Do Return Whole30ers experience the same "symptoms" as their first round?

Hi all,

This is my third round of Whole 30 in 18 months. What I have learned after successfully completing two Whole30s and then jumping back on the Sugar Dragon Band Wagon each time: I am not a "Moderator", I need to "abstain" as much as possible in order to make this really work. Well, that and that this is an amazing and supportive community that I'm kinda hooked on. That said...do repeat Whole30ers (those on subsequent rounds of Whole 30; i.e. this ain't your first Whole30 Rodeo) experience much of the same symptoms as their first go around? I have been massively irritable (now ending Day 3) and pointed out the "Kill all the things" stage; but should I really be subject to this again if this is my THIRD round?

Thanks!

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

Hi all,

This is my third round of Whole 30 in 18 months. What I have learned after successfully completing two Whole30s and then jumping back on the Sugar Dragon Band Wagon each time: I am not a "Moderator", I need to "abstain" as much as possible in order to make this really work. Well, that and that this is an amazing and supportive community that I'm kinda hooked on. That said...do repeat Whole30ers (those on subsequent rounds of Whole 30; i.e. this ain't your first Whole30 Rodeo) experience much of the same symptoms as their first go around? I have been massively irritable (now ending Day 3) and pointed out the "Kill all the things" stage; but should I really be subject to this again if this is my THIRD round?

Thanks!

It's entirely dependant on what you did between Whole30's... which as you said was jumping on the Sugar Bandwagon... Sugar behaves the same way in your brain as cocaine... so if you go back to it full force, then yes, you're going to have the same withdrawls which come with the same symptoms... 

5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

It's entirely dependant on what you did between Whole30's... which as you said was jumping on the Sugar Bandwagon... Sugar behaves the same way in your brain as cocaine... so if you go back to it full force, then yes, you're going to have the same withdrawls which come with the same symptoms... 

Thanks, that explains a LOT...and reassures me that my current goal (Reset, Slow-Roll Re-Intro, and "relatively" Abstain) is on point.

7 hours ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

Thanks, that explains a LOT...and reassures me that my current goal (Reset, Slow-Roll Re-Intro, and "relatively" Abstain) is on point.

I've done 6 whole30's over 3.5 years and every single time was completely different even if I was eating the same in between, if that helps at all!

On 7/20/2017 at 0:29 PM, racheleats said:

I've done 6 whole30's over 3.5 years and every single time was completely different even if I was eating the same in between, if that helps at all!

So interesting, @racheleats! I'm on my second round of Whole30 and so far already it's been very different from the first time. What are some of the differences you've noticed? And do you think the reason your body has responded differently is because you are getting healthier overall? Other ideas? I ask because I really love this program and I intend to return to it again whenever I need the reset, most especially to break my sugar addiction when it tries coming back. I'd like to hear more about how it's been for you over time.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, SweetEnough said:

So interesting, @racheleats! I'm on my second round of Whole30 and so far already it's been very different from the first time. What are some of the differences you've noticed? And do you think the reason your body has responded differently is because you are getting healthier overall? Other ideas? I ask because I really love this program and I intend to return to it again whenever I need the reset, most especially to break my sugar addiction when it tries coming back. I'd like to hear more about how it's been for you over time.

I try to stick to mostly whole30 foods in between rounds so the fog in the beginning is definitely different each time. Although, during my 4th, when I was already pretty comfortable in my food freedom plan between, I experienced the worst hangover phase ever!

When I first started, I lost about 10 lbs in each round (30 lbs total, which I have kept off!) and the last round I completed I gained 2 lbs but just looked so much better - like my body composition overall was improved. I get my tiger blood energy a lot sooner too!

Just now, racheleats said:

I try to stick to mostly whole30 foods in between rounds so the fog in the beginning is definitely different each time. Although, during my 4th, when I was already pretty comfortable in my food freedom plan between, I experienced the worst hangover phase ever!

When I first started, I lost about 10 lbs in each round (30 lbs total, which I have kept off!) and the last round I completed I gained 2 lbs but just looked so much better - like my body composition overall was improved. I get my tiger blood energy a lot sooner too!

Thank you! Such good feedback. :)

Archived