Day 10 and I'm Stressing Out!

Hi,

I'm on Day 10, and feeling so overwhelmed with all the cooking! I had a good first week, but I had three days off to plan and prepare food for the week. I've had the regular two-day weekend with one day spent doing volunteer stuff so the start of this second week is looking dubious. I've got a couple of meals in two crockpots and I'm trying to make sweet potato toasts, but they aren't cooking right. Too soft. Everything I'm trying to make for the week ahead is not working out! I love to cook, but this is so much work! I don't want to keep reverting to the same old thing every day, because I know I'll get bored and just say forget it.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated right about now.

• Moderators

Hang in there. Days 10 and 11 are the days when people are most likely to quit, don't be part of that group.

It's good to try new things and change things up, but sometimes you need some simple recipes to fall back on when you're feeling overwhelmed. Things like tuna or egg or chicken salads, burger patties, grilled chicken, simple roasted or steamed vegetables. If you're worried about getting bored, try one or two new recipes a week, maybe not even for your main course. Different sauces can change up the flavor of a meal with little effort, or try new seasoning blends for your vegetables. Then if there's something more complicated you want to try, make it on a day off when you're relaxed and not already tired from a day of work.

Thanks, Shannon. That's good advice. I like to use the weekends to prep and pre-cook for the coming week so I have everything I need to eat. I have every other Friday off, so I will wait until I have a three-day weekend to try new recipes. On the weekends I only have two days, I'll stick with more familiar recipes and meals. I don't know why I try to take on so much in such a little time.

I do plan on getting past today and tomorrow, because I don't want to start over. This is a change I'm making for health reasons. I can't believe I have gone 10 days with no snacks or sugars! I would have liked a bowl of ice cream yesterday, but it wasn't like I was dying for it. I'm excited to complete my second week on the Whole30.

Thanks for the support!

No worries, @RBCali, the way you're feeling is so normal and it means you're doing it right. Great ideas from Shannon! I have 3 suggestions:

1. I like the KISS concept: "keep it simple, stupid" -- not that you're stupid, no way! But for me, lots of new recipes overcomplicates Whole30. Simple, well prepared whole foods taste just a good as any recipe. A fresh salad with avocado and sliced up seasoned steak, or shish-ke-bob on the grill (make up a bunch and have leftovers), or some fish with potato and veggies. So tasty and satisfying, and you don't need recipes for this stuff and it doesn't take a ton of prep either. 
2. For me, I can live with a little food boredom as long as I'm adding a little something new here an there. For example, this weekend I bought some Strawberry Perrier. Last night I made up a little cocktail of that with some sliced up strawberries in it, and it made dinner fun. Easy and it made me feel so NORMAL. Add a little something like a new fruit to your regular meals and it makes it feel new. 

3. Keep doing exactly what you're already doing, and I promise that in 3 days you won't feel the way you feel right now. You'll feel better. You're doing great!

Well, that was "sweet enough" SweetEnough, ;-)

Thanks for the tips and encouraging words. You are right about keeping it simple. I tend to eat the same thing over and over, but then I get bored and start looking for "outside" food. That has always been my trip up in the past. I am trying to incorporate new recipes so as not to get bored, but, I get in over my head and try to change things up too much. Thank you for the reminder to keep it simple and just add a new touch here and there.

Where did you find strawberry Perrier? That sounds delicious!

7 minutes ago, RBCali said:

I found it at our local grocery store. I'd never heard of it before! Last week I picked up a bottle of L'Orange Perrier at Walgreens, and that was also very good. Funny, the 'old me' wouldn't have liked them, not sweet enough for her, but our palate changes with Whole30 for the absolute better. :)

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, RBCali said:

Well, that was "sweet enough" SweetEnough, ;-)

Thanks for the tips and encouraging words. You are right about keeping it simple. I tend to eat the same thing over and over, but then I get bored and start looking for "outside" food. That has always been my trip up in the past. I am trying to incorporate new recipes so as not to get bored, but, I get in over my head and try to change things up too much. Thank you for the reminder to keep it simple and just add a new touch here and there.

One good way to add a touch here and there is sauces... Sunshine Sauce (www.meljoulwan.com), different flavored mayo, home made pesto, even a scoop of sundried tomatoes as a condiment on your plate can make things more interesting.... 

On 7/30/2017 at 8:34 PM, RBCali said:

I'm on Day 10, and feeling so overwhelmed with all the cooking!

@RBCali, how you doin? I am on day 10 right now, so I thought of you and just curious how things are going with you. Day 10, I feel like I'm all in, but yeah the food prep felt pretty cumbersome at 11:30 last night. There's no way around it. 

**SweetEnough, I thought I sent this last Tuesday. Guess the dizziness was still affecting me. I hope you are doing good on your Day 13. I'm now on Day 16 and still having an issue with eating "all" the food. However, I do find if I don't eat a whole meal, I begin to get hungry between meals. I tend to drink water with my meals, so I'm going to stop that because that is probably filling me up and making me want to eat less.

I've been able to stay compliant though, so I'm happy about that. It's the weekend, and that means food prep for the coming week. Just finished making Scotch Eggs for breakfast. Interesting entree. I'd rather have runny middles though. I'll have to work on that. 

