What is the cause?

AndieK

Alright, I shared my measurements in my Whole30 Journey log last night, so there is no hiding what it is that my body is doing. I woke up to Day 10 this morning hating my insides. I was cursing and looking for every home remedy possible before heading to work and having to suffer. Between starting Whole30 and also having every woman's favorite joy, "the devil's week" and me wanting to curse my baby maker and drop the Whole30 for some dark chocolate, red wine, and soft pretzels, I know my body is going to be off. Don't worry, I am not going to splurge and run and get my devil's week cure! :) But I woke up this morning with severe gas cramps and have been quite flatulent. It probably doesn't help that I sit on an exercise ball in my office.  I'm trying to figure out..what is the cause? Is this common? Last night, I made Whole30 chili and had that for dinner plus an extra serving of vegetables and protein, so I had a hard boiled egg and some cauliflower, carrots, and celery with Whole30 ranch. I found a link that listed foods that can cause gas and green peppers (in the chili), cauliflower, carrots, and celery were all on that list. Shall I be avoiding these too for a week to see if my sensitive stomach is not able to digest them? I munched on vegetables Monday with my dinner as well, and I didn't wake up yesterday feeling like this. Could it have been the chili? 

I have suffered my whole life, never knowing what to eat because I always get bloated, gassy, or nauseous after everything. Even when I was on a 3 month kick of all healthy foods. Fried foods are a definite no no for me. I'm lactose intolerant. I fear I am gluten intolerant as well, which will break my heart. I am not supposed to have anything acidic or carbonated because I have Interstitial Cystitis, for those that don't know what that is, Google is your friend. They always say green tea is good for you and most diets, and believe me, I have tried them all, suggest drinking green tea...that hurts my stomach. I used to have to be on Prerelief and Gas-X daily with every meal to fight any acids I would take and prevent gas but after awhile, I noticed it wasn't working. I drink a cup of black coffee every morning, even though I am not supposed to because of my IC, but some Ibuprofen as soon as I wake up, helps so I can get my daily caffeine. 

I went off on a tangent there, sorry. Back to the reason for this post, I would love to hear some advanced Whole30 groupies ideas as to what they think? Is there anyone out there that shares the sensitive stomach struggle with me? If I am going to do Whole30, I am going to do it right and if the purpose is to get to feel better, I want to start now. 

What stands out to me personally is the raw veggies.  I find that to my displeasure I cannot really eat raw veggies, whereas cooked are perfectly fine.  For me the exception is cabbage slaw (which I find strange).  I really miss salads but my body doesn't.  So cooked vs. raw veggies would at least be my starting place ;-)

22 hours ago, Babsie95 said:

What stands out to me personally is the raw veggies.  I find that to my displeasure I cannot really eat raw veggies, whereas cooked are perfectly fine.  For me the exception is cabbage slaw (which I find strange).  I really miss salads but my body doesn't.  So cooked vs. raw veggies would at least be my starting place ;-)

Thank you! 

Last night, I skipped on the raw veggies, and just had chili, still sitting at work with gas cramps, yet again. But the chili is so good! I'm going to have chicken and cooked vegetables tonight with some Whole30 Tangy BBQ sauce and save the chili for the boyfriend this weekend and see if tomorrow, I notice a difference. If so, then we found the culprit. Sad that it's the chili, but good at the same time. 

14 hours ago, Reddoerr said:

@AndieK I think you just diagnosed me ...thanks. Docs thought I was crazy describing my pelvic pain that comes and goes. Mine must be minor (knock wood).

If you're having almost regular bladder infections or UTI's and you're having pelvic pains, I would suggest an appointment with a urologist. For several years, I was monthly going into the same doctor for a bladder infection and given just sample pills to "band aid" the bladder infection. I'm not lying, I was in there once a month, if not more. It was so painful and uncomfortable. Finally, a family friend had suffered through the same thing and went to a urologist and suggested I do the same. After being put under and having them scope my bladder, they found that I definitely have IC. This was back in 2005ish and back then, some doctors didn't believe in IC so they don't recognize the symptoms to be related to such a thing. That still may be true today, but I'm glad I went to the urologist and found an answer and was able to get treatment for it. 12 years later I rarely have any "outbursts" and I feel much better. Also, start with Prerelief before every meal. It makes a big difference. If Prerelief gets too spendy, simple Tums can work too. Anything to fight the acid in meals. 

7 minutes ago, AndieK said:

After being put under and having them scope my bladder

So I had a bladder cysto ...whatever last year to diagnose some bleeding I was having ...would the IC have been apparent in that test do you think or do they really have to look for it or do some sort of biopsy? The way I've described my pain to my GP, urologist and OB is that it comes and goes, I can't tell if I pulled a muscle in my groin or if I have a bladder infection (they've tested that 3x but negative each time), or sciatica. It's just so weird! In what I read on the Mayo website last night, it can be worse during/after "that time of month," and it's more likely that you'll get it if you are fair skinned (check), red haired (check) and have IBS (check). Triple whammy. I rarely need to take pain meds for mine, it's really just a lurking discomfort. Did yours start minor and get worse?

When they did my scope, they found that my bladder lining was extremely thin and that was the leading cause of the bacteria build up leading to the bladder infections. If your urologist isn't suggesting IC, have you thought about bringing it up to them? Again, some doctors just don't believe in it. So during your cystoscopy, that should have been noticeable then. They did keep the pictures from the cysto? 

It has been awhile since I have dealt with it, but mine was more of a strong discomfort that would keep me up at night and I would have to sit with my legs under me and my body hunched over, laying my head on a few stacked up pillows.  I would just be clenched up the whole time. And I had the urge to urinate, it wasn't a strong urge, but when I would try, nothing would even happen. It was painful. It felt like I was "dried" up and I would stay in the before mentioned position, drink tons of water until I finally was able to "flush" it out of my system. Now that isn't a recommendation because well,  by not going to the doctor when suffering a possible bladder infection can lead to a kidney infection and that is much worse. The pain and discomfort I noticed did happen around that time of the month sometimes. I remember that was one of the questions the doctor I saw regularly would ask. The discomfort could last a week to just a few days. It also occurred a day or two after having intercourse. There was one point where I had an ultrasound done on my kidneys and that showed nothing. It wasn't until I went to the urologist that I finally found a way to feeling better. 

From someone who has gone from doctor to doctor in her time to figure out what the cause for the discomfort was, my only suggestion is to start with the urologist and bring up IC, if you haven't already, if they jump to that isn't it, then, to be honest, I would request a second opinion from a urologist who can look at the cysto pics and who believes in IC. I too am fair skinned, not a complete red head, but auburn, for I do have some Irish in me, but I don't have IBS. What is weird, the family friend who introduced me to IC, she was fair skinned, red head, and also had IBS. It is weird the bladder infections come up negative. 

When you say comes and goes, are you saying it's just one random day and then gone the next? Does it last for a few days?

Archived