Death of the Dragon - 30 days of carnage (July 25)

emilyelowe

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
6 hours ago, emilyelowe said:

The more the merrier, @MonikaDelilah! That is such a great goal - I can't wait to hear about your progress! That's the beauty of the Whole30 - it helps you learn how to manage YOUR body, and YOUR genetics. That's something that hadn't clicked with me until recently (thank you, What the Health?, for that ONE positive piece of information) that I think is really important. 

@SugarcubeOD Dirty Dancing is one of my dad's favorite movies (and mine)! He had a huge crush on Jennifer Gray when he was younger (I did not). Haha. I'm also very petite but... feisty? so seem to often have "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," said in my direction. Not sure what's up with that. (I wish there was a shrug emoji - if there was, I would put it here). 

Also, LOVE THAT TITLE. We're going to be rich when that movie comes out. ;) I wish we could add a Subtitle to the name of this chain!

Interesting about the dukkah - I'll have to look for it/its ingredients. The idea of a nice crunch sounds DELIGHTFUL. And if I hate it, I'll try not to let @ladyshanny know if I agree with her. Haha. 

I'm not in a good place today as far as Riding My Own Bike goes so was starting to think about the NSVs I want to get from this next Whole30 and thought I should document them here.

As I'm writing these, I'm realizing you're about to get to know me very well very quickly. Please, don't run off! 

Non-Scale Goals:

1. NO MORE BLOATING 

2. Fewer headaches

3. Control of my Sugar Dragon - I don't think I'm one of those people that will ever shrug him entirely, but when he shows up I want to be able to ignore him with limited effort. I'm the Boss!

4. Clearer skin - less dry, improved dandruff and psoriasis symptoms, maybe no pimples during my period?

5. Regular digestion

6. Improved stamina and continued gains at the gym

7. Energy and alertness upon waking

8. Increased interest in... intimacy 

9. Improved meal packing/planning skills and execution (I want it to be a habit, not a chore)

10. And probably the most important: Food Freedom. I listed this as one of my Goals for 2017 at the beginning of the year because I feel like God has been showing me that I have given food too much power - it has become an idol that I let control my feelings, my choices, my mindset, etc. and that is not where food belongs. I've already made significant progress in this area with the other Whole30s I have done this year but I am so grateful that this process has grace built in so I can come back and try to learn more!

OK, enough serious stuff for the day. I'm off to have my last margarita before The Death of the Dragon - 30 Days of Carnage kicks off. ;) Have a good one!

I love this list!  I was thinking of my goals today as well so I think I"ll copy you and put down a list :)  Yes, we're about to get to know eachother very well!  That's awesome!!

1. Less stiffness - Gosh, in the last few days I'm so stiff I feel like I"m made of wood!

2. Stop feeling so inclined to nap after work - I've been doing it more and more and I hate it!

3. Get my groove back in the kitchen! - I'm a good cook, I really should flex that blessing regularly!

4. Back to only spending $100 a week on everything I eat or drink. - I used to do this and it's greeeeat for the bank account and honestly, I feel a bit like a badass... I save $20 a week on coffee out this way, so that works out that all my food is essentially free!

5. I've been having rashes and allergic skin reactions, especially on my brand new tattoo, so that's gotta stop - it's 100% from poor eating!

6. My hair really suffered when I had to start taking my meds for my mental health issues, so I would like it to improve - I realize this is extremely vain but it's not nice when your hair falls out in clumps... that's stopped now but it needs some definite improvement!

7. Calm the inner chatter - when I eat properly and feel empowered by doing so, the background chatter in my head and body quiet and I can hear again... I need to be able to hear where I'm supposed to go from here, what my purpose is/was from this last year and I can't HEAR it right now!

8. Dropping a few pounds - this would be a nice bonus, but not the focus or intent and as I don't own a scale, I won't know what the numbers are... I do know tho, that I would be happy in my body at its current weight if all those above things were taken care of!

That's them!  @emilyelowe, I have a premade Lime Ceaser in the fridge and it's going down tomorrow night and then that's a wrap on booze!  I changed the name of our group - I'm so excited for this journey with you guys!  I have my menu for next week all planned, which I will share tomorrow, my ipad is running on fumes at the moment!

Have a great night!

