Gum"replacement"?

Bgcmic

I have generalized and servere social anxiety; I can't be on medications due to being overly sensitive to them & having endless side effects. The ONLY thing that has helped calm my nerves is mint gum. I get nauseous from my anxiety and the mint helps calm my stomach and the chewing distracts my brain (more so I play with it in my mouth rather than chew). Does anyone have suggestions on what to use in place of gum while on Whole30? Without gum I've been biting & peeling at my nails when anxious and they're taking a major beating. 

Side note: The gum does NOT do anything for me in terms of food. I usually never chew it while hungry, and can easily go without it when not in a stressful situation. I go camping several times a year for ~1 week each time, which is a major thing that helps relieve my anxiety, and I never chew a single piece of gum while camping or hiking. I also never have any when at home. Typically the only time I chew it is at work (which is often VERY anxiety-inducing in my line of work as a vet tech!).

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Bgcmic said:

I have generalized and servere social anxiety; I can't be on medications due to being overly sensitive to them & having endless side effects. The ONLY thing that has helped calm my nerves is mint gum. I get nauseous from my anxiety and the mint helps calm my stomach and the chewing distracts my brain (more so I play with it in my mouth rather than chew). Does anyone have suggestions on what to use in place of gum while on Whole30? Without gum I've been biting & peeling at my nails when anxious and they're taking a major beating. 

Side note: The gum does NOT do anything for me in terms of food. I usually never chew it while hungry, and can easily go without it when not in a stressful situation. I go camping several times a year for ~1 week each time, which is a major thing that helps relieve my anxiety, and I never chew a single piece of gum while camping or hiking. I also never have any when at home. Typically the only time I chew it is at work (which is often VERY anxiety-inducing in my line of work as a vet tech!).

How about a fennel seed?  Mint leaves? Eat a cherry and keep the pit? If it's not chewing, it's moving it around in your mouth, that might work... (please don't choke on it)

Archived