Support

Jioia

Hi! I have joined the Whole 30 to improve metabolism and reduce inflammation the best of overall health I believe that this program can bring.  I am a RN and everything in my being shudders when I read "3 Cups of Lard"! I cannot in good conscience use this ingredient and feed it to my husband with a heart condition, though it was genetic without cardiovascular disease, he has had open heart surgery with a biogenic valve replacement in 2016. I will definitely need further information??

As you can imagine, it takes many base ingredients to build a proper Whole 30 kitchen.  As we are city dwellers I have been "hunting and gathering" ingredients for several weeks and we have successfully completed several whole 30 days, though we are really not counting as we aspire to make this a lifestyle.  Neither one of us are super unhealthy but we know that will not last forever.  We have so much more energy and much improved mood.

My son suffered a gunshot wound to the head in January of this year and miraculously he is recovering well.  One of his kind, I am so overjoyed with the progress he has made.  Also, overwhelmed, as my world was shattered, my own health and fitness routine totally went to the wayside.  I have gained 25 pounds and am now at the point where I have hit that bottom of eating for pure pleasure and mental checkout.

So we are now on the road to recovery as a family, it is morphing into our health together, not not my husbands health or my  sons health.  I am beginning to find ways to balance life, work, graduate school, and food.  To feed me, nourish me, not comfort me.  As I am just beginning in this process, and already feel somewhat comforted by the decreased obsession and cravings for addictive sugars and carbs.

Any help, suggestions are welcomed!

1 bunch cilantro
3 cloves garlic
3 small oranges
4 limes
5 pounds pork shoulder, or butt (with or without bone in) 
coarse sea salt
2 bay leaves
3 whole cloves
3 quarts lard
3 avocados

Correction*** 3 quarts of Lard

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Jioia said:

1 bunch cilantro
3 cloves garlic
3 small oranges
4 limes
5 pounds pork shoulder, or butt (with or without bone in) 
coarse sea salt
2 bay leaves
3 whole cloves
3 quarts lard
3 avocados

Correction*** 3 quarts of Lard

Okay so when you make carnitas this way (the traditional way with the 3 quarts of lard), you don't eat the lard, the meat is braised in the lard (and most people who use this method make carnitas constantly so they reuse the lard).  No one says you have to eat this tho... you can do meat, veggies and avocado/olives/coconut instead... 

I've moved your post to a different thread for a better fit as 'forum feedback' is for issues surrounding the functionality of the forum.

Archived