Day 5 is starting and the hardest part for me is eating breakfast in the early morning hours. I would always get up, get ready and head out the door. I get to work at 7 am and then I'd eat about 9/10ish. I've started making myself eat at 7 and I know I should be eating as soon as I get up but I haven't been able to make that happen. I figure that 7 is a good as time as any. Anyhoo, why is so hard to eat at this hour? I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat. Did anyone else have this problem or is this my body saying I don't need as much food as I thought I did because I had a big dinner? Any suggestions? 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MonikaDelilah said:

Day 5 is starting and the hardest part for me is eating breakfast in the early morning hours. I would always get up, get ready and head out the door. I get to work at 7 am and then I'd eat about 9/10ish. I've started making myself eat at 7 and I know I should be eating as soon as I get up but I haven't been able to make that happen. I figure that 7 is a good as time as any. Anyhoo, why is so hard to eat at this hour? I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat. Did anyone else have this problem or is this my body saying I don't need as much food as I thought I did because I had a big dinner? Any suggestions? 

This is a very VERY common problem and it's due to your cortisol and leptin hormones being out of whack... the only way to fix it (and you DO want to fix it), is to plate up a template breakfast, eat around the plate from each section and when you can't eat anymore, take it with you and eat from it as soon as you're able to keep it down (not waiting for the next meal time).  Gently increase how much you eat as you're able until you're eating a full meal within an hour of waking... 

If you would like further discussion about this, you can google things like whole30 + can't eat breakfast or similar... there are discussions all over :)

On 19/7/2017 at 5:40 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

They're okay in limited quantities with all other seeds, nuts and their products... using on a salad, coating some meat once in a while, sprinkling on eggplant... all okay :)

Sesame oil is okay too and it can add a delicious rich flavor to foods like stir fry and eggs!

Awesome!!! Wanna try dukkah right now!

• Moderators

Guys!  I made the ceviche from the Wholesome Newsletter this week.  Holy mother of pearl, it was amazing!  I had it on roasted tri colored potato with a blob of mayo and then put a spoonful of the acid mixture over the top of the whole thing... WoW!  It's on my instagram (which you're all welcome to join along on, assuming you love pictures of my cat!) Sugarcubeod.

When I was making the marinade yesterday and my kitchen was filled with the scent of freshly grated ginger, I realized how absolutely privileged I am to be able to choose to eat this way!  Privileged to have the ability to cook for myself with fresh and flavorful ingredients!  Somewhere along the way I forgot that... 

Anyway, countdown is on!  3 sleeps or less for this group to start!  What's on your meal plans for the first week?  (hint hint - ceviche!)

Thinking about joining your group.  Keep saying I am going to W30 again but have not been able to get reach the proper mindset.  Maybe with support/accountability I could do it.

Hi Sugarcube - I love what you wrote about feeling privileged to eat this way.

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I've been reading the books (whole30 and other paleo recipe books), sourcing for some ingredients, and I'm going to start whole30 along with my husband for the first time this week. I'm looking at starting on 26th July. Hope that it's not too late to join this group. I'm trying hard to do some meal prep these few days (just started curing paleo bacon today). A little nervous but pretty excited too! 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Laurie said:

Thinking about joining your group.  Keep saying I am going to W30 again but have not been able to get reach the proper mindset.  Maybe with support/accountability I could do it.

Hi Sugarcube - I love what you wrote about feeling privileged to eat this way.

LAURIE!!!  Oh join us!!!  Glad to see you still here and I hope things have been going better for you!!  It's going to be a fun month so definitely join us in our Dragon killing group!

I am in.  Today, July 24, will be day one for me.  Boiling some eggs and cooking chicken breast and green beans right now.

@SugarcubeOD- I have come a long way  since we last spoke.  It has been extremely difficult but I do see light instead of living in darkness all the time. Lots to share so I will email you.

I have done many W30s and 30 day plus but I have never been able to follow all of the recommendations, only the rules.  I often eat when not hungry - would love to break that habit.  One bad discovery - RX bars.  I need to say good bye to them.  I don't have weight to drop but I do need to improve my relationship with food.  I have had eating disorder/body image disorders for most of my adult life.  Nothing really serious but it does cause a lot of depression.

One reason I am doing another round is that I greatly desire and need more control in my life.  Lost the love of my life in November 2015.  Losing Steve completely destroyed me.  In January of this year, I made the decision that I had to learn to live again.  Now I am ready to focus on being the best me possible.

@emilyelowe thank you for starting this group.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and sharing this journey.

Hey guys, I need some help here. I was researching on Whole30 breakfast recipes (I think breakfast is the toughest because we're used to bread, cereals, muffins etc...) and there's this link for 30 whole30 breakfasts that I found online. I'm a little unsure if some of these recipes are whole30 even though the ingredients are compliant. Things like chia seed pudding (sweetened with bananas), or this breakfast bowl with banana and eggs fried up (sounds like a pancake?) topped with shredded coconut, and this cinnamon apple grain free porridge

Any thoughts? Oh, and the list of whole30 breakfasts can be found here. Many great suggestions there (just unsure about a couple). Thanks!

@Delicacious No to the chia seed pudding, No to the cinnamon apple grain free porridge.  These are recreations of cereal and they do not meet the template.  The breakfast bowl is better because it includes 2 eggs but it is not the best choice - you need  about 3 eggs or 2 eggs and an additional source of protein and veggies.  My suggestion would be to skip the breakfast bowl.

@SugarcubeOD Thanks for the ceviche recommendation! I didn't even see the recipe in the newsletter until you mentioned it. Now I've got it saved and I'll have to try it next weekend. I keep saying I need to incorporate more seafood into my diet, so that would be a great start. I think I might need to make the Mexican Salmon Cakes sometime this week too. The recipe is from the whole30 cookbook, but I think it can be found on this website under "recipes". So good! 

This weekend I made the balsamic stuffed eggplant recipe I mentioned earlier in this thread and it was just OK. It was a good way to try some new veggies, so I'm not complaining, but I probably wouldn't make it again without some modifications. One caveat: I bought canned roasted peppers and they weren't super flavorful, so maybe next time I'd have to make my own. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress in this group! I swear I went through some of the early days of Whole30 symptoms last week while I was recovering from my weekend of off-plan food. I was moving, and most of my kitchen was packed away for most of the weekend. I pre-made plenty of meat, but kept running out of veggies, so I ended up eating a lot of gluten, sugar, and some pre-packaged foods. My body did not take kindly to that treatment, so I'll be able to be sympathetic as you all go through the process!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Simon T (UK) said:

Hi All, @Laurie sent me to this group as I started today.

Do you have room for one more (a first timer)? 

edit: P.S. How do you link to someone's name correctly?

Yes, definitely!

You did the linking right, after you typed her name, you would click on the selection that came up under the name... it doesn't always work tho for some reason.

• Moderators

I started today!  Breakfast was leftover roasted potato and a pan of sautee'd green beans and then the left over ceviche over the top and a blob of mayo.  Amazing worlds open up when you consider any food a breakfast food!!

My menu for the week is set and mostly prepped. I made food for four put together options of food and every meal will be some combination of what's been made... as we get to the end of the week, it's going to get a bit weird with leftovers but that's how I roll ;)

Option 1 is sausage and veggie stirfry with two eggs fried on top and avocado (or mayo if they don't hurry up and ripen!)

Option 2 is Chicken thighs roasted with Penzy's 33rd and Galena spice mix on ceaser salad with home made ceaser dressing.

Option 3 is Salmon cakes with coleslaw

Option 4 is Lime Chili Cod with Eggplant and Cauliflower Bake.

Lets get after it!! :D

@Simon T (UK) type the @ sign and start typing the name and then select the name from the list of names that appears.  Sometimes I have trouble getting the link to work.  Glad you joined our group.

@JKF_ATL Welcome to our group (guess the link isn't working this time)

For the newbies, beware of the fruit (dried and fresh), nuts, nut butters, larabars, rx bars.  Those foods may be complaint but overconsuming those will interfere with your results.  Fruit and nuts are best when added to meals and nut consumed on their own.  Larabars, Rx bars are for emergencies.  During my first few W30's I ate way too much fresh fruit (never did the dry fruit), nuts and nut butters.  I have also done W30s with no fruit or nuts.  I used to love fruit but it doesn't do much for me anymore.

Started the day with a very long walk.  M1 was 3 eggs, green beans and zucchini.  Drank 4 cups of water - 2 with breakfast and 2 in the early morning with black coffee.

@NoneOtherThanAmy  - I know you are working on your food freedom but I hope you will contribute to this thread often.  I love learning from other people's experiences.

