Suggestion...

JennWolfenbarger

I would love to see a whole forum section devoted entirely to the new W30 follower. A place where people can post their most basic questions without feeling out of place, where they can search for the most basic information discussed, and where everyone can share their suggestions for pantry items, recipes, meal preps, spices, compliant bacon....all the topics that are constantly being discussed repeatedly on FB can maybe be discussed in a forum group...

• Administrators

Hi @JennWolfenbarger - basically the whole forum is devoted to the new W30 follower. :) For the super basic questions, we encourage people to google (Whole30 + question) as it's the best way to start. Also, research tells us that going to some trouble to seek information out for oneself is more effective for learning than just posing a flat question and waiting for someone to hand you an answer. ;)

The documentation that comes for free on the Whole30 site also has the most basic information covered, we encourage folks to read everything available. When you add that to Googling, it means the basics don't need to be "constantly discussed repeatedly" like they are on Facebook. It's also worth remembering that all the moderators are volunteers that take time out of (usually) their own work day, to answer questions so it means a lot to us when people at least try to find the information themselves first. That frees us up to help with troubleshooting or the more complex questions. 

Honestly, the info is all there............we encourage people to look for it. It's not hard to find. :) On that note, was there something you were looking for that neither the Whole30 website nor google was able to tell you that you think might have been overlooked as something a new person would need?

Hello @ladyshanny,

I suppose I may have not been clear in my suggestion. I apologize. I am completely aware of the many, many resources that are available to the Whole30 follower. And I agree that research teaches a great deal. I spent approximately six months in my research phase and learned a ton! 

While I can see that the forum may be geared to the new W30 follower, it can be a bit overwhelming in the wide array of information - and appears to be just separated into two categories: During a Round and Reintroduction. There are many, many (as I'm sure you know!) who have done numerous rounds and are, by no means, not new followers. What I was picturing in my head when I had first began my research was a section of basics from the perspective of other followers. For example: I realize there are many resources on the W30 site and in the W30 book. However, I don't necessarily feel I need to have 100% Cocoa in my pantry. What was really helpful was to hear from others what they used most often and felt was essential to have stocked. When I had gone shopping I couldn't afford to purchase avocado oil, coconut oil, light olive oil, ghee, coconut butter, clarified butter and EVOO. However, it isn't listed in a priority list on the resources or in the book (for completely understandable reasons!). So I asked others which fats they felt they couldn't do without. The same with flours (almost all said they never used them ;)). 

What I was referring to when I said that things were "constantly discussed repeatedly" was that I feel there are some topics that could be handled as a whole. Like could you just put a big banner up on the top of the FB pages listing all the different compliant bacon options??? (That was a joke :rolleyes:).

Sorry for bothering you! Thanks for listening!

Many moons ago there were numerous moderators. We're basically down to three of them.   Most days, we're down to one moderator at a time as they work in shifts.

There are pinned items for almost everything you need to do. There you will find all of the basics. I've read through almost all of the old threads and every pertinent question has been answered at least 1 - 122 times.

Facebook is loaded to the gills with subset personal preferences but as many can confirm, it only serves to muddy the waters. Newbies leading newbies adds to the confusion.  

I recommend reading ISWF and FFF.  Repetition begets expertise.  When you have to find your own way and search everything out, it will definitely stick with you.  

Many from facebook come here seeking clarification from all of the added confusion out there.  When you don't know the rules and recommendations, personal biases become the norm.  The further you are away from the well the greater the distortion of truth.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JennWolfenbarger said:

Hello @ladyshanny,

I suppose I may have not been clear in my suggestion. I apologize. I am completely aware of the many, many resources that are available to the Whole30 follower. And I agree that research teaches a great deal. I spent approximately six months in my research phase and learned a ton! 

