Ideas for son with stomach troubles

jennrider

I got called by the school nurse today about my son. This is the 4th time in 2 months that he has been sick (coming out of one end or the other). She recommends a dr. visit as she feels this has become a chronic situation. I had blood work done on him last year because he was having fatigue issues. All came back normal. We have been tracking food for a while to see what has been triggering the upset in his digestion. So far, I am leaning toward dairy. We have been working with him on making better food choices. Some days it works, some days it doesn't. He's 11 and has been eating like crazy. I attributed this to a growth spurt, but now I wonder if he is hungry all the time because everything is running through him. I am going to try him on bone broth for a few meals to see it that helps. He has an appointment with the dr. on Monday, but I need to do something for him until then. I don't want to do a probiotic in dairy form. I gave him some kombucha today. He is a picky eater so I anticipate some resistence. Any ideas on foods to help until we can figure out what is causing this? I'm a little nervous to hear what the dr. recommends. I am planning on telling him that gluten allergies run in my family, but I expect he will want a diet of rice and little protein. My mom and I eat paleo and the kids/hubby eat about 50% paleo. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We eat gluten free in our house. The problem for him is making good choices when he's away from our house. I discoved that I have a dairy problem during my W30. I'm working with him on how he looks at food. It's hard for him because he see what he can't have instead of all the good things he can have. He is interested in cooking and he helps prepare most meals. I'm finding it difficult to keep quick things on hand for him to eat outside of meal time. We feed 7 people in our house and I make jerky, sweet potato 'pancakes', kale chips and other grab and go foods in huge batches, but my kids are bottomless pits. The teenage eating years are hitting and I am having a difficult time with the adjustment. He loves salad, but I think 4 servings in one meal may have triggered some of his problem. I know it will take time, education and patience to get him to understand that pizza and cheeseburgers are not worth three days on the toilet. I gave him a probiotic for kids (dairy/gluten free) two days in a row. I cut him back because he's still going to the bathroom 3-4 time a day. My biggest concern today is making sure I have enough info to talk to the doc about. I have no problem discussing alternative treatments, but I do not like the idea of throwing medication at the problem without first figuring out what the problem is. Moslty, I'm just whining about the added work, but I'm not afraid of work and I will do whatever is necessary to keep my kiddos healthy. Thanks for the replies. It's time for me to buckle down, do some research and get to work.

Archived