As I am typing, I am getting notifications that @SugarcubeOD has replied so I will now submit my post so that I can read her posts.

For some reason, most of my links have not worked.

I am going to be joining you ladies on this adventure as well. @SugarcubeOD helped me a lot on the last one. I had to do a very low carb but then crazy life happened and started cheating again. I am still a slave to the sugar dragon and I just need to get back off it again. I think I will start with no limits on the correct foods and then do a wean off to getting off starchy veggies would be the most successful action at this point. That is what my Doctor is currently wanting me to eat. I am not sure if I am going to add the fruit back in because I haven’t added that yet. I will stay off pork since I am already off it. I need to not do onions, garlic, and most of the peppers.

The recipes look amazing and I can’t wait to try some of them.

My NSV Goals are:

1. Get a better handle on the sugar dragon

2. Hopefully get rid of my itching (I have gone off of my allergy medicine and since then I am very itch. I am unclear if it is a side effect of going off the cetirizine because I didn’t really deal with body itching only in the eyes.)

3. Less indigestion and gas

4. Less or get rid of my hot flashes. When I eat better I don’t get as many.

My husband and I are starting our 4th Whole 30 on July 25th.  emilyelowe, I also live in the Columbus, Ohio, area!  I have found Trader Joe's and Whole Foods to be very helpful for grocery shopping for things like compliant salsa and cauliflower rice (Trader J's), and compliant salad dressings (Whole Foods).  

Wendy

Thanks @Laurie & @SugarcubeOD

I was Paleo until just over two years ago, when I started allowing non-paleo food back in to my diet.... one thing led to another and voila.... no more Paleo.
I remember reading "It Starts with Food" some years ago and liking what it had to say, so thought this was the perfect way to reboot and start a fresh new outlook on food and what we (Me, Wife and Fam) eat.

Feeling fine at the moment, but I know days 10 through 12 will have me climbing up the walls... so I'll need a helping hand and shoulder to cry on.

If there's anything I can help anyone with, please give me a shout.  Not sure how much help I can be as a newbie, but I can try.

You guys, THIS IS TOTALLY AMAZING. I am so happy to see so many people joining us as I know each of you will be a support to me (and hopefully I to you) at some point in the next 30 days! Welcome to all of the new folks - you make my heart happy. :D

I start tomorrow and am going to do most of my food prep tomorrow after work. Tomorrow breakfast will be eggs, peppers, avocado (it's going to have to be a good enough is good enough kind of morning, as I haven't had time to prepare anything) and lunch will be ground beef, peppers, greens, compliant marinara sauce, and cauliflower. Then I have to spend tomorrow evening prepping for the rest of the week! Eek! Off the top of my head, I'm planning to make some chicken, peppers, sweet potatoes, broccoli fritters, okra (if I can find it), and some other new things I found online. I am really hoping to branch out a little during this Whole30 as I usually eat the same things all the time (peppers, sweet potatoes, avocado - repeat). I also don't like fish, so wondering if there's something I can do to start working some of the milder fish into my diet. Anyone have any suggestions?

@Wendy and Frankie You have to check out Fresh Thyme! It's the bomb.com. Maybe we can meet some time!

Unfortunately, I can't relate to the breakfast problem. I wake up thinking about breakfast (let's be honest - I FALL ASLEEP thinking about breakfast) and I LOVE eggs. I actually have to stop myself from eating them for every meal because I don't particularly like meat unless it is ground or shredded. I struggle to just cut open a grilled chicken breast and eat it. It's a weird thing that's developed in the last 6 months or so. ANYWAY. 

I am also excited about this Whole30 because I am planning to incorporate other good-for-me habits like collagen peptides, vitamin D3, magnesium, and fish oil supplements. Plus I start a new lifting routine this week, so really hoping to get off on the right foot. Thanks to all of you, I'm not sure how I could not. :)

Have a great Day 0/1/2/3 or whatever day you're on! :) 

Oh! Here are my social media accounts, as well, if anyone is interested. It's mostly pictures of my dog and sometimes my food. :)

Facebook: Emily Lowe

Instagram: emilyelisabethlowe

Snapchat: esmalleslowe

I usually deny people I don't know so if you add me and I deny you, I didn't make the connection, so let me know on here. Haha!

Archived