JUST STARTED!!

jephrystanley

Hi Whole30ers (what do we call ourselves?!) !!  I started the Whole 30 yesterday with my husband and so far, so good.  We both have little summer colds which is slightly complicating matters but we're determined to press on.  I'm a fairly decent, self-taught cook; I've read Michael Pollan's books, I like good food and I'm a savvy diner but I'm discovering the joys of ghee, coconut milk and cream and almond flour, all products I'd used only sparingly before.  But I have to say, the food so far is SO good!  Yesterday, I made the spinach frittata for breakfast, the butternut squash soup (which I've made by a different recipe for years and always thought was delicious but this, THIS is delicious) and chicken protein salad for lunch and then no-fuss salmon cakes for dinner (little bit of a fuss getting the bones out; next time I think I'll just buy salmon, grill it, and proceed...but still, those little guys were delicious).  Today was leftover frittata for breakfast, shrimp and avocado salad for lunch and then dry rub steak for dinner with roasted veggie and a balsamic glaze and perhaps the best mashed potatoes I've ever made...or eaten!  The food is so delicious, so rich, I'm just blown away.  I did NOT expect that.  I made my own mayo (DELICIOUS and SO easy...I should've done that years ago), my own ranch dressing and almond milk (also WAY easier than I anticipated).  Now, I know I am on day two (and I've been snacking a bit...nuts and fruit only) and I am in a honeymoon period (and I suddenly have an unplanned 4-day work trip to take starting this coming Sunday and I am NERVOUS) but I am now more excited about the program than when I started because I thought I was really going to feel deprived of good food.  I must admit, I do miss a glass of wine but it's worth it to me to give this whole thing a go...I just wanted to share because I'm not usually much of a joiner but I am really liking this and gunning to finish strong.  I am not usually able to pull off commitments like this but with your help, my perseverance and all the wonderful guidelines, and support mechanisms, I believe!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, jephrystanley said:

Thanks, sugarcubeOD!  Not to be dumb, but how do I join a group?  Just reply to one of the comments?  I would really like to have a group to go through this with...

Yep, that's all you do. Go to the link she posted and get involved in the conversation there. :) 

Archived