Bloating

Chik-N-Biscuit

Hello Everyone, 

I am on day 20 of my Whole30 and this is the first significant bloating I have had to deal with since I've started.  Its during my period, but I actually have Mirena (IUD) which was placed about 4 months ago so I know its normal for my periods to be irregular during the first 6 months of Mirena-and this period has actually lasted longer than usual for me, and had some pretty severe cramps at the start last week (one of the worst menstrual cycle cramps ever, thought it could be appendixicitis for a little bit since I don't usually get that bad of cramps, but they went away within an hour).  It appears whole30 can mess with the menstrual cycle, so now that the cramping is passed I'm not concerned about the irregularities, but does anyone have any recommendations for the bloating?  It seems odd to have it at this stage.  I'm trying to figure out what foods could have caused this in addition to my period, but I'm at a loss.  My last 3 days are posted, if you see any trigger foods please educate me!  I do assume this too shall pass, but since I am really enjoying my whole30 journey and would like to continue it somewhat after the 30 days, I feel I could get more out of it if I start taking better notice of foods causing discomfort- I have zero immune issues that would require me to be more mindful, but I would like cognizant of foods affect on me. 

Saturday:  Apple plus Almond butter (lots of almond butter!), tomatoes + avocado + Balsamic vinegar/oil dressing,   Salad: Kale + Chicken + Tomatoes + brussel sprouts (raw) + Avocado + balsamic vinegar/oil dressing ( I went on a 13mile hike on Saturday so I was mostly snacking throughout the day and then had the salad for dinner)

Sunday: Scrambled eggs, Kale + Chicken Caesar salad for lunch, dinner: Turkey Meatballs ( made with Almond meal and an egg) + cocnut milk + lemongrass + shallots (for the sauce) + Roasted Cauliflower, kale, and asparagus

Ate on Monday: hard boiled egg, Lunch Salad: Kale + Chicken + Tomatoes + Ranch + Cabbage, Dinner: Cauliflower + Steak + Fried Egg + Cucumber + Onion (seasoned and sautéed) + Cabbage + Mayo + Hot sauce 

Any recommendations or tips to help quickly get over this uncomfortable bloating and prevent it in the future would be appreciated!

Thank you everyone! 

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Chik-N-Biscuit said:

Saturday:  Apple plus Almond butter (lots of almond butter!), tomatoes + avocado + Balsamic vinegar/oil dressing,   Salad: Kale + Chicken + Tomatoes + brussel sprouts (raw) + Avocado + balsamic vinegar/oil dressing ( I went on a 13mile hike on Saturday so I was mostly snacking throughout the day and then had the salad for dinner)

Sunday: Scrambled eggs, Kale + Chicken Caesar salad for lunch, dinner: Turkey Meatballs ( made with Almond meal and an egg) + coconut milk + lemongrass + shallots (for the sauce) + Roasted Cauliflower, kale, and asparagus

Ate on Monday: hard boiled egg, Lunch Salad: Kale + Chicken + Tomatoes + Ranch + Cabbage, Dinner: Cauliflower + Steak + Fried Egg + Cucumber + Onion (seasoned and sautéed) + Cabbage + Mayo + Hot sauce 

Any recommendations or tips to help quickly get over this uncomfortable bloating and prevent it in the future would be appreciated!

Thank you everyone! 

Okay so I've highlighted all the things that 'may' be causing your bloating... cooked veggies are always easier to digest than raw... I didn't add the salad greens to the highlighted text but salad greens can give some people bloat/gas.  I don't know that there's a 'quick' way to get over bloating aside from removing the potential offenders.

You've got the nuts/nut butters in there that are very gut disruptive for some people, crucifers that can cause bloating (both raw and cooked) and some very high FODMAP foods (almonds, almond meal, onions, cauliflower, asparagus... some of these items fall into a couple of the categories so you'll need to do a bit of experimentation to see what works and what doesn't, but in the meantime to get the bloating down, take a look at a FODMAP list like this one, remove the avoid/reduce items from your diet, ditch the nuts and try eating more cooked than raw veggies. 

19 hours ago, Chik-N-Biscuit said:

Thank you! I think I'll take a break from the salads and focus on cooked vegetables.  Hopefully this will just last a couple days.  This weekend I'll have to be more selective on the vegetables for my food prep for next week.  

Not trying to sell you on anything here I promise, but the DoTerra essential oil DigestZen helps me a lot when I am bloated. It doesn't remove the bloat itself (I still look bloated) but I don't feel nearly as uncomfortable, if that makes any sense.

Apologies to the mods if this isn't an appropriate suggestion!

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Not trying to sell you on anything here I promise, but the DoTerra essential oil DigestZen helps me a lot when I am bloated. It doesn't remove the bloat itself (I still look bloated) but I don't feel nearly as uncomfortable, if that makes any sense.

Apologies to the mods if this isn't an appropriate suggestion!

It's okay... what wouldn't be okay is if you were trying to sell it and self promoting... we love good ideas of things people have tried!

What kind of salad greens are you eating?  As much as I love romaine lettuce, I have found that it causes a huge amount of bloating for me when I eat it and then days of gastrointestinal distress.  So sad but so true.  I haven't tried it grilled though so maybe cooking it will make a difference.

Bloating is no fun, I know! I would suggest eliminating the cabbage-y foods (cabbage, cauliflower, asparagus) and nut butter and see if that helps. Even though these are delicious and satisfying, they can really cause serious bloat. I know they do for me. I hope you feel more normal again soon!

• 2 months later...

This post really helped me.  Thank you everyone for the suggestions!  I’m on day 13 and I’ve had so much gas and bloating the last few days.  I was feeling AWESOME until now.   I realized I am eating a lot of raw veggies, nuts as my go to snack and cooking with a lot of garlic and onions which could be the culprits.  I’ve been eating salad for lunch every day with Romain too.  I’m going to try spinach instead and cook more of my veggies.  I also found some natural enzyme pills that aid in digestion at my health food store which I’m hoping will help reduce the gas and bloating when I eat. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived