Starting July 24!

KtLee

I'm so excited to start my whole 30 journey! I should have done this so long ago but of course I talked myself out of it continually. I'm a nurse working 3-12 hour shifts a week, thankful day shifts. My biggest obstacle will be finding meal 1 and 2 recipes that I can cook or prepare ahead of time and eat at work! Any tips or favorite recipes are greatly appreciated!!!! I'm essentially doing this alone so I am excited to have an online support community. Here's to the next 30 days!! 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi KtLee, 

I'm also beginning on the 24th.:)

I've also been meaning to start for quite some time, but let too many things get in the way. 

I have friends who have done this and loved it. I asked one for her favorite meals and she sent me photos of her favorite recipes on index cards. She also showed me how she would clip her recipe cards for the week, to a clipboard  and keep them handy in the kitchen. I thought that was a brilliant idea and am getting my clipboard ready now, too. Will be so nice not to have to go searching for recipes each day. ;)

Just thought I'd share the tip. I'll share her pics, too, if you'd like them.

Wishing you the best in your journey. 

IMG_3177.JPG

• Moderators
8 hours ago, KtLee said:

I'm so excited to start my whole 30 journey! I should have done this so long ago but of course I talked myself out of it continually. I'm a nurse working 3-12 hour shifts a week, thankful day shifts. My biggest obstacle will be finding meal 1 and 2 recipes that I can cook or prepare ahead of time and eat at work! Any tips or favorite recipes are greatly appreciated!!!! I'm essentially doing this alone so I am excited to have an online support community. Here's to the next 30 days!! 

Google 'whole30 brown bag lunch' or 'whole30 picnic' for things that you can take to work.  Really tho, anything you would eat at home as leftovers you can take to work... if you're in a hospital or other care facility, they usually have a nurse's lounge (I renovate hospitals for a living so I"ve done many lounges) that have a fridge and micro... so you're basically set, you just need to do the ahead of time prep to HAVE the leftovers on your shift days :)

Hi Everyone!

I am starting Monday, July 24 for I know will be a feel good 30 days! I have done the Whole 30 for 4 times now-- I know I can do it and so can all of you! My downfall has been that I am great for 30 days, but then life kicks in like the holiday favorites and vacation favorites and I fall to my bad habits. But I went grocery shopping today and my fridge is filled with good for me food. Checking in each day is definitely the way to go-- so let's help each other out!

Marianna

Hey guys! I'll join your group. I'm starting on Monday, July 24. I work full time and have three school aged children. Thankfully I have a supportive hubby, but he is not doing Whole30 with me. I can't throw out all the snacks my kids eat so I am hoping I won't be too tempted. Ugh.  This is real life, after all!  Thanks for starting a new group.

Oh, and my reason for doing Whole30?  One, to see if I can! Two, to see if I can kick my sugar cravings. Three, to try and get rid of my love handles (caused by sugar cravings).  Going to need your help to make it through!  Good luck to us all!

Hi Larney,

Welcome! I know what you mean with not throwing all pantry items out. I have a 16yr old son who is a very active, bottomless pit. :D

Fortunately, I'm not too tempted by his snacks. However, I'm a sugar fiend. Mostly in the form of baked goods or breads. 

Wishing you a strong start to our first week!! 

I started my Whole30 (round 2) today, and I'm happy to find you guys! My last round was 3 months ago, and that went well. When I finished, I had no sugar cravings and my body felt clean and lighter. I am ready to feel that way again! I'd really like to lose this round, bloated belly of mine too. :)

My biggest challenge is that I'm on a seriously limited grocery budget. I managed to make it work the first time, but it meant not having a lot of choices. I ate whatever was on sale, and really very simple meals with no frills. I will do that again but I'm hoping to try some different things this time and not get bored. 

Nice to meet you all!

13 hours ago, Joslyn said:

However, I'm a sugar fiend. Mostly in the form of baked goods or breads. 

You are definitely in good company! I can do without bread, but I salivate upon sight or mention of sweet baked goods. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SweetEnough said:

I started my Whole30 (round 2) today, and I'm happy to find you guys! My last round was 3 months ago, and that went well. When I finished, I had no sugar cravings and my body felt clean and lighter. I am ready to feel that way again! I'd really like to lose this round, bloated belly of mine too. :)

My biggest challenge is that I'm on a seriously limited grocery budget. I managed to make it work the first time, but it meant not having a lot of choices. I ate whatever was on sale, and really very simple meals with no frills. I will do that again but I'm hoping to try some different things this time and not get bored. 

Nice to meet you all!

If you find a post by @kirkor (now just click on his name) he's got a link to his 'cheapskate whole30' where he did it on a very strict budget.  Maybe it will help give you ideas?

I am starting my 4th Whole 30 with my husband, tomorrow, July 25th, so I plan to join your group.  I felt great after my previous Whole 30's, and changed my eating habits for the better, even when not on a Whole 30.  I rarely eat rice, beans, enriched breads, or pasta anymore, and all those things used to be staples in my diet.  

I am an elementary school teacher, so it's good for me to be getting my diet on the right track again, as school starts soon.  My biggest downfall is sugar (I love my creamy, sweet coffee in the am), and also like to sweeten my hot and iced tea.  I also love popcorn, and salty snacks such as pretzels and chips.  My biggest challenge during the W30 is giving up the sugar and WINE.  I love my nightly glass(es) of wine.  However, I went on two vacations this summer, and just generally overdid it on eating and drinking, so I am actually looking forward to getting back on track.  

I am going to try to be a bit more creative this time around.  Last time we did the Whole 30, I got kind of lazy with cooking, and dinner was often a baked potato with compliant salsa, and a can of green beans.  That got old real quick.  My favorite recipes from the Whole 30 book are the spaghetti squash with meat sauce, chili, and the spinach/egg frittata, all so yummy.  I had never had spaghetti squash before, and it is amazing!  

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's victories and challenges.  Good luck to you all!

Wendy

8 minutes ago, Wendy and Frankie said:

I love my creamy, sweet coffee in the am

Wendy, thanks for sharing this. Good to know that even 3-time veteran Whole30er like yourself loves this as much as I do. How do you handle your coffee preferences during Whole30 rounds? Have you found anything truly satisfying to replace the creamy, sweet coffee you enjoy?

5 minutes ago, Joslyn said:

I found a couple "Whole30" compliant options on Pinterest. I'll attach a link to one of them.

http://pin.it/AoytwGt

@Joslyn, that was my go-to coffee recipe during my first round. It's a winner! I especially liked it iced. :) I made mine without the vanilla beans and then upon reintroduction I added vanilla extract. 

Well... my first day isn't going as planned. I'm compliant, but ran out of time yesterday, to do my meal prep. These suggested meal plans are awesome and I'm looking forward to using them, but it is nice to know that when life happens, we can just improvise with what's available in the kitchen. 

So thankful that I cleaned out the quick-grab junk food and went shopping last night!  It's just a relief to not have a that option. 

My son is gone to camp this week, so it's a great week for my husband and I to start, before implementing new meal structures as a family. 

Im looking forward to learning new recipes that we can all enjoy together. 

1 minute ago, SweetEnough said:

@Joslyn, that was my go-to coffee recipe during my first round. It's a winner! I especially liked it iced. :) I made mine without the vanilla beans and then upon reintroduction I added vanilla extract. 

Oh! I'm glad to know it's a good recipe. I don't have vanilla beans yet, but will look for them soon. Mmmmm iced sounds perfect for these long summer days! 

44 minutes ago, Wendy and Frankie said:

I am an elementary school teacher, so it's good for me to be getting my diet on the right track again, as school starts soon.

I can relate! I'm not a teacher, but a childcare provider. I actually took a month off this summer, to have family time, get caught up on projects and give this Whole30 thing a go. It would be so great to have a good routine in place and feeling strong before getting back to the school/work schedule. :)

On 7/22/2017 at 0:55 PM, KtLee said:

I'm a nurse working 3-12 hour shifts a week, thankful day shifts. My biggest obstacle will be finding meal 1 and 2 recipes that I can cook or prepare ahead of time and eat at work! 

@KtLee, how is your first day going so far? For me what worked best when I did Whole30 in the past was to cook enough extra for dinner that I could utilize leftovers for lunch at work the next day. I also find that salad is easy to throw together and eat at work, just fresh veggies, meat, and a little jar with some oil & vinegar. I keep a fork, knife and spoon in my lunch bag so that when I'm rushing, I can just grab an avocado (or whatever) from home and slice it over my salad fresh. Breakfast food reheats really well so cook it up on your day off and just have those containers ready to go on your work days. :)

Hi all,

I'm starting my round 2 of the Whole30 today as well. I finished my 1st round 2 weeks ago and felt a significant decrease in negative symptoms related to a variety of small health issues I have. I had a feeling though that I should extend to 45 or even 90 days, but I decided to stick to 30 and started to reintroduce foods. Then a bunch of stressful life events occurred and I fell off the wagon pretty hard and didn't reintroduce foods slowly (to put it mildly). My body has quite quickly returned to pain and inflammation from even 2 weeks of poor-ish eating, and so I'm back here to reset and try again.   

