Good whole 30 meal, bad results

Hello! I'm on day 14 and mostly feeling AWESOME and proud of myself.  I made a dinner last night that I thought was safe, despite being vegetarian (lots of CSA veg this week!)  -- a well-cooked veggie stew of onions, peppers, tomatoes, green beens, and eggplant with a side of olives. About 4 hours later I woke up with a stomach ache and felt very gassy this morning. The exact same thing happened to by husband. This is really unusual for us.

Would this indicate a possible issue with nightshades? Is this a typical symptom of that? I didn't notice this in my last Whole30. I know it would have been ideal to have more protein in that meal, but I find it hard to believe that skipping protein would cause that.

• Moderators

Could be nightshades for sure, with the peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant. Skipping protein probably wouldn't have caused that, although if having this resulted in you having a lot more vegetables at one meal than you usually would, I suppose it might just be the extra fiber.

If you want to know for sure, avoid nightshades for a few weeks, and do reintroductions of them the same way you'll do reintroductions of other items after your Whole30. If you need more information on nightshades, this article is a good place to start.

Archived