A fresh start on July 31st

rileyspeep

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, pseudoscientist said:

My day 2 went well! Adding a prosciutto wrapped date to my breakfast of hard boiled egg and roasted sweet potatoes helped keep my hunger at bay until lunch time. For lunch I had another rotisserie chicken and butter lettuce salad, this time with Tessamae's Caesar, which I like. I cooked up a batch of nom nom Paleo's Chicken Pho broth after work in the instant pot, and snacked on some jerky while I waited for it to be done. I'll use it and the chicken I used to make it for tomorrow's dinner. Dinner was turkey meatballs and cauliflower rice in a coconut curry broth. It was really spicy and rich, which left me feeling satisfied and not reaching for any TV snacks after dinner ;) I've still been really thirsty, so I'm trying to pace myself with the water intake so as not to upset my electrolyte balance - not sure what's up with that, but could just be the August heat here in Chicago, especially since I walk to and from work. Slept terribly and had stressful dreams, but again - likely due to the heat as I woke up particularly sweaty, haha.

How's everyone else feeling today?

You may want to consider following the template for your breakfast.  One hardboiled egg does not a breakfast make... eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... 3-4 for most people.  You also have no fat and no non starchy veg... You may feel fine now but nutrition is cumulative and if you continue to undereat breakfast, your days are going to start getting really difficult!

Make sure you're salting your food and you shouldn't have a problem with electrolytes... even drinking 1/2oz of water per pound of body weight throughout the day is not going to cause electrolyte imbalance.

@Virgomom Yesterday the temptation to crawl under my desk and take a nap was really strong! haha.  2:30/3pm was always my snacking time at work, I haven't had any snacks in between meals until today when I ate an orange around 3.  I'm sure things will just keep getting better for you in the next few days! You can do it! :D

On 7/28/2017 at 11:50 AM, Ejanecek83 said:

I'm going to make my meal plan tonight, grocery shop tomorrow and meal prep Sunday. What's on everyone's menu?

I am not good at meal prep, but this time of the year is so good for gardening! I made a tasty drink for our company tonight. I blended coconut cream with mint and watermelon. I know the Whole30 program discourages treats. but it was a good compromise for company. 

Day 3 was much better. I was less tired and achy. I still had both symptoms but lessened. 

I woke up and did yoga, which felt amazing. I'm very stiff after three back injuries. I'm trying to get rid of the inflammation with the W30.

Meal 1: baked potato topped with zoodles, meatballs and homemade cream of mushroom (to die for). I posted the link above for the recipe.

meal 2: chicken fried cauliflower rice. 

Meal 3: wonton in a bowl.

i am in love with coconut aminos and sesame seed oil:) 

I hope I don't want to kill all things tomorrow. I will pray for us all. Lol

@ridgemama That drink combination does sound very tasty! I might have to try something similar to that this weekend as a reprieve from all the water I've been drinking haha.  This too is one of my favorite times of the year for all the fresh produce! I have a farm share and I plan to go to farmers market tomorrow morning to buy some more veggies!

Morning everyone - so far so good, I have zero desire to kill ALL things but am headed into a senior staff meeting so perhaps that will change :)

If you have not already tried this incredibly yummy sweet and savory omelet for breakfast it is fantastic.  My only regret is that I halved the recipe thinking 4 eggs was just too many ......sigh.....I could have totally eaten more it was so fantastic - https://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/20/sweet-and-savory-blueberry-omelet/

For dinner last night I made a kick butt sauce with chicken (use a rotisserie to cut down on prep time), tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, lots of garlic and other spices and almond butter.  At it over cauliflower rice and it was delish.  Dessert was a watermelon salad - even the men in my house gobbled up that meal!

Good luck to us all on Day 4!

It sounds like you are all doing pretty well with your meal prep! Congrats! I also very much appreciate  @Ejanecek83 for your enthusiasm with this group! Also thanks to the moderators who have popped in for your sage wisdom! 

Today is day 3 for me - I started 8/1. The first day I was headachy. The second day I was sleepy, but last night I had the best night's sleep since my previous whole 30. So I am happy this morning!

I have been eating pretty compliant foods - no dairy, legumes, grains, added sugar - since June 1, so the major differences for me over the last couple of days are 

1. less "good fat"(I was significantly overdoing it with lots of nuts so now I am at the recommended amount of fat and reducing the nut-intake)
2. no snacking
3. VERY limited RX bars (none so far and I had a 2/day habit!)

I am mindful of keeping up my salt intake. I remember last time that I was tired until Day 23 - when a moderator recommended that I increase my salt. I instantly felt better. :) 

Great to see you all here! Good luck to you all who are Day 4 and those of us on Day 3!

@Mariama that omelette looks fab!  My breakfast is usually a 3 egg omelette of sauteed spinach or kale and black olives.  I may switch it up tomorrow and try that blueberry one.  What did you have for your fat?  

Need a moderator here - would a couple strips of compliant bacon work here?  Or stick with the sweet potatoes with ghee?

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

@Mariama that omelette looks fab!  My breakfast is usually a 3 egg omelette of sauteed spinach or kale and black olives.  I may switch it up tomorrow and try that blueberry one.  What did you have for your fat?  

Need a moderator here - would a couple strips of compliant bacon work here?  Or stick with the sweet potatoes with ghee?

Yes, bacon would work, olives would work, diced avocado would be great too!

@CaseyLee I appreicate your comment on the salt.  I hardly every salt anything, but I'm just finishing up a sliced tomato with my lunch, and this time I added a little salt to it.  Also, I've never tried the Rx bars, but my greatest fear entering this challenge is the nights where I need to stay at work and won't have any food of my own for dinner.  I just saw that you can get their sampler box for a reduced price with free shipping as a first time customer, so I ordered some last night to keep for emergencies.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NerdyGirl said:

@CaseyLee I appreicate your comment on the salt.  I hardly every salt anything, but I'm just finishing up a sliced tomato with my lunch, and this time I added a little salt to it.  Also, I've never tried the Rx bars, but my greatest fear entering this challenge is the nights where I need to stay at work and won't have any food of my own for dinner.  I just saw that you can get their sampler box for a reduced price with free shipping as a first time customer, so I ordered some last night to keep for emergencies.

If you have space at work, you could consider keeping cans of tuna, salmon, or chicken, a bottle of olive oil, olives, packets of salad dressings (Tessemae's sells some that are compliant), packets of nuts or nut butters or coconut oil (Artisana brand has pouches of these, I think). Bars are okay, but generally aren't going to be as filling, and if you've got protein and fat, you can more than likely find someplace nearby where you can get a plain tossed salad with just veggies. Then you'd be prepared for late nights or days where you left you lunch sitting on the counter at home or some rude person stole it out of the community fridge. 

51 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

If you have space at work, you could consider keeping cans of tuna, salmon, or chicken, a bottle of olive oil, olives, packets of salad dressings (Tessemae's sells some that are compliant), packets of nuts or nut butters or coconut oil (Artisana brand has pouches of these, I think). Bars are okay, but generally aren't going to be as filling, and if you've got protein and fat, you can more than likely find someplace nearby where you can get a plain tossed salad with just veggies. Then you'd be prepared for late nights or days where you left you lunch sitting on the counter at home or some rude person stole it out of the community fridge. 

This is great advice!! I used the RX bars waaaay too much and don't recommend them as a planned-meal-substitute. I love the idea, @ShannonM816 , of having the packets of protein, nuts or nut-butters and olives - and then getting a salad. Super ideas! Thanks!

Archived