30 years of human garbage disposal - starting first Whole30

Ryan Doan

Hello Friends. I started my first Whole30 7 days ago after thirty years of soda binging, fried food gorging, and other horrid eating habits. Like a frenzied shark I would forget how bad I ate, have one or two healthy meals then continue my awful habits. My wife is such an inspiration and she has a much healthier lifestyle. But I was so addicted to bad food that I would actually go eat fast food in a parking lot while she offered to cook me a healthy homemade meal. So here I am now...

I don't know what was the catalyst but I had purchased the Whole30 book 6 months ago always planning a change when feeling good on my sugar high but never implementing it. I am not sure what made me finally commit to starting it. Perhaps it was my dad being diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. Maybe it was seeing the glow on my wife's face and how all of her came into focus with healthy habits. Mostly I think I felt the potential I had if I just wanted to make the sacrifice, put my big boy pants on, and try to change my life (at 40) once and for all. 

So I started 7 days ago. Not one slip up yet. My mood is amazing. My wife is absolutely stunned how I have embraced the kitchen. I have found that eating out on plan is a bit of a challenge so I have been forced to embrace cooking and now am growing a love for it. The only side bad side effect so far is that I have had 4 days now (including last night) of really bad insomnia. My sleeping patterns use to be great but about 3 days in I just couldn't fall asleep at all. The past two nights I only got about 3 hours before my brain would spring to life with waking fever dreams (I laugh as one was a loop of reading labels on some canned goods). I have researched online and think this may do with my body adjusting to the lack of the constant stream of sugar and processed food it was use to. The nights are really rough but waking I start feeling great despite the lack of sleep. I am hoping this passes as I have read it does but am wondering if any of you have experienced similar things, how you may have dealt with it, and how long it lasted. I truly feel there is no going back so I have to make this plan work and find a way to get my sleep. I know this part of my battle and the price to pay for the years of not caring properly for myself. I still think the Whole30 may be the biggest positive move in my life. Time will tell...Thank you in advance for reading this, good luck, and thank you doubly if you have any feedback on the insomnia. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ryan Doan said:

Hello Friends. I started my first Whole30 7 days ago after thirty years of soda binging, fried food gorging, and other horrid eating habits. Like a frenzied shark I would forget how bad I ate, have one or two healthy meals then continue my awful habits. My wife is such an inspiration and she has a much healthier lifestyle. But I was so addicted to bad food that I would actually go eat fast food in a parking lot while she offered to cook me a healthy homemade meal. So here I am now...

I don't know what was the catalyst but I had purchased the Whole30 book 6 months ago always planning a change when feeling good on my sugar high but never implementing it. I am not sure what made me finally commit to starting it. Perhaps it was my dad being diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. Maybe it was seeing the glow on my wife's face and how all of her came into focus with healthy habits. Mostly I think I felt the potential I had if I just wanted to make the sacrifice, put my big boy pants on, and try to change my life (at 40) once and for all. 

So I started 7 days ago. Not one slip up yet. My mood is amazing. My wife is absolutely stunned how I have embraced the kitchen. I have found that eating out on plan is a bit of a challenge so I have been forced to embrace cooking and now am growing a love for it. The only side bad side effect so far is that I have had 4 days now (including last night) of really bad insomnia. My sleeping patterns use to be great but about 3 days in I just couldn't fall asleep at all. The past two nights I only got about 3 hours before my brain would spring to life with waking fever dreams (I laugh as one was a loop of reading labels on some canned goods). I have researched online and think this may do with my body adjusting to the lack of the constant stream of sugar and processed food it was use to. The nights are really rough but waking I start feeling great despite the lack of sleep. I am hoping this passes as I have read it does but am wondering if any of you have experienced similar things, how you may have dealt with it, and how long it lasted. I truly feel there is no going back so I have to make this plan work and find a way to get my sleep. I know this part of my battle and the price to pay for the years of not caring properly for myself. I still think the Whole30 may be the biggest positive move in my life. Time will tell...Thank you in advance for reading this, good luck, and thank you doubly if you have any feedback on the insomnia. 

Congratulations Ryan!  No one can be sure exactly why all of a sudden we can DO it... diet, quitting smoking, stopping drinking... the stars align in our minds and it just clicks!  So glad you got there!

The insomnia should level out, your hormones are probably having a party right not trying to figure out their new balance... you could try a magnesium supplement like natural calm before bed... make sure you're using good sleep hygiene (no electronics at least an hour before bed, don't eat before bed, cool dark room etc... you can google sleep hygiene and get some great articles).

The other thing to consider... are you waking up starving at 3am?  It's possible that you're not able to sleep because your meals are too small... if you want to give an example of a day or so of eating, we can eliminate that as a problem :)

Hello, Ryan!  Congratulation on making such a healthy, life-changing decision and following through.  Sounds like you are on the right track!  My husband and I will be starting our 4th Whole 30 this week.  I also found that I had insomnia during my previous Whole 30's, which I found interesting since I was consuming much less caffeine than I regularly have when not on Whole 30. ( I love my creamy, sugary, non-fairly Coffeemate in my coffee and sweetened tea!) I never did figure out why I had insomnia during the Whole 30.  I hope it passes for you.

Wendy

Hello, Wendy! Thanks so much for the kind reply and for the feedback on your own journey. Congrats to you and your husband for starting your 4th Whole30! I can see why one would. I feel so many positive changes I am a bit in shock. It comforts me to hear others, like yourself, have had the insomnia issue as it makes me feel less alone in this - I am curious if you experience it again during your 4th round (but hope you don't). The good news is last night (after 4 straight nights of almost no sleep) I slept a solid 5 hours and then 2 after waking. I think this is all just a process as our bodies adjust. I am coming from really bad eating habits so it figures my system would suffer more. I think I am adjusting to fats as a fuel source and my blood sugar is all kinds of crazy. But yesterday I made sure to increase my healthy fats, upped my complex carbs, and about an hour before bed had a high protein snack (Epic jerky) and one teaspoon of Magnesium Calm in hot water. It did help that it was a cozy, rainy night. Have a great day and good luck on your 4th!!!

Thank you, Ryan!  Sorry for my typos!  That was supposed to be "non-dairy" Coffeemate!  I think this time I am going to try Melatonin.  (I assume it's allowed, but am going to look it up to be sure.)  I'm glad you got a good night's sleep last night, and hope that is the beginning of a new trend.  I'll let you know how Round 4 goes.  We plan to start on Tuesday, the 25th.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  I've managed to gain back the 16 pounds I lost during my first 3 Whole 30's.  Although I changed my eating habits even while not on Whole 30 (for example, I rarely eat pasta or enriched bread anymore, or rice or beans).  However, I have consumed way too many alcoholic drinks, especially wine. Plus, I've gotten back into old habits such as sweetening my tea and coffee, even though I did fine without it during w30's.  

Wendy 

Archived