oxalates

• Administrators

Based on a quick google search, the foods highest in oxalates that would be eaten on Whole30 are rhubarb, spinach, beets and nuts/nut products.  By steering clear of these, you would be fine? Or is there something I'm not understanding about how it would be difficult to do a Whole30 while avoiding high oxalate foods?

Thanks ladyshanny, for your comments. I wasn't clear enough in my initial post. I do know which foods to avoid. And I avoid them like the plague because if I eat them, bad things happen like the feeling of daggers in my bladder. I guess I was wondering about substitutions for things like almond flour in the recipes. In the Whole30 book, there is a recipe for salmon cakes that has two things I can't have - almond flour and sweet potatoes. I like salmon cakes as a food item and it would be great to have substitutions. My current recipe has bread crumbs, which are on the no list. Maybe I just have to look for different recipes without the things I can't have. At this point, as much as I'd like to do it, I'm not sure if it will be too restrictive for me to follow Whole30. I want to be successful with it and was thinking I need help with planning. 

• Administrators

You can do the salmon cakes without almond flour. Can you eat pumpkin? Canned pumpkin is a good substitute for the sweet potato in that recipe and I've done that sub more than once. 

I'm not sure how long the list of foods you avoid is.............but you can easily do the Whole30 very simply. Protein, steamed, roasted or raw veggies and fat servings. You don't have to get fancy and most of the seasoned members don't do "recipes" as often as they just make food. :) 

Archived