While I can see that the forum may be geared to the new W30 follower, it can be a bit overwhelming in the wide array of information - and appears to be just separated into two categories: During a Round and Reintroduction. There are many, many (as I'm sure you know!) who have done numerous rounds and are, by no means, not new followers. What I was picturing in my head when I had first began my research was a section of basics from the perspective of other followers. For example: I realize there are many resources on the W30 site and in the W30 book. However, I don't necessarily feel I need to have 100% Cocoa in my pantry. What was really helpful was to hear from others what they used most often and felt was essential to have stocked. When I had gone shopping I couldn't afford to purchase avocado oil, coconut oil, light olive oil, ghee, coconut butter, clarified butter and EVOO. However, it isn't listed in a priority list on the resources or in the book (for completely understandable reasons!). So I asked others which fats they felt they couldn't do without. The same with flours (almost all said they never used them ;)). 

What I was referring to when I said that things were "constantly discussed repeatedly" was that I feel there are some topics that could be handled as a whole. Like could you just put a big banner up on the top of the FB pages listing all the different compliant bacon options??? (That was a joke :rolleyes:).

Sorry for bothering you! Thanks for listening!

I totally get what you're saying - that already exists... there are threads on here for 'what do you buy from Trader Joes' and 'what is your favorite cooking fat' and 'what do you buy for compiant bacon' As far as I know (not having facebook), there are no volunteer mods over there... facebook is a beast and it is impossible to manage all the groups but allllll the information is here on the forum.  It started out I"m sure as a place for newbies to find and populate this informaiton and has grown to a deep and well rounded resource of anything you could ever want to know about Whole30... when you have a question, go to google, type Whole30 + question and you'll get answers... often dozens of threads (like in the case of mayo... the most talked about thing on the forum).  It sounds like you've already done great research and know that the forum exists so for those that are also reading this and new, I highly suggest that Facebook is not your primary source for information... I'm not sure how W30 moderates their specific page, but I know that we read every. single. post. on the forum, which means that there is very little confusing or inaccurate information (right down to when people list out their food on the group threads, we often give input if things aren't looking quite right).

• 4 weeks later...

I actually get what Jenn is saying - and let me start with (and I don't care if this is sucking up :) ) - I think the moderators here do a FANTASTIC job.  It boggles my mind how many answers just one of them posts in a day - and then the (occasional) ingratitude they have to put up with.  Most people, of course, are cool.

The challenge (and I don't have an idea to improve it, but will ponder it), is that there is actually TOO much information here.  And the sheer magnitude of the number of threads makes it hard to navigate.  That said, of course the best option is the google+whole 30+detailed question, but maybe there's a way to clean up the forum headings?  Honestly, I'll think about if I have any suggestions and will post if I have any constructive ideas...

The spam problem is the biggest issue cluttering up the forum.  It's increased over the last few months. There's got to be a way to filter it out like a personal virus protection program does.

I actually see the volume of threads problem being fixed, too.  It's too labor intensive to go back to the beginning and combine everything. Nooo, I see something different and brand new.  Just a feeling I have.  Ayup.

With the new Coaching Program, everything may change. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 7:10 AM, Jim4884 said:

I actually get what Jenn is saying - and let me start with (and I don't care if this is sucking up :) ) - I think the moderators here do a FANTASTIC job.  It boggles my mind how many answers just one of them posts in a day - and then the (occasional) ingratitude they have to put up with.  Most people, of course, are cool.

The challenge (and I don't have an idea to improve it, but will ponder it), is that there is actually TOO much information here.  And the sheer magnitude of the number of threads makes it hard to navigate.  That said, of course the best option is the google+whole 30+detailed question, but maybe there's a way to clean up the forum headings?  Honestly, I'll think about if I have any suggestions and will post if I have any constructive ideas...

Alright, I actually came up with one idea/suggestion.  I think the overall thread/topic/heading list would be navigated a bit easier by lumping all of the "specialty" topics - whole 30 for athletes, pregnant women, children, vegetarians, etc under one larger heading of "Specialized Whole 30's" or some name like that.  I have no idea how hard that would be, and I won't be offended if it doesn't happen, but I've always believed in not criticizing without having constructive feedback.   Remember what you paid for it :D 

"What good is a man who won't make a stand;  What good is a cynic, with no better plan? .....I believe in a better way"  - Ben Harper

Archived