Have a great weekend and enjoy these last days of summer!

Funny you should be messaging me. I am on day 13 and am experiencing a little bit of overload on eating. I've been trying to keep my meals simple and having some pre-fixed chili to go has helped alot.

Monday was weird, which was my day 11. I was dizzy and lightheaded and nauseated, which lasted all day. I went to the doctor to have my blood pressure checked since I take meds for that. My pressure was lower, but not low enough to be the cause of my malaise. I felt better yesterday, but felt like I was getting over a slight hangover. Today, day 13, is much, much better. Slept well and woke up at a decent time. However, I'm sitting here trying to get down my breakfast. I'm just not that hungry and trying to eat what's on my plate is a little hard. I feel pressured to eat a good meal since I'll be out and about all day and not near any compliant food. 

I know I'll be at Subway for lunch with my nephew (ha, his choice) so will probably have a vegie salad. I'll bring my own dressing and a can of tuna.

What have you done when you feel you can't take one more bite?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the cooking is overwhelming, but I love the end result...good food. The problem is it takes me like 1 1/2 hours to prep and cook. I know...prep ahead but even thoughI have a weekly menu I change which meal I want to eat at the last minute! I guess I have to get used to cooking again. I get the cramping in my feet too...I started taking potassium pills which helped but it has stopped since I started whole30...I'm finishing up day 19. Tonite I made two of the recipes from the whole30 book...porkchop with applesauce and mashed cauliflower. I decided the cauliflower (not my favorite veggie) had the consistency of grits so I'm gonna have it tomorrow for breakfast with a couple of fried eggs on top.  I hope you get this because I'm not really sure how this blogging or "foruming" works. Last week I filled out an online application for a volunteer job and it ended up in Middlesex, England and I live in Kansas City! 

On 8/5/2017 at 11:09 AM, RBCali said:

**SweetEnough, I thought I sent this last Tuesday. Guess the dizziness was still affecting me. I hope you are doing good on your Day 13. I'm now on Day 16 and still having an issue with eating "all" the food. However, I do find if I don't eat a whole meal, I begin to get hungry between meals. I tend to drink water with my meals, so I'm going to stop that because that is probably filling me up and making me want to eat less.

I've been able to stay compliant though, so I'm happy about that. It's the weekend, and that means food prep for the coming week. Just finished making Scotch Eggs for breakfast. Interesting entree. I'd rather have runny middles though. I'll have to work on that. 

Have a great weekend and enjoy these last days of summer!

Funny you should be messaging me. I am on day 13 and am experiencing a little bit of overload on eating. I've been trying to keep my meals simple and having some pre-fixed chili to go has helped alot.

Monday was weird, which was my day 11. I was dizzy and lightheaded and nauseated, which lasted all day. I went to the doctor to have my blood pressure checked since I take meds for that. My pressure was lower, but not low enough to be the cause of my malaise. I felt better yesterday, but felt like I was getting over a slight hangover. Today, day 13, is much, much better. Slept well and woke up at a decent time. However, I'm sitting here trying to get down my breakfast. I'm just not that hungry and trying to eat what's on my plate is a little hard. I feel pressured to eat a good meal since I'll be out and about all day and not near any compliant food. 

I know I'll be at Subway for lunch with my nephew (ha, his choice) so will probably have a vegie salad. I'll bring my own dressing and a can of tuna.

What have you done when you feel you can't take one more bite?

RBCali - I'm so glad I searched "malaise" and came across this thread!  I am on Day 8 and am feeling exactly like you were on your Day 11.  I woke up with a bit of a headache (took Excedrin and still have some nagging), I've felt nauseas, foggy, and even lightlighted.  I wouldn't compare it to a traditional hangover, but I guess it could be equated to the W30 hangover.  I certainly did not expect this at Day 8......... 

17 hours ago, Rottiegirl2017 said:

RBCali - I'm so glad I searched "malaise" and came across this thread!  I am on Day 8 and am feeling exactly like you were on your Day 11.  I woke up with a bit of a headache (took Excedrin and still have some nagging), I've felt nauseas, foggy, and even lightlighted.  I wouldn't compare it to a traditional hangover, but I guess it could be equated to the W30 hangover.  I certainly did not expect this at Day 8......... 

Hi Rottiegirl2017,

I hope today finds you feeling better. My symptoms lasted about a day and a half. Happy to say that I'm day 35(!) and I'm feeling great.And, no other episodes similar to what I experienced on day 11.  I am extending my Whole30 until I see my doctor, plus, I'm on a roll with eating the Whole30 way and I'm still trying out new recipes  so I don't really want to start adding the "old" foods back in just yet. I have a lot of digestive issues so I want to be sure I don't have any symptoms of a leaky gut before I start throwing in whole grains and legumes or dairy,

Have a fabulous day!

Great job RBCali!  I actually ended up getting my monthly "blessing" yesterday afternoon, then I felt GREAT.  So, I'm guessing that had something to do with it.  When I was a kid, I would get so nauseas I would pretty much end up fasting for 3 days.  Good thing is - I had NO cramps or backache - which normally taunt me for a week before I start.

Archived