Portobello mushrooms

Xandra

Tell me about portobello mushrooms. I just had some caps, which I sautéed and then filled with cold guacamole (thank you Costco for those handy squeeze packs!). Are portobello mushrooms nutritious or just bulky and flavorful? What is your favorite way to prepare?

I like to scrape out the gills, marinate them in olive oil and herbs and grill. Non whole30 I love to fill with goats cheese. I like to marinate, skewer and grill crimini 'baby bellas' too. They are wonderful with steak and are a good source of Vit. D

As long as you have a large variety of veggies, I don't think you need to really compare which are better than others. They are all good. :) I like them roasted in the oven or cooked on the grill and then two of them become the "bread" for any kind of yummy sandwich filling.

Stuff them.....garlic,onion,spinach,cauliflower,peppers, chopped up and all sautéed in ghee, or coconut oil....mix in a few chopped almonds for texture...stuff and grill or bake

You can make a " sausage type filling as well, with 1/2 chicken/ beef/lamb...and 1/2asst. veg, plus 1 egg and seasoning....rough chop in a food processor...stuff and bake..... Lots of options :)

Wow, Fender, that sounds so good! Definitely trying that.

Susan, mushrooms have not been a big part of my world. I've used them occasionally but never thought of them as a vegetable before. Thanks for the insight!

Xandra..what did you think they were? Fungus so not a veggie?

Well, yes. I treat them like basil or ginger, used for flavor but not for nutrients in the way that veggies are the star players. I'm working on it. :)

Well, yes. I treat them like basil or ginger, used for flavor but not for nutrients in the way that veggies are the star players. I'm working on it. :)

Well, I think you may be sort of right because I don't think they have all the nutrients that others have, but they all fill in certain blanks. :)

Love 'shroomies! lol! I eat them just about every day. One of my favorite meals--can be 1, 2 or 3--is to make original joes--ground beef, mushrooms, spinach and I like to add a little green onion, fried up and mixed with scrambled eggs--love it! I made mushroom soup the other day that was really yummy--I just quartered up a bunch of white and crimini mushrooms, chopped up an onion a few cloves of garlic and sauteed in ghee until soft. Added enough chicken broth to cover, fresh cracked pepper and some thyme and brought it to a boil. Turned down the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes, blitzed it with a hand blender until smooth and added some sea salt. YUMMO!!!! Tasted just like the gravy you make for beef stroganoff. I also love to roast them too. Sooo good! I go thru about 2 pounds or so a week, at least.

Archived