Sleep challenges - Help

John

Hello All

Well, I'm 2 1/2 months out of my whole30 end date and I must say, it went very well.

Followed the plan to the letter and feel I've realized almost all the benefits that were stated (i.e inflamation, weight, energy, athletic performance). It's worked so well and I have had so many inquiries that I had to create a generic email with all the detaills and all the supporting links. I must have shared my story with over 20 individuals, many of whom have completed or are in various stages of the program. I even shared my story at a healthy eating seminar put on at the place I do my high intensity resistance training.

I've liked this plan so much that I have reintroduced very little of my previous diet back into my life; a little red wine and the occasional dessert.

The one problem that has really not come around is sleep. I've never been a great sleeper at the best of times. I was really hoping the plan would change that. :wacko:

At best I'm getting about 5 hours of sleep a night (max), which I know is not enough. I drop off like a baby but then wake up and cannot get back to sleep.

I don't seem to be exceptionally hungry, depressed, overly anxious. I drink about 2 cups of coffee a day and try and have the last one no later than mid-afternoon. My level of exercise, while not an everyday thing (Kids / Work / Life) has not increased or decreased.

While my healthy eating and abundance of energy carries me through the day, I know my body and mind require more sleep than what I'm getting.

Does anybody else have this issue?

Advice? Suggestions? Help?

John

• Moderators

I cut out caffeine entirely in hopes it would improve sleep. No coffee, no green or black teas. It was relatively easy to make herbal teas my hot drink and I think it has contributed to better sleep. I drank a cup of real coffee the other day after lunch and I felt it was still affecting me at 9:30 that night. So, I would recommend you try eliminating caffeine generally.

There is a lot of info about sleep hygiene... The importance of avoiding electronics for an hour before bedtime, sleeping in a completely dark and relatively cool room. Our bodies are photosensitive; light in a room influences are sleep. I've never managed to create a completely blacked out room, but the improvements I've made seem to help.

I wake up 2 or even 3 times per night most nights due to issues with my prostate. In the old days, I had serious trouble falling back to sleep, but now I usually fall back into sleep quickly. Some things I do that may be helping.... I never turn the lights on when I wake. I just go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, and then get back in bed in the dark. I keep myself calm and quiet. I'm not sure I can explain how I do that, but the issue is to avoid letting your motor start running when you wake. The middle of the night is not the time to problem solve or plan. My yoga practice is less than a year old, but I find it teaches me to stay quiet in a way that supports sleep.

Personally, I find that eating some carbs at my last meal helps. Sweet potato or some winter squash. I don't know why, but trial and error suggests that for me carbs help me sleep better. I used to eat a sweet potato as a snack when I woke up at night. Now I eat the sweet potato at supper and find I can stay quiet and get back to sleep more quickly.

I'd say dial back on the coffee or have unleaded (decaf) after noon. I've noticed a rise in sensitivity to caffeine since cutting grains out of my diet. I'm not sure if it's due to the gut permeability healing or what, but it definitely affects me more than it used to!

Minimize light exposure after dark, if you can. It's a real bear this time of year -- our night starts at 4:30 pm!!! If you're on the computer, install F.lux to reduce blue light exposure. Dial down the brightness on the smartphone, and if you read, try to use an amber (sepia) light or background if an e-reader.

One thing that has helped me is white noise. I keep a fan going all year-round. Now it's difficult to sleep without it. I had a white-noise generator (a real one!) but it was almost too loud. I may try reintroducing that this winter again though.

Oh! One last thought... Have you tried a magnesium supplement about an hour before bedtime? You could also take a bath with epsom salt if that's preferable.

Thanks Jennifer,

I will look into the software suggestion right away. I'm am curious about the gut permeability suggestion and the impact coffee is having on me now in comparision to pre-Whole30.

One of the other things I forgot to mention is that post-whole30, I have been having square or two of 90% dark chocolate, often in the late afternoon or early evening... but I find this caffine idea confusing. I would have thought if it was a caffeine thing it would be impeding my ability to fall asleep, but that's not the problem. It's staying asleep after only 4 hours or so.

Thanks for your help

John

I have these curtains in my condo both for thermal use and blackout. They are much nicer than a lot of them and really look pretty. My room is very dark and not only that, but it's also to block out the heat, cold or noise. I love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Grommet-Thermal-Insulated-Blackout-Pair-BEIGE/dp/B0026SA8LK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352486480&sr=8-3&keywords=thermal+curtains

Thanks Jennifer,

I will look into the software suggestion right away. I'm am curious about the gut permeability suggestion and the impact coffee is having on me now in comparision to pre-Whole30.

One of the other things I forgot to mention is that post-whole30, I have been having square or two of 90% dark chocolate, often in the late afternoon or early evening... but I find this caffine idea confusing. I would have thought if it was a caffeine thing it would be impeding my ability to fall asleep, but that's not the problem. It's staying asleep after only 4 hours or so.

Thanks for your help

John

There are a few theories about night waking. I'm a victim of this too. I wake up around 2 am (give or take 1/2 hour-ish) almost every night. I've started trying to train myself to not give in to the urge to get up, and try to roll over and get back to sleep. Anyhow, some theories revolve around blood sugar management, noise disturbances, or just being at a certain point in the sleep cycle where you are more likely to wake. Wish I had an easy answer! :)

I have these curtains in my condo both for thermal use and blackout. They are much nicer than a lot of them and really look pretty. My room is very dark and not only that, but it's also to block out the heat, cold or noise. I love them.

http://www.amazon.co...hermal+curtains

Those are nice! I only need some about 40" long. Why do they assume people have floor to ceiling bedroom windows? LOL

Archived