Whole30 London-style

Georgia Buchanan

Hello!

A nutritionist friend of mine at home (I'm an American living in London at the moment) recommended that I try this and I'm currently on Day 4. Feeling really hopeful and excited, but of course at the same time doubting myself and wishing that I had more support overseas.

I've been through every fad diet in the book and weight/food has always been an issue for me. I've been sober for a little over 5 years and sugar has reared its nasty head as a nice replacement to alcohol. Losing my father almost three years ago to cancer and then almost losing my brother last summer in a serious accident has caused me to use food as a source of comfort. When things get hard, ice cream can make it all better.

BUT, I refuse to surrender to a life that isn't joyous! That's what we're here for! Join me on here for what I hope (and can see from reading so many success stories) is a life changing endeavor...

xx

Hey Juzbo!

Awesome...looking forward to hearing how things are going for you. Looks like you are a yoga person as well? That's been one of the few things over the last few years that has kept me sane. I've recently started doing it more for the meditative benefits more than the 'workout' (of course both are amazing).

Happy Day 1!

End of Day 4 is here! The hardest thing for me has been trying not to snack. When I'm feeling stressed, tired, angry, lonely, etc. my instinct is to reach for something to eat. So, I'm finding myself munching on fruits, nuts or veggies throughout the day instead of just at meals. I'm hoping that this will just be the adjustment period and that in a few days I won't want to snack as much?!

Anyone have any advice on this one.....

It takes a little while (sometimes a long while) to break the old habits of grazing. Melissa Hartwig has a great question to ask yourself if you are reaching for a snack. Are you hungry enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli? If so, then eat a proper meal. Protein, veggies and fat. If not, then don't eat and do something else to distract yourself. If you are truly hungry between meals, chances are you aren't eating enough at your meals. The purpose of eating 3 meals a day is to let your hormones reset inbetween. We really aren't meant to be grazers even though that's been hammered into us. :)

The start of Day 6 has been good. I'm overtired, so combatting the sugar cravings with some savory meats and veg. I do feel a lot better today than I did yesterday so far....Day 5 was definitely a "I Hate Everyone and Everything" day. But, this morning I had to go without my usual cup of coffee and felt fine! I'm now feeling a bit tired, but not as bad as usual. I'm heading into a week of really long days, workwise, so going to spend the rest of the weekend preparing good food to arm myself with.

I also keep reading about people doing CrossFit, which I think is popular in the States....there are a few gyms here in London that do it, so I'm thinking about looking into that. Any experience/advice with that would be greatly appreciated!

Wow Georgia, day six already, you are going great. I just read my day 2 email about looking for buddies on the forum and found your thread again! So I will try to touch base regularly.. I hope I have set the follow this topic correctly... Snacking on nuts and fruits and vegetables was my previous downfall. So I am inspired by dervals comments... I like the idea of not snacking giving your hormones the right chance to work properly. Day one I needed a snack/extra meal... Day 2 I sort of had a predinner snack of fruit and veg as I got home late and had to wait for my chicken to bake. Funny though, on day 1 I did the are you hungry enough to eat fish and broccoli test before my snack of blueberries and cashews... And I sooooo was that I ended up deciding to cook fish and broccoli for dinner. LOL.

Today is day 3 for me and I have woken up exhausted... Oh well I will do a piloxing class (it's boxing Pilates style and good fun) and hope I re energize.

I love this avatar. I started yoga in feb this year and have found a class that's really calming, the side benefits of strength and flexibility are a bonus... I love that I can improve every week.. That's why I chose this pic, as inspiration...

I have heard a bit about cross fit, there is some here in Oz but more boot camp style stuff. My gym offers a big variety of classes so I just try to do a bit of everything.. But more natural movement based stuff rather than body pump or old fashioned aerobics.

I am being really cautious with coffee as it feeds my sugar dragon, I also notice I feel a sort of dry hungry feeling about three hours after...

