Death of the Dragon - 30 days of carnage (July 25)

emilyelowe

51 minutes ago, FairyL0u said:

Day 2 for me and still feeling obscenely bloated but that'll be gone in a couple of days, it's entirely my own fault and caused by consuming large quantities of things on holiday that are not healthy for me :).

I have a question; I am cooking pork chops tonight, braised with onion, garlic, mushrooms, chicory, tarragon & thyme (serving w/ brocolli, cauliflower, courgette, etc. to get PLENTY of veg in) -  usually I'd use Vermouth or white wine to braise in but clearly that's not happening today - has anyone tried using appple juice and cider vinegar in combination instead of white wine in cooking? Does it work? Will it render perfectly good ingredients immediately inedible? I'm likely to eat and enjoy the results in any case but my husband doesn't share my motivation to avoid the wine I'd normally be using.... :D

I've used stock in place of wine plenty of times when I cook for the kids and can't use wine. Apple juice could work but it'd change the taste quite abit? Maybe a splash of apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar might work? 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Delicacious said:

I've used stock in place of wine plenty of times when I cook for the kids and can't use wine. Apple juice could work but it'd change the taste quite abit? Maybe a splash of apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar might work? 

Thanks for this - I've no compliant stock in the house so I think I'll try the mix of juice & vinegar, there's only one way to find out...

21 minutes ago, FairyL0u said:

Thanks for this - I've no compliant stock in the house so I think I'll try the mix of juice & vinegar, there's only one way to find out...

It probably works. The tartness of the vinegar will likely balance out the sweetness in juice. 

This is day 1 for me. I was called into work early yesterday morning and didn't have time to do any additional prep and had to just grab food on the go. It's a miracle I made it out of the house and to work without stopping by for fast food. And it was a very big crunch this morning. I actually have to bring my breakfast to work because I didn't have time to eat it. But yay I didn't succumb to my negotiator today and swing by and get something to eat. So this is example how my morning ran today, I went to go get gas and there was no gas attendant. And no way to pay at the pump either. 

II still haven't really had the time to to do a complete prep but I at least have enough made so that I could grab some stuff and go. Although I did make my eggs this morning. Tomorrow hopefully I can do more prep which would be great. 

Let me tell you a little more about myself. I am a personal assistant in Los Angeles. I have weak adrenals but they are doing better. I have a lot of allergies to things, which I know this will improve. I have been battling my sugar dragon for a very long time. And it has been a long road to recovery for my adrenals. I really went off track with the death of my parents in the last few years. Things just went out of control and I am working to put discipline back into my life with food and have a much better relationship with it instead of just feeding the monster.  

I found the whole 30 in 2013 when I was diagnosed with Leakey Gut and that was my only completed program. I have had many false starts and stops over the years. I am so glad that I found this group this time and look forward to this journey with all of your.  I am not going to do RX or the other compliant bars this time. I have ordered the daily email because it really helps me stay on track. 

Breakfast today  2 scrambled eggs with 2 compliant turkey bacon, sautéed kale, cucumbers with some avocado

Meatloaf with mixed green salad and sautéed Swiss chard

Tuna salad with raw mixed veggies: zucchini, yellow squash, celery, and green beans and a mint cucumber coconut dipping sauce

Emergency food in case I didn't grab enough food for my meals is 2 hard boiled eggs and some pistachio nuts.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Delicacious said:

Hmm. It's 4pm and I'm hungry after having my lunch at 12pm. I prepared one baked chicken leg with some cauliflower cous cous, side of tomatoes and cucumbers. Does that mean I'm not eating enough since I'm hungry that soon? I'm trying to figure out just how much food I need to prepare. My previous meals were typically rice or noodles and those were easily filling and could last me till dinner with no snack in between. Should I add more protein or a starchy veg? 

In addition to what @Laurie said, you have no fat with your meal... avocado would have gone well with that and yes, the palm serving size is how much actual meat is on the leg, so I also think you were a bit light there. :)

I am again amazed by all of you. I don't know how I'm going to keep up with this group! :) 

Welcome @FairyL0u and @Striving2017 and anyone else I missed!

