Cold waxy coconut milk

margaritagirl

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Bobbi Osborn said:

What is the 'waxy' white stuff when refrigerating the coconut milk?  For recipes don't we use the soft white stuff under that hard stuff for curries?  Toss the hard stuff on top? Sorry for all the questions as I'm not familiar with that milk.  Thanks 

It's probably the coconut oil... is it kind like a hard sort of clearish murky color?  To be honest, if I make curries, I throw the whole can in and then just cook it down longer if it's a bit too liquidy... but I"m not much for mucking about in the kitchen so it wuldn't occurr to me to separate the can sections... if you don't want to use it, save it and cook your eggs in it :)

@SugarcubeOD thanks, but it's a white solid. The recipe from the book for 'Grilled Coconut-curry Chicken' calls for coconut cream.  It says, the cream will rise to the top and become solid and the water is at the bottom. But in between is this thick creamy stuff I used the for curry. So, maybe I left the can in the frig too long. Just wanted to know if it was ok to throw out the solid white stuff that was the consistency of wax, at the top of the cream (then the water). 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived