Whole 30 Melbourne (Down Under) style

melbournegirl

Yay day 20

Pre WO (body combat) handful of nuts brazil and hazelnut

M1 large steak, veggie soup and a few blueberries, coconut milk

M2 chicken pie almond topping plus a salad

M3 mince stuffed pumpkin with ghee, mango and cantaloupe

Gurgling tummy and feeling hungry... Seems typical when I have fruit. Probably should have had more fat but the pumpkin was really filling at the time

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaargh too much fruit and coffee today and/or day 21 has created major cravings....... Really struggling!

M3 rissoles, salad, sweet potato, mango, cashews... More cashews, pumpkin chips, 2 dates and... Couldn't help it coconut flour mixed with hot water to shut my stomach up!! And stop me reaching for the chocolate and dried mango and cocoa... Even thought about wanting some cake that was out and I don't eat cake!

I know this is the brain rebelling stage and very common but... It feels like the hardest day so far and the closest I have come to giving up or failing.

Aaaaarrgh going to bed!

Hmm seem to have lost my day 23 post..... Anyway not a good day! Still got to click the whole30 daily button re eating clean, but not in balance... Hopefully I am just recovering from too much coffee yesterday (won't do that again in a hurry) or the fourth week slump or maybe not enough carbs! Managed a yoga workshop and a 50 minute slow run.

M1 berries, coconut milk, brazil nuts, a hair of the dog coffee

M2 mince, veggies,soup

M3 steak, salad, coconut

M4 steak, carrot, beans, walnuts, orange, a whole sweet potato, coconut milk

Here's hoping a good nights sleep will get me back into the groove.

Day 24

Okay, have to have a good day today so I don't blow the whole30... Started well with 9 hours sleep. Then food shopping and a piloxing class. I know I was supposed to eat first but I really wasn't up to it after yesterday... Headache and irritated stomach! Do I have a coffee, fruit and nut dragon or what! At least I will be able to determine if it really is all three when I do the reintroduction....

So M1 at 11 am was a bowl of tomato zucchini soup and eggs with almond meal and coconut milk.

The 'pancake' was a bit swypo but it's not sweet and I ate it interspersed between mouthfuls of soup, not like a pancake with toppings so I reckon that's okay for me. I did read in the link above that if you have to bend the rules slightly to make the whole30 work for you then that's better than never being able to complete it... So we will see. So much of this is about what fosters your healthy relationship with food and what diminishes it so a little bit of judgement and interpretation is required, that's why I think this program is successful. You can't win just by following blindly, you really have to make changes AND accept and manage your limitations!

M2 in a rush so just had carrot and cucumber sticks and the spare protein pancake at 230pm

M3 at 7pm salad with olives and chicken veggie curry with coconut.

Also cooked up a storm for the coming week, boiled eggs, baked chicken, steak, stuffed mushrooms, sweet potato chips for post WO and of course the chicken curry. That will get the week off to a good start!

Day 25 great sleep, decided to sleep in till 7 rather than get up to exercise... I think more sleep will help with cravings....

M1 steak, boiled egg, veggie soup with ghee, half grapefruit

M2 chicken vege curry with coconut, salad with olives at 12pm

Snack boiled egg at 4pm

Pre WO (30 minute slow run) some carrot and 2 brazil nuts

M3 mince and veggies, stuffed mushrooms with savory yeast, coconut milk, blueberries

Day 26, great sleep, smooth skin, and I keep being surprised by how loose I feel when I move, must have got used to the twinges when bending down etc as I keep thinking after the fact oh that didn't feel sore like it used to...

Late breakfast as I had to have a fasting blood test.

M1 at 830am 3 scrambled eggs with coconut oil, can't remember if I had the tomato juice I planned on, a few slices of sweet potato

Yoga class

M2 a peach, chicken veggie coconut curry, some more sweet potato, a few macadamias, 2 small carrots

Post WO (30 min slow run) a few nuts and some sweet potato

M3 veggie soup, rocket and pear salad with walnuts, celery with nut butter, baked chicken

Day 27

Body combat followed by

M1 steak, veggies and coconut milk

M2 pear and rocket salad, chicken vege coconut curry at 1pm

M3 mince, veggies and ghee, raw carrots, pumpkin soup, coconut

Okay, so today was only the second time I have made a 'failure..' added cocoa to the mince which I have done once before but must have added too much this time, just doesn't taste quite right. The only other failure was a vegie soup that just wasn't right but I ate it anyway.

And... Another failure... Stomach has blown up like a balloon! Within half an hour of dinner! First time other than some mild bloating when I eat avocado or cauliflower...