So sorry about your bloating, @FairyL0u - that is probably my LEAST favorite digestive symptom. Ugh. Hope it goes away quickly!

@Delicacious How is your cold doing? I also had a cold at the beginning of my last Whole30 and it is so hard not to turn to the things you normally would when you are feeling crummy. :( 

Congrats @MonikaDelilah on staying true during all of those different activities! And the waitress - isn't it funny how small the Whole30 world can be? I had a similar thing happen to me in a Bible study.

@Mooie, aren't all the old posts great!?! I also love just cruising around the forum reading up on things when I have extra time.

It's Day 2 for me and I am also feeling positive. Still lots of work to do but just having a plan I can stick to is so uplifting, I already feel lighter (not physically, but spiritually, I guess?). Let me check back with you on that this weekend, though. :P Haha.

Someone asked about meal prep and I really like to meal prep. I rarely cook immediately before eating (except my eggs in the morning, because I like them over-easy). So lunches and breakfast potatoes/veggies are always prepped over the weekend and waiting in the fridge. This round, my husband is joining me and he would like to cook more immediately before eating, so apparently we are going to start cooking dinner, but if I could meal prep every meal for every day, I totally would. Like I think @SugarcubeOD said, it makes the morning less stressful and takes away any excuses you have in the evening. One Whole30 I prepped and froze lunch and dinner food for the entire month. 

I also started eating my breakfast at home (instead of my desk) during one of my previous Whole30s and I really like it. It just feels like it makes the morning feel less rushed and I don't go all day without seeing my husband and dog because I feel like I get to see them in the morning. Mind you I'm usually standing and like washing dishes and packing my lunch while I eat, so not exactly the recommendation, but it's still way more relaxing and delicious than bringing it to work. 

I went home to an evening of meal prep yesterday, which went pretty well. I tried some new recipes - baked okra, broccoli fritters - so I am feeling excited about that. I also managed to eat grilled chicken (I normally don't like "whole meats,") with primal kitchen mayo. I don't really like mayo either but it seems to be a common way people get fat so I thought I would try it. I mixed in some ranch dressing and spices to make it less mayo-y and it was OK. Looking forward to playing with that. If anyone has any fun mayo (think chipotle, etc) ideas, definitely let me know. 

Of course, a Whole30 wouldn't be fun without some drama, so then MY DOG ATE MY MEAL PREP. Dog ate 5 pounds of perfectly grilled chicken off the counter like a ninja :ph34r: while my husband and I were eating dinner in the other room. So THAT was awesome. Oddly enough, I was not nearly as mad as I could have been. It was just one of those things. Like I said, Whole30 helps make my soul feel light. :lol:

Breakfast today: roasted sweet potatoes, okra, bell peppers, two eggs, and a couple strawberries.

Lunch: ground beef, peppers, greens, red sauce, and broccoli fritters.

Things awaiting me in my fridge: sweet potatoes, broccoli fritters, okra, peppers, sweet potato noodle buns, crunchy garlic potatoes wedges, garlic mayo, and (hopefully) a new tray of grilled chicken my hubby was going to try to make during his lunch break. Haha!

Have a great day#whatever everyone!

Oh, also, despite feeling lighter and very motivated, I am still fighting the Sugar Dragon tooth and nail. Yesterday was a blessing because I had a pretty busy day at work, but even so there were multiple times throughout the day where I thought, "Oh, I'll go grab a piece of chocolate - wait, no." "Oh, I wonder if there's a food truck today? - wait, no." "Maybe I'll have a piece of gum - wait, no." It's amazing how quickly these habits form that we don't even realize it!