Hope you are still going strong!

Woohoo! End of Day 7 is here.

Today was an extreme "I Hate Everyone" day....and it didn't start that way. There's been a lot of outside stress in my life this week with work stuff, so it would have been a prime comfort food opportunity. I know that feeling was coming from a sense of not being about able to quench my anxiety with food. Instead I had to just get through it! I'm really proud of myself for making food for tomorrow, stocking up on good stuff for the week and getting myself armed!

I've recently started meditating consistently and I have to say that is helping enormously! It's a program called Headspace and I'd really recommend it for anyone who is new to this (me!). It's a very loving and gentle approach to the whole thing. It's really helped me get through 'crazy brain' as I like to call it and the sugar dragon moments.

Off to sleep and ready for a long day 8!

Good action! I am a bit nervous as have run out of made in advance food now and am worried I won't have time to shop/cook tomorrow... But that's tomorrow's problem. I have signed up for a 2 hour yoga session on dec 1st that focuses on back pain, stress and digestion. I just read that it includes a segment on how to meditate!!!

No sugar dragons yet for me, still at the tired stage but a lot less irritable than yesterday at least... Which the kids are happy about I'll bet!

Day 8 is almost over! Today was the first day that I didn't have huge cravings in between meals and I'm doing better with limiting nuts and fruit. I have always been a huge fan of nuts and was excited that they were included on this...but I notice that actual it's the protein and veggies that are keeping me satisfied.

I'm working 12 hour days at the moment, so I'm really noticing the amount of energy that I continually have. Of course a nice cup of tea or coffee mid afternoon is still good. But, I'm finding that I don't really need the caffeine as much to get me through, so that's a huge improvement!

Yoga and meditation are really a life-saver with this! A two hour class sounds wonderful!!! And don't worry about tomorrow, you'll be fine! I'm really trying to 'stay in the day' and not beat myself up if I haven't planned ahead too much.

Thanks Georgia! I have written down some meals I can make fairly easily, just in case. I have a nut snack dragon. I am sneaking a few in as part of Pre or post WO but happy that I am keeping the daily total to a handful for the first time in a month. Today's yoga class was so hard I needed to have a post WO snack... Something I hadn't originally planned.. I mean yoga? Really. But it was a hard class and I still woke up tired again so I listened to my body! I have managed to avoid coffee but have been relying fairly heavily on tea, until today... Sounds like part of the pattern.. Didn't snap at the kids this morning again either.

12 hour days... Tough.... That's great you are managing so well. I need to try to get more than 7 hours sleep... But there is so much to learn I am struggling to find the time...

I know what you mean about sleep! I feel really lucky when I get 8-9, which is actually when I feel the best. Anything less than 8 and I'm sluggish. I've signed up for the Whole30 Daily, which has said that we should sleep as much as we can....so I feel like I'm not indulging when I get 9!

Yoga being hard?! I know! I find that when I haven't done it for more than a week and come back to it, it's like I've never done before in my life! My muscles are sore for a day or two afterwards and it completely wipes me out. It seems so easy, but it's not!

Ready to start Day 10 tomorrow...can't believe that I'm getting into the double digits! And almost a 1/3 of the way there. Crazy. I'm really feeling a difference in my body now...the clothes are starting to fit a little better and I'm feeling'clean' as I've heard so many people talk about....bring it on!

You are doing great! I just got the sleep email so had 8 hours last night and a nap today, ha! Still feel tired though but I am doing a fair amount of exercise and a bit out of my usual routine with hubby away so might just be working new muscles.... Or maybe it's just all the recalibration of hormones and switching to fat burning... That's supposed to kick in from about day 7. I feel like I am eating enough, it's great not worrying about calories and knowing that anything extra you do eat is good for you. I am happy with body changes too so far, feeling a lot less dumpy and bloated. Looking forward to seeing the results of another week. You have got the halfway mark to look forward to next!

Archived