Chicken Bouillon

AndieK

So I'm on day two, and I made Whole30 Cauliflower Rice, well as I was cooking, I didn't realize homemade broth meant the chicken bone broth and I used my chicken bouillon cubes I had in my cupboard. https://www.hy-vee.com/grocery/PD7141033/Hy-Vee-Chicken-Bouillon-Cubes

the one really bad ingredient I noticed right away is the sugar. Do I have to start my 30 days over? Should I throw the rest of the cauliflower rice out!?

• Moderators

Hmm... okay well sugar is not actually the worst thing in this product... it has corn, MSG and worse even is soy... 

I would definitely say don't eat the cauli rice anymore... whether you start over or not is up to you, there's an article in my signature below called 'Do I really have to start over' and we advise to read and let us know what you're going to do.

That said, corn and soy especially are huge gut disruptors so be really honest with yourself about what you're doing this for... would you consider doing a Whole32?

8 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hmm... okay well sugar is not actually the worst thing in this product... it has corn, MSG and worse even is soy... 

I would definitely say don't eat the cauli rice anymore... whether you start over or not is up to you, there's an article in my signature below called 'Do I really have to start over' and we advise to read and let us know what you're going to do.

That said, corn and soy especially are huge gut disruptors so be really honest with yourself about what you're doing this for... would you consider doing a Whole32?

Thank you for your quick response!!!

After I hit submit I realized the corn syrup and soy were red flags as well! Ugh. I already went ahead and threw the cubes away, next goes the cauliflower rice. Naturally, I would make up an excuse and say, "Well I only ate less than a cup of it with dinner." but I promised myself, no cheating, no slipping.

It is only day 2 so it won't hurt me too much to start over. Day 30 is a Tuesday and its no good stopping in the middle of the week. Especially with my meal prepping. 

I just wanted to make absolutely sure it was a dumb error on my part before I made an even bigger dumb error and kept eating it the rest of this week!

Again, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 7:14 PM, AndieK said:

So I'm on day two, and I made Whole30 Cauliflower Rice, well as I was cooking, I didn't realize homemade broth meant the chicken bone broth and I used my chicken bouillon cubes I had in my cupboard. https://www.hy-vee.com/grocery/PD7141033/Hy-Vee-Chicken-Bouillon-Cubes

the one really bad ingredient I noticed right away is the sugar. Do I have to start my 30 days over? Should I throw the rest of the cauliflower rice out!?

Bouillon cubes are pretty bad.  I stopped using them after actually reading the ingredient list, and that was before I ever did Whole30!  In general, it's tough to find store-bought compliant stock or broth (which is why the book has a recipe for them).  So many of them have MSG, soy, or added sugar!  I did find a couple of organic, compliant chicken and veggie stocks/broths, but I have yet to find a compliant beef broth that does not have added sugar/honey.  :angry:  Just remember to READ. EVERY. LABEL.  Literally every one, including spices, nuts, tuna, etc.  You will be shocked to find how much added crap goes into the food we buy every day at the grocery store.  Good for you for committing to a restart!  Good luck!!  :D

8 hours ago, laurelerin22 said:

Bouillon cubes are pretty bad.  I stopped using them after actually reading the ingredient list, and that was before I ever did Whole30!  In general, it's tough to find store-bought compliant stock or broth (which is why the book has a recipe for them).  So many of them have MSG, soy, or added sugar!  I did find a couple of organic, compliant chicken and veggie stocks/broths, but I have yet to find a compliant beef broth that does not have added sugar/honey.  :angry:  Just remember to READ. EVERY. LABEL.  Literally every one, including spices, nuts, tuna, etc.  You will be shocked to find how much added crap goes into the food we buy every day at the grocery store.  Good for you for committing to a restart!  Good luck!!  :D

THANKS!!!! I went ahead and decided that I would rather spend a few extra bucks and time making my own broth, both beef and chicken, then risking buying one from the store. They turned out great so I can't complain...and I love being in the kitchen so I'm winning on all levels..ha. I never thought I would be that person that reads labels, but now I do on EVERYTHING and sometimes it's just out of pure curiosity..especially when it comes to the stuff I know is really bad for a person. I read what's in it, chuckle a little, and put it back on the shelf and walk away proudly. I think its more a strut! Ha. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow glad I read this.  I was going to make my homemade salsa (in prep for our start date 8/23) which for whatever reason calls for chicken bouillon (I have no idea why).  All else in the recipe is ok.

I will just omit that and add in extra cumin :D 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, MrsB05 said:

Wow glad I read this.  I was going to make my homemade salsa (in prep for our start date 8/23) which for whatever reason calls for chicken bouillon (I have no idea why).  All else in the recipe is ok.

You may need extra salt too -- that's definitely something the bouillon would add. Or you could look at some whole30 salsa recipes and see if there's stuff in them that's not in  your recipe that might be good to add.

22 hours ago, MrsB05 said:

I made a really great restaurant style salsa the other day - a few handfuls of cherry tomatoes, 3 tomatillos, a jalapeno (seeds included) a bunch of cilantro, half a white onion, salt and lime juice to taste. No real measurements, you just combine and adjust to your taste. I used the food processor, but a blender would also work!

• 1 year later...

I just came across this company https://lonolife.com/ for compliant bone broth powder!!

Wanted some powder to use in cooking and could not find anything else compatible.  Haven't tried it yet - just ordered last night.  If anyone sees issues with it or has any experience with it, would love to hear.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, rhasting said:

I just came across this company https://lonolife.com/ for compliant bone broth powder!!

Wanted some powder to use in cooking and could not find anything else compatible.  Haven't tried it yet - just ordered last night.  If anyone sees issues with it or has any experience with it, would love to hear.

Just read the ingredients - the mushroom one would not be compliant and there are 'coming soon' ones that ingredients aren't available on but otherwise, these look fine.

Archived