• Moderators

@emilyelowe - I like what you said about feeling lighter :)  It never ceases to amaze me that by the end of the first day or the beginning of the second day of doing a Whole30, I ALWAYS feel more calm... more light and bouncy in spirit... It would be interesting to dig into that a bit and see why it is... my assumption is because when you honor your body and your mind by being kind, your body and your mind respond... I guess just like being kind to someone who's having a bad day can lift them up, being kind to yourself can lift YOU up... interesting :)

I had a terrible sleep last night and slept in this am... luckily my job is pretty casual about start/stop times so I'll just work a little later today.  After I cleaned up dinner yesterday, I got it in my head that I had to clean up my vintage breadbox (which is basically like my junk drawer)... so I puttered and picked through and threw out a ton of old business cards, receipts (WHY do I keep those??).  It's one of those 'extra' things that I would have normally always done but with the fatigue and mood fluctuations from what I've been going through this last year, there was no way I could do it... and then voila, yesterday it happened!

These types of spiritual, emotional and fatigue related changes are what I'm most looking forward to this month... :)

Emily, don't forget to add fat to your meals :)  I saw it yesterday too, but I think maybe you've just forgotten to mention the fat?  Also, eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping so maybe up the protein a bit?  You might feel great now, but nutrition is cumulative so it could catch up with you :) 

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, emilyelowe said:

I am again amazed by all of you. I don't know how I'm going to keep up with this group! :) 

Welcome @FairyL0u and @Striving2017 and anyone else I missed!

So sorry about your bloating, @FairyL0u - that is probably my LEAST favorite digestive symptom. Ugh. Hope it goes away quickly!

@Delicacious How is your cold doing? I also had a cold at the beginning of my last Whole30 and it is so hard not to turn to the things you normally would when you are feeling crummy. :( 

Congrats @MonikaDelilah on staying true during all of those different activities! And the waitress - isn't it funny how small the Whole30 world can be? I had a similar thing happen to me in a Bible study.

@Mooie, aren't all the old posts great!?! I also love just cruising around the forum reading up on things when I have extra time.

It's Day 2 for me and I am also feeling positive. Still lots of work to do but just having a plan I can stick to is so uplifting, I already feel lighter (not physically, but spiritually, I guess?). Let me check back with you on that this weekend, though. :P Haha.

Someone asked about meal prep and I really like to meal prep. I rarely cook immediately before eating (except my eggs in the morning, because I like them over-easy). So lunches and breakfast potatoes/veggies are always prepped over the weekend and waiting in the fridge. This round, my husband is joining me and he would like to cook more immediately before eating, so apparently we are going to start cooking dinner, but if I could meal prep every meal for every day, I totally would. Like I think @SugarcubeOD said, it makes the morning less stressful and takes away any excuses you have in the evening. One Whole30 I prepped and froze lunch and dinner food for the entire month. 

I also started eating my breakfast at home (instead of my desk) during one of my previous Whole30s and I really like it. It just feels like it makes the morning feel less rushed and I don't go all day without seeing my husband and dog because I feel like I get to see them in the morning. Mind you I'm usually standing and like washing dishes and packing my lunch while I eat, so not exactly the recommendation, but it's still way more relaxing and delicious than bringing it to work. 

I went home to an evening of meal prep yesterday, which went pretty well. I tried some new recipes - baked okra, broccoli fritters - so I am feeling excited about that. I also managed to eat grilled chicken (I normally don't like "whole meats,") with primal kitchen mayo. I don't really like mayo either but it seems to be a common way people get fat so I thought I would try it. I mixed in some ranch dressing and spices to make it less mayo-y and it was OK. Looking forward to playing with that. If anyone has any fun mayo (think chipotle, etc) ideas, definitely let me know. 

Of course, a Whole30 wouldn't be fun without some drama, so then MY DOG ATE MY MEAL PREP. Dog ate 5 pounds of perfectly grilled chicken off the counter like a ninja :ph34r: while my husband and I were eating dinner in the other room. So THAT was awesome. Oddly enough, I was not nearly as mad as I could have been. It was just one of those things. Like I said, Whole30 helps make my soul feel light. :lol:

Breakfast today: roasted sweet potatoes, okra, bell peppers, two eggs, and a couple strawberries.