The stressful life stuff still remains, and I'm still dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety over it, while working against some high-stakes deadlines (I'm an academic and I have a publication deadline on August 1st). But, instead of the old mindset of "supporting" myself through stress and deadlines with eating sugar, etc., I intend to switch to the mindset of "support" in relation to real, nutritious, sustaining, (compliant) food during this time.

My specific goals for this round is to eat a little less fruit and potatoes, and to use more of the Whole30 recipes (I ate pretty basic, sometimes boring, meals last time). 

Wishing you all the best in this journey and I look forward to touching base with you all here throughout the next 30 days!

2 minutes ago, Heather_r said:

My specific goals for this round is to eat a little less fruit and potatoes, and to use more of the Whole30 recipes (I ate pretty basic, sometimes boring, meals last time). 

I love those goals, @Heather_r. I am right alongside you on the goal of less fruit and potatoes. I am also going to aim for more beef and fish and less chicken and pork. Somehow when I read up for my first round, I missed Melissa's recommendation for the best animal proteins. It's so much to learn!

Hello!

im on the July 24th date also! This will be my second time doing the whole 30.  First time was a game changer.

i have been under a huge amount of stress....sleep is bad, and stress weight gain, right knee is hurting again, cravings and alcohol have creeped back into my life.

i am focused and so happy to bed on the program again....I'm shooting for 60 days....I know I will need to do it twice to move through all my challenges.

Good luck and it's only 4 mondays!! 

14 minutes ago, Mooie said:

I'm shooting for 60 days....I know I will need to do it twice to move through all my challenges.

Hi Mooie!

It's so great to have returning W30ers in this group. This is my 1st round and am looking forward to tips. 

One reason it took me so long to get started was because I didn't just want a short term fix. I'm happy to learn that after the first 30 days, we can lighten up a little and continue the same basic principles for eating. And, if we need the structure again, we can do another 30/60/90... , like you're doing. 

I'm also SO glad this isn't about selling supplements or prepackaged diet foods! Those diets work, but are not the most healthy, and they don't teach you skills that set you up for future success, like W30 does. 

Just so excited and grateful!!

57 minutes ago, Joslyn said:

Hi Mooie!

It's so great to have returning W30ers in this group. This is my 1st round and am looking forward to tips. 

One reason it took me so long to get started was because I didn't just want a short term fix. I'm happy to learn that after the first 30 days, we can lighten up a little and continue the same basic principles for eating. And, if we need the structure again, we can do another 30/60/90... , like you're doing. 

I'm also SO glad this isn't about selling supplements or prepackaged diet foods! Those diets work, but are not the most healthy, and they don't teach you skills that set you up for future success, like W30 does. 

Just so excited and grateful!!

Hi Joslyn!!  I just started a post.....I learned a lot doing the whole 30 and learned even more when I went off....

i originally started because my sister was having liver failure....we researched on how to heal her liver through diet....and Whole 30 was the key....all her liver panels are now in normal range!  So to support her, me and our other sister joined her. The benefits were outstanding!  Real food....I don't mind the "extra" work in prepping...it's easy to me. And keeps me from guessing.

how is your first day going??!!!

Mooie

I, too, started today!  First round for me. And I already have 3 questions:

1). When I made the breakfast and lunch recipes for day one out of the Whole 30 book, it was a lot of food.  Do I have to eat every bite?  Another program I was on about a year ago insisted upon it.

2) If I don't have to eat everything, can I finish it as a snack later if I am hungry?  Or does that violate week one snack rules...?

3) I hate coconut.  What can I substitute to make the egg-free mayo?

Now that my questions are out of the way, I am looking forward to this journey to health.  I am ecstatic that there are quite a few of us starting at the same time.  We'll have venting partners when we get to the "Kill All the Things" days.

Wishing all of us success in the goals we set!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Joslyn said:

I've been sad to give up my coffee creamer, too. I found a couple "Whole30" compliant options on Pinterest. I'll attach a link to one of them. I'm sure there are other variations.  

Anxious to try them and see what others find, too!!

http://pin.it/AoytwGt

Sorry guys, but that type of recipe is not really allowed under the no Sex With Your Pants on rule... using cocoa to recreate a sweet treat is not on... you can use it for chocolate chili or to make a steak rub but not for recreating sweet foods or drinks.

Watch out also for recipes like this one, claiming to be Whole30 that encourage grinding up a date to make creamer etc... 

Coconut milk is actually naturally very sweet so you might consider trying coffee and coconut milk or I"ve heard (but never tried) that nutpods are good.  Stay away from making 'concoctions'... :)

Archived