Deconstructing...The mince contained cocoa which I have largely avoided (I have a cocoa demon!) only using as a spice once and then about one third of this amount.... It also contained a handful of currants, I have only had dried fruit once sort of.. Two fresh dates.. No noticeable issue then... OH, for the first time since day zero I added a stock cube, just one 5g... Into the equivalent of three meals... It contains 0.8g of sugar!, 0.5g canola oil!, and corn maltodextrin! I am in trouble if I reacted to that small amount... Although .... there is a small chance it contains unspecified onion as "vegetables" and onion I do react to in small amounts... Hmm. I used to use these all the time with no issue then noticed a change in packaging and some symptoms appear, and that sometimes the packaging stated onion and sometimes it didnt... Might have to do a reintroduction on this to check for sure... And finally I checked the tomato paste I used and have realized it is not the same brand I had checked previously for compliance, contains 99% tomatoes, citric acid and some stabilizers from barley!

Now I have to decide if I eat the other meals.....

Wow day 28 nearly four weeks and the only known non compliant item part of a stock cube!

Pre WO some nuts (hard but fun boot camp class)

M1 pan fried chicken, half a grapefruit, coconut oil and stir fried veggies including pumpkin that should set me up for the day

M2 mince and veggies, a carrot,msome shredded coconut

M3 chicken and pumpkin soup, savory stuffed mushrooms

Snack (out till ten, came home hungry) nuts and coconut flour mixed with hot water

Day29

Late night last night and starting to feel the effects of yesterday's boot camp, so am tired and achey... Not really interested in food either!

M1 an orange, some macadamia nuts, a small piece of chicken. Think I will go back to bed!

Had a rest then decided to go for a 40 minute run to loosen up

Pre WO 2 scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil

Post WO a carrot, piece of chicken and tomato juice

M2 small salad with the last small piece of chicken and some olives

Hungry 2 hours later, meals are a bit messed up today so had some more nuts, blueberries with coconut milk and some carrot and celery

The shorts I wore last week are nearly too loose to wear today, hooray they can go to the back of the drawer again!

Not sure whether to cook soup for dinner or try a pizza type almond meal base with roast veg on top.....

M3 So I cooked a soup and put some left over mince in it. Also fried some lemon cauliflower rice for tomorrow and baked some vies for when I make the pizza.

Day 30 summary

I used to.......

Be hungry all the time

Think of food all the time

Eat more than six times a day

Exercise to try to lose weight

Have constant skin flare ups

Feel constantly stressed

Have low iron and vitamin D despite eating meat and getting lots of daylight.

I found the whole30 from dr gangemi's site sock-doc.com

During my whole30 experience I found more interesting foods and recipes to try, learnt to live without cocoa every day, proved that life can exist without sugar! Introduced more spices to replace stock cubes, cooked meat on the bone in soups for the first time and surprised myself with how quickly I adjusted to a very different style of breakfast.

The first three days were quite easy, then I hit the "kill all the things" stage for a few days, then I really struggled in my runs (felt like wet concrete dragging me down) but this got better after day 12. Then I had the OMG I have eaten non compliant food oh it was only a dream on and off for a week and the final hiccup around day 22 when my brain kept wanting me to eat junk but I shut it up with (too much but at least compliant) nuts and fruits instead.

Now that I've been whole30 compliant for 30 days, I can eat three filling meals a day and only eat extra when I have been especially active, my skin is so much healthier, I fit into most of my clothes again and I have got my muscle definition back. I excercise alot still but only when I know I will enjoy it not because I ate too much or the wrong foods. I lost about 7 pounds... Another 5 would be nice but I won't need to go hungry or really care whether it does or doesn't happen because I am and will be healthy! My iron has increased to 13.8 (6 months ago I was anaemic 11.4) and my vitamin D to 71 (was 48-50 for the previous two years)

I am continuing for a bit to further improve my skin, focus more on getting 8 hours of sleep and not let a sugar dragon find me during the silly season!

Thank you everyone for your support, advice and friendship!

Day 30

M1 steak, vege soup, coconut

M2 salad, olives, steak, coconut

M3 almond meal pizza with baked veggies, very filling I saved half for tomorrow and had a few spoonfuls of cauliflower rice instead.

Ran 6 parent races at kids athletics this morning (4x 70m and 2x 800m) then did a few upper body weights at the gym to balance up.

So happy I can get through the day not eating all the time!

Day31

M1 left over pizza

Pre WO (boxing class) small piece of chicken and a glass of tomato juice post WO more chicken and some pumpkin pieces

M2 vegie soup, more chicken, blueberries and coconut milk (also went for a 6km run this morning so need some extra carbs)

Snack peach, carrot, a few nuts

M3 tuna, cauliflower almond rice, salad, olives, a passion fruit, some sweet potato

Day 33

M1 Mince, veggies, eggs, coconut flour which I tried to cook into an omelette but ended up as a hash!

6km slow jog before brekkie and yoga class after

Post WO boiled egg and tomato juice

M2 some vegie soup plus leftover hash from breakfast

Snack cantaloupe, nuts, coconut, cucumber

M3 chicken stew

Made some bone broth for the first time... To have tomorrow

Archived