Lunch: ground beef, peppers, greens, red sauce, and broccoli fritters.

Things awaiting me in my fridge: sweet potatoes, broccoli fritters, okra, peppers, sweet potato noodle buns, crunchy garlic potatoes wedges, garlic mayo, and (hopefully) a new tray of grilled chicken my hubby was going to try to make during his lunch break. Haha!

Oh and YEEEESSSS to the baked okra!  I LOVE okra!  That's going on the menu for next week for SURE!

Yep not enough grabbed for breakfast. Hungry again. Going to 3 meals a day is going to be a challenge for me. I am used to doing 4-5 smaller meals because of the hypoglycemia but I am going to try this time around. And now my employer just started baking my favorite cookies for her trip. Please give me strength!!:wacko:

Good afternoon W30 Family!

struggling with sleep...I know it's situational right now (huge stressful project) I'm taking care of myself in a whole so it will all come together.

i cleaned and organized my fridge this morning, and I can see I need more veggies. Proteins and spices are good!

i actually finished my whole breakfast....took a bit but I got it down.  Next meal will be around 3 and dinner at 7:30.

i found a few "rules" yesterday on the fundamentals of Whole 30!! Sooooooo happy I found it....I have such conviction in myself on following this to the core.  And I'm excited to learn about myself, triggers, actually being in tune to me.

i had to break my night down into 15 minute moments on what my head was telling me.  This will be a challenge for me...I see a back to back Whole 30 for me....I have a very unhealthy relationship with food.  Even though I am a nutritional expert...I don't do what I know.  Huge disconnect.  I'm excited!!!!

keeping it real, trusting in the process.  

And this one is a big one.....I put away ,y weight scale and I am NOT weighing my food or counting calories or tracking!!

OMG!  So huge!!!  

Mooie

1 hour ago, emilyelowe said:

Emily....I had to laugh out loud at your ninja dog!! So unbleveiable it made me giggle....can't make real life up!

and.....hello sweet potato noodle buns????  I will be googling that stat!

have a great day

@SugarcubeOD I actually don't think I did forget to tell you about the fat - haha! The fritters were cooked in a lot of oil so I hadn't really thought about adding fat and normally I have guac with breakfast but it was so good this morning, I didn't really need it. Good catch! I will try to think about that more. 

Stay strong @EJSmadhatter! Cookies are not helpful right now. "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial." You're investing in yourself and it WILL be worth it. 

Good job, @Mooie! Oh man - the dog is a hoot. He's never taken food before so not sure if he's just getting older/braver or if it was just too delicious-looking to pass up! He can rest his head on the counter while standing, so it was pretty easy for him to ninja eat everything on the tray. Uuuuuugh. 

I made these noodle buns. I love the Inspiralized website! Her recipe index is really easy to use based on what you've got/want. You'll just have to watch as most of her overall meals are not Paleo/Whole30, so I usually end up eating components of her meals mixed with other Whole30 meal template items. 

I'm realizing I definitely haven't had enough water today and am starting to feel bloated. I really need to watch that. Does anyone have any strategies for making sure you drink enough water? I have a bottle at my desk but usually forget to drink unless I'm eating, which is fine when you're a grazer but not so good when you're eating 3 times a day. 

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

These types of spiritual, emotional and fatigue related changes are what I'm most looking forward to this month... :)

ME TOO! I work full time and then some, study and then there's the whole house-buying process on top of that. I notice that I'm way less motivated to study when I'm eating poorly. By around the end of the second week of a Whole30, on the other hand, my powers of concentration are insane. And after the first few days, I stop wanting to just lay on the couch after work. Also, just emotionally, I do much better. 

Happy day whatever to all! This crew is fun haha. 

@EJSmadhatter Sending you strength to make it through today! I also didn't have a big enough breakfast - totally my fault, the breakfast was pretty light to begin with ( ~2 eggs + a compliant chicken sausage with bacon mushrooms and onions) and then I didn't even eat it all! I ate lunch at a normal time today, but I was hungry about 3-ish hours later. Thinking back, my lunch was short on fat and possibly protein. :wacko: Definitely not the best day food-wise for me. Plus, I forgot to pack a pre-WO snack. I finished my breakfast, so that'll have to do for now.

