What if they cook the meat with vegetable oil?

Meagan

Hi,

I am needing to go out to a eat a couple of times in the next week and I feel like it seems impossible to do. I am fine knowing what to choose in terms of protein and salad or steamed veg and to ask for no sauce or dressings. I realised though that most restaurants would cook their meet with some sort of oil on the plate and I assume it would be some sort of vegetable or seed oil. How do you work around this? Do you not worry about it? Do you ask for your meat to be cooked with no oil? Am I worrying too much about something I don't need to worry about?

I feel like all I can order is a salad, no dressing and that feels like a waste of time going out.

I'd love some further information from you experienced folk out there.

Cheers

Meagan

• Moderators

I don't worry about the oil used when I order a steak in a restaurant. When I am traveling, I've learned to look for places where I can order a steak and steamed or grilled broccoli. I figure I am way ahead with my food choice when I place this order even if I would have cooked the food differently in my own kitchen.

I like Tom's answer because I like to not worry too much when I'm trying to enjoy eating out. I will say that having worked in steakhouses I had many guests order their grilled meat without any use of butter or oil - and sometimes no seasoning. This was never a problem to make happen at the restaurants I worked at.

Thank you TOM, that is a big load off my mind. I went to a restaurant last week and ordered the salad with plain steak and oil and vinegar on the side. They brought me canola oil and a really sweet balsamic viniagrette. I asked again for olive oil and regular vinegar - they said they don't have that. Wha? Who doesn't have olive oil and plain vinegar? Restaurants in small Texas towns, that's who. Finally I asked for lemons and got that.

As it turned out, the steak was supposed to be plain, but was marinated in something really sweet, and the salad itself tasted noticably sweet. I looked - the bottom half of the salad was DRESSED with that balsamic viniagrette!!! I guess they put it in, remembered I wanted my salad w dressing on the side, and just took off the top layer of lettuce and put new plain lettuce on top. OMG! By that time everyone else was almost done and it was a birthday dinner and I felt like I had made enough of a fuss, so I just ate what I could and let it go. Luckily I'm in my second of 2 back to back Whole30s, so I'll just add some days to the end and not be too upset, but I'm frustrated that nothing is safe!

Laura

The other day I went out to eat and specifically told the server that I needed to avoid any dairy and she went back into the kitchen and came back and said that there was no butter used to cook the meal I ordered (roasted chicken, potatoes, asparagus). As I was eating the asparagus I thought to myself "man this tastes good" .... and a couple spears later it occured to me why it tasted so good. It was cooked in BUTTER!!! Fortunately I am not in the middle of a Whole30, just doing some controlled reintroduction every few days with W30 days in between, so it wasn't the end of the world.

The point is, that whenever you go to a restaurant, you can never be sure you will get what you ordered or that you will be able to tell something is wrong until after you start eating it! I'm sure the server did her best to accommodate my no-dairy request, but it didn't prevent a miscommunication from happening. The only way to be 100% sure is to eat at home. *sigh*

This thread made me happy, because I don't know what Outback cooks their steak with but I sure do like it...... :P

And eating out doesn't have to be so hard (like counting calories, Weight Watchers points, measuring, weighing, etc)

I love this website. LOL :D

Thanks everyone, that does make it a little easier. I had got myself thinking there was absolutely no way I could go out for dinner because I can not be sure about everything they cook with. So now I will talk to them about what I can't eat and see what they come up with.

Cheers

Meagan

I don't worry about the oil used when I order a steak in a restaurant. When I am traveling, I've learned to look for places where I can order a steak and steamed or grilled broccoli. I figure I am way ahead with my food choice when I place this order even if I would have cooked the food differently in my own kitchen.

Even during a Whole 30? Boy did I restrict myself unnecessarily! :-)

Even during a Whole 30? Boy did I restrict myself unnecessarily! :-)

I think what Tom is saying is that sometimes it's out of your control. When he's traveling, unless he found a restaurant dedicated to Whole 30 lifestyle (hey...now there's a new business idea :) ) a lot of it is out of your control. He lessens the risk by ordering steak (so the most would be something they grilled it with which would be very minimal) and steamed veggies. I do the same. I keep a small spice jar of coconut aminos in my purse to spunk up steamed veggies which I find a bit boring.

Archived