Acne

jillian

I used to have fairly problem-free skin. About 2 years ago at the age of 29 my face started breaking out all the time -and despite trying many different ways to deal with it, it hasn't gone away. I did my first Whole30 about 6 months ago with the hope that my skin would clear up - since this was the experience of so many who had completed a Whole30. It didn't seem to get much better (if at all). I'm on Day 29 of my 2nd Whole30, and while I've experienced all sorts of great benefits, my skin seems almost a little worse.

I'd like to hear other people's experiences. Perhaps the Whole30 has put my hormones in flux and this will settle down if I keep going? Does it get worse before it gets better? Maybe it's just not diet related. Or maybe others have noticed that certain Whole30 compliant foods seem to aggravate their acne? The acne isn't super terrible - but it definitely is a problem that has gone on for way too long. I don't have any other health issues at the moment (thank goodness!).

My 2 cents worth..... Congratulations on finishing and completing (you're almost there) your second whole 30. Some people take time to adjust - some really take some good time. Everybody is different. I have roseacea - it cleared up by the end of my first whole 30 - however it did get worse, before it got any better. I was also not one who got really restful nights sleep until the very last week.

I have noted (I suspected it before my whole 30) that I had issues with red meat and pork. Everytime I ate too much of it (okay more than twice in a week) I would get monster sized pimples on random parts of my body. So I limited myself to pork or beef to once a week. I was able to handle that. And then ate mostly eggs, chicken or fish. So yes maybe it is something you are eating that is compliant. Everyone is different. Maybe for you it is eggs, or maybe nuts, or coconut. You'll have to experiment a bit with it. Take one item out of your diet for a few days and see how your face reacts. It's worth a shot.

It could be hormones and getting worse before it gets better, but there are some special W30 considerations when acne's a concern. Nuts are a BIG trigger, so if you're overeating those right now, try scaling back. Egg whites may do it as well

Additionally, there are some extra supps you can look at, GLA (gamma linoleic acid), evening primrose oil being the biggies. Dr. Cordain also has an ebook out there called Paleo Diet for Acne, if you wanted to poke around in there. (I haven't read it myself, but i think it rehashes what i said above)

Lastly, skin issues almost always start in the gut. If you've got breakouts, you've probably got something going on in your gut. probiotics, bone broths, all the extra gut healing efforts should sort you out.

If the basic stuff doesn't help, consider consulting with a naturopath about it, and they can probably narrow down your personal stuff better than we can :)

I started developing Rosacea in my mid-30's. You're still young, so that's probably not a concern, but I thought it was acne for the longest time.

I have had good luck with Vitamin C, an 1000 mg supplement daily helped clear my skin. Acne can also be a sign of inflammation, so it makes sense that something compliant might also be a trigger.

Thanks for the replies. I eat nuts and egg whites (along with whole eggs) every day. I hope that's not the problem! I tried to find Dr. Cordain's book, Dietary Cure for Acne, but it has copies on Amazon that are very expensive - and copies listed on Barnes and Noble for $65. I may have to try to find it at a library.

Renee, do you know if that includes coconut oil? or coconut butter?

I ordered some primrose oil. I guess this Whole30 may have to continue for awhile so I can try eliminating some possible triggers and see what happens...

do i know if what includes coconut oil? foods that promote gut health? or something else?

Coconut oil is generally very good for gut health

Also, I thought Cordain's book was an online epamphlet...Lemme do some googling msyelf. sorry about that.

Archived