@Mooie I'm so glad I'm not the only one who laughed about the dog eating all Emily's food. I felt bad because I know how hard it would be to lose so much prep work, but the image of her dog just chowing down all that chicken still makes me giggle. I also love that you've put away your scale...I mean, it IS a rule to not weigh yourself, but it's SO tempting to do during the Whole30. I struggled with it for the first few weeks until one of the mods said something along the lines of "people aren't cattle, so we don't need to be weighed" and that really helped me put my weight into perspective. There is absolutely no reason I need to know my weight, other than to track progress and there are plenty of NSVs that I can use to track my progress instead. I made the decision to throw out my scale when I moved and I'm quite happy without it. :) 

I'm exhausted today, but I'm thinking it's because I under ate today, plus I've had a long week already with an experiment that requires me to stand for hours on end. I'm always tired when I finish these experiments. I'm going to my running group this afternoon and I'm pretty excited...the temperature is under 90! Hopefully this will be a good run even though I'm tired. I even remembered to grab my unflavored Propel for electrolytes, so I don't have to drink the dextrose and stevia-sweetened electrolyte drink they provide for us. 

This is getting to be a bit of a ramble-y post, but this is an experience maybe some of you can relate to. I was talking with a friend about one of my NSVs (that I've dropped about 2 pants sizes in the last 3 months) and she congratulated me, but then said, "And you're not even trying!"....Huh? I think she meant that I'm not weighing out my food, I don't feel deprived, and I'm still eating delicious food all day long, but still, her comment threw me a little. This IS hard work and I'm trying very hard at being healthy! I've never cooked this much or done so many dishes in my life! :P

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

, "And you're not even trying!"....Huh? I think she meant that I'm not weighing out my food, I don't feel deprived, and I'm still eating delicious food all day long, but still, her comment threw me a little. This IS hard work and I'm trying very hard at being healthy! I've never cooked this much or done so many dishes in my life! :P

This sentiment irks me on so many levels... I believe it's due to people only putting out their successes and not accompanying it with the hardwork required to get there... like someone who has really climbed their career ladder... it might 'look' like they were just successful, but what you don't see is all the late hours, cancelled plans etc... to work at it... Same with this... things that can be considered success are things you've worked for... otherwise they're just happy accidents... and no one maintains a healthy way of eating and honoring their body by happy accident!  go on with your bad hard working self!

@SugarcubeOD: I get it now - I was going by the size of the chicken leg+thigh and thought it looked huge. Bones don't count. As for fat - did the olive oil I used to cook the chicken and the ghee used to fry the cauliflower count? Or does it have to be added 1-2 tbsp of fat? I bought avocados but unfortunately they are still looking green on my counter. Need to wait a day or two more. 

@emilyelowe: Nose is still kinda blocked and I developed a very irritating cough yesterday. Hopefully it gets better today.   I usually drink honey lemon when I'm having a cough but that's clearly not happening this time so I'm just drinking warm water to soothe the throat. Speaking of water, what one colleague does is to place a 3 liter bottle on his table and he has to finish it within the work day. So that ensures he drinks enough water. 

@NoneOtherThanAmy: I wonder if not many people get the point of Whole30. The reactions I've gotten ranged from "you're going to reduce yourself to nothing!" to "what then can you eat?". You're doing an awesome job! Keep going! 

It's day 2 morning for me: Ate breakfast within 1 hour of waking up. Scrambled some eggs, panfried two small sausage patties and a large portion of spinach leaves with a lemon olive oil vinagrette. Small wins. 

