I'm on day 21 of the Whole 30 and I'm itching all over. I've been trying to take out foods I thought suspect like cashews and new supplements but

nothing has worked so far. Going to take out coconut next...

No red rash or hives. Just feel like my whole body is one big itchy thing.  It makes it hard to sleep! Help.

Just itching in my head, arms, legs, back, stomach, and privates. Basically every where. Antihistamines don't help much.

Heard there was such a thing as a KETO rash.  When you don't eat enough carbs. There are carbs on the Whole 30. I eat cherries, blueberries and sweet potatoes.

I know vegetables are low and meat has none. Most of my meals are lots of cooked veggies with meat and a little fruit for dessert.

I have pre-diabetes so I try and keep my fruit and sweet potatoe content low.  Not sure how high I need to keep my carb content to feel my best yet and not affect my blood sugars.

Could it be a mild form of that? or a yeast or hormones? I am in Menopause.

I eat apples, bananas, cherries, blueberries, butternut squash, lots of different nuts and seeds, cacao and take alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), tumeric, and fish oil. 

I also eat brussel sprouts, cauliflower, lettuce, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, onions, red peppers, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, pineapple, green onions, sweet onions, green beans, artichokes, salmon,  shrimp, chicken, steak, scallops, eggs, and almond butter

On an up note my back is feeling better. Less pain and I don't crave sugar at all!

I'm also coughing and more congested than before. Sinus drainage is annoying. Not sure if it is all related or separte.

I thought I would be feeling much better on this diet by now. 

I was hoping for no more sinus issues. They have gotten worse. I have allergies but to dust only as far as I know. Not sure if they can change as you get older.

I know sensitivites can cause problems if you eat a food to often. Going to try and switch it up a bit.

Anyone have itching and/or worsening sinus problems?

• Administrators

Before Whole30, did you do any pre-cooking of food and then eating leftovers? Are you doing that now? Could be a histamine reaction. Histamine increases in leftover foods. Might be worth looking into.

Edit: link to a decent article...........but looks like less than 1% of the population would experience an actual histamine intolerance so the chances are good that this is not what the problem is. https://paleoleap.com/histamines/

I'm on day ten myself, and I feel like my scalp is itchier and drier than ever. And I use Head and Shoulders dry scalp shampoo/conditioner. I even got these small, itchy bumps on the back of my right hand (I'm suspecting vesicles). I'm not sure what caused this stuff, or why... Never had these bumps before. I'm not sure if it's the weather maybe? Drier heat in the summer? 

I wish I could be of more help. I'm not professional here at all. But maybe after showers use a good, non greasy moisturizer, or aloe? I've used lotus gel after my skin feels chapped and it helps after showers to bring moisture/suppleness back. After washing my hands, applying lotion to the bumps seemed to calm them down for me. 

EDIT: The only other thing I could guess is if you're eating something new/different, then maybe that's it? But you seem to be attempting to eliminate those things. 

I'm noticing some bumps on my face now, not red or itchy, just bumps. So I did some poking around in old forum archives and I found this, which I thought was pretty relevant to both of us:

Forum link: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/25131-id-rather-be-fatunhealthy-than-walk-around-with-this-rash-on-my-face/#comment-264686

User I'm quoting: beachchica

Date: 3/4/15 at 2:08 PM

I feel your pain (literally!) Day 4 of my 3rd Whole30, and for the first time my entire body is covered in what I researched to be a detox rash. No way to prove that this is what's happening, but it is thought that when you drastically eliminate sugar (grains, sugars, etc) you starve and kill the harmful bacteria (Candida) in your gut. As they die, they release their endotoxins, and your body can only eliminate so much endotoxin at once. So it creates an inflammatory response, which can result in a rash. It can take a few days, weeks or months to subside. I know this sounds horrible, but imagine what all the crap was doing on the inside of your body! The rash is a visual representation of what's getting eliminated from your system. Even though my rash is so uncomfortable, particularly in my hands, and it makes taking care of my baby and toddler very difficult, there is NO WAY I would stop the Whole30 because of it. If anything, it has strengthened my resolve to stick with it and never re-introduce that junk masquerading as food into my day-to-day diet. I really hope your rash subsides soon and that you can stick with this program. It's a life-changer!

And as for why this time and not other times? (I've been asking myself this a lot!) You probably had some detox symptom before (headache, gas, bloating, fatigue) and this is just another one of those symptoms. Not fun, but again it's evidence that our bodies are responding to this new lifestyle. I hope this gives you some comfort!

Wow, Ariel523 thank you! I took out nuts, coconuts, almond and eggs too. It is better today. I didn't notice a difference taking out eggs, avocado or coconut but 

have kept them out. But taking  out all nuts the last two day seems to be working? Or my body is just getting all the toxins out? I guess I'll know once I reintroduce the nuts. I'm going to do it one type of nuts and seeds at a time just like how we introduce other foods and wait two day to see if there are any symptoms.

Thank you for the encouragement! I was so going to give up and eat anything to get rid of the itching. I went to the doctor and they prescibed me hydroxyzine because benedryl was not doing anything. It seemed to help a little. That could mean that it is the toxins coming out and not an allergy or intolerance.(?)  My cold symptoms seem to be better today as well.(?)  At least they are all more tolerable than before. Still some itching and cold stuff but better :) Don't know why things are better but thankful!

Day 24...getting close to the 30 days! So excited this is my first Whole30 :)

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better! And almost done, congratulations! Two more daaays for you!

I keep hearing that nuts and seeds cause problems for people on the Whole30. I'm starting to not trust them so much anymore. Maybe I'll occasionally have one walnut or almond, or some pistachios, but not much... Almond butter, I think, is Ok on my system. 

I hope you feel loads better when this is all said and done!

Archived