@Delicacious not sure if this would sooth your throat, I've done very warm water and a tbl of coconut oil.

hope you feel better soon.

i made the brocolli fritters for lunch....and they were awesome! Thanks @Emilyelowe for the link....side note....had two fritters and they went right through me....not sure what happened there.  Took a nap and woke with a nice surge of energy.

im suppose to have dinner at 7:30 and have zero appetite, I'm going to cook my salmon and pick away at it.

also...I think it was @SugarcubeOD who "shut down her kitchen" that is now my new favorite saying!!  BAM

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mooie said:

@Delicacious not sure if this would sooth your throat, I've done very warm water and a tbl of coconut oil.

hope you feel better soon.

i made the brocolli fritters for lunch....and they were awesome! Thanks @Emilyelowe for the link....side note....had two fritters and they went right through me....not sure what happened there.  Took a nap and woke with a nice surge of energy.

im suppose to have dinner at 7:30 and have zero appetite, I'm going to cook my salmon and pick away at it.

also...I think it was @SugarcubeOD who "shut down her kitchen" that is now my new favorite saying!!  BAM

Yep, that was me that said that but I got it from @ladyshanny - bet you guys didn't know she's my sista! ;)

• Moderators

So I went to the beach two weeks ago, got a mild sunburn and whammo, 2 coldsores.  Accidentally got scorched on Sunday and now WHAMMO, two more... if you're counting that's two sunburns and FOUR coldsores!  And I'm on Day 3 so it's not like my energy is soaring...

No harm no foul tho... had myself some breakfast for dinner, a Dasani sparkling water with homemade shrub (basically fermented fruit vinegar) and will now partake in trash TV (Real Housewives, don't judge, I have FOUR coldsores on my face!).

Happy whatever day you're on today!

32 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

So I went to the beach two weeks ago, got a mild sunburn and whammo, 2 coldsores.  Accidentally got scorched on Sunday and now WHAMMO, two more... if you're counting that's two sunburns and FOUR coldsores!  And I'm on Day 3 so it's not like my energy is soaring...

No harm no foul tho... had myself some breakfast for dinner, a Dasani sparkling water with homemade shrub (basically fermented fruit vinegar) and will now partake in trash TV (Real Housewives, don't judge, I have FOUR coldsores on my face!).

Happy whatever day you're on today!

Yikes. Hope those sores will heal quickly! 

I'm feeling pretty perky this morning - guess an early breakfast is definitely the way to go. I found COMPLIANT SMOKED SALMON from a japanese online food store! *Happy dance*. I realised the pack at home had added sugar and was so disappointed. Have a good rest everyone!

Skin cancer survivor here....your sunburn sounds like a owie, and 4 cold sores.  Lots of water for you :)

Cool you're on here with your sister! Nice! I'm doing the 30 days with my sister, daughter and niece...another sister is joining us come Monday.  So lots of support! This is our 2/3 time in the last year.

i LOVE all the housewives!!! My guilt pleasure!  

Day 3.... check!!

@Delicacious....the coconut also makes your lips super soft.  

I haven't read through all the posts yet, but I'm starting tomorrow and hope you don't mind if I join! I did my first round on May 1, and I LOVED it. About halfway through, we found out we were going to be moving across the country about a month from then. We literally left the last day of my reintroduction, and we took a month long road trip from Anchorage, Alaska to Georgia. Well, as you might imagine, my plan to stay with my personalized diet plan flew out the window (and was trampled on by all the bison we saw). So I'm here to reset, and I'm doing a whole60 so that I'm not just resetting my body, but also my habits. I feel like poop right now, and I am sooooo looking forward to the energy I had about two weeks into my first round. 

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Mooie said:

Skin cancer survivor here....your sunburn sounds like a owie, and 4 cold sores.  Lots of water for you :)

Ya, I"m a redhead and I didn't really remember that some meds make you eeeeextra sensitive to the sun, so burned like a roasted tomato through sunscreen :(  Going outside in plain daylight makes me feel like I"m going to self combust it's so hot on my skin... I've been downing gallons of water and shockingly didn't end up with sunstroke... my only saving grace!

Good for you for beating skin cancer... what a terrifying thought!

Archived