Starting today!

Lunarose

Hi everyone- I'm late to join.  Day 12!  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  We threw a birthday party today for our 3 year old- and there was so much deliciousness I had to pass up.  Aside from getting through my wine craving the first few days I've been ok. I even made 48 cupcakes today without licking the bowl!

Until I was slicing the cheese for the cheese platter.  I so wanted to stuff my face with the yummy cheese and amazing crackers.  But I resisted.  And had a la croix and some veggies to snack on instead. 

@Alisha Alexander I physically got rid of my scale about 6 months ago and it has been very freeing.  I am still about 10ish lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight (yeah...my "baby" is 3....) but found the numbers on the scale were just causing me more stress.  I now gauge my weight by how my clothes fit and how I feel.  It is so much better : )

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Alisha Alexander @SarahSun woohoo, we did it!!! So happy for both of you. At end of day 12 I feel like I'm still recovering from the nightmarish day 11 but took it easy today.  I think tomorrow I will feel much more back to normal. Now that it is getting to the halfway point, I am starting to think about incorporating more exercise. How about you guys?

@imaginepilates congrats on day 1! You've got this!!! 

@Lunarose I've been running and doing weights this last week, and while I do feel a little tired during and immediately after, later in the day I feel great. I also notice I sleep great the nights I've exercised. I'm just easing into getting back into the gym, so my workouts aren't crazy intense or anything. But I think it's definitely safe to do more exercise now and see how your body feels!

Hello everyone! Today is my first day! I am mainly doing this because I want to have more energy and figure out if I'm gluten sensitive. I want to live a healthier life style as well. I just had my second baby 6 months ago and I feel like this will also help me get my horomones balanced. 

Hi, I started yesterday and my hubby is doing his "own version" of Whole30 while I follow it to the letter. I'm about 50lbs overweight and have been having a lot of gastritis for the past several months. Started working out 4 months ago but there was no change in weight or size, but I felt stronger and my muscles were more defined. Along with the gastric pain, I realized I needed to do something drastic. So here I am! 

Challenges I'm experiencing are hunger and the gastritis pain, though I have to say that even today (#2), the pain is a lot less. Yesterday after breakfast and lunch I felt famished and believe me, they were large meals. I also had the gripping gastritis pain. Then after dinner, I felt this zen feeling of - it wasn't fullness, it was more like satisfied. Like I didn't need anything else. Not a familiar feeling, that's for sure! But we ate early, at 6pm, and then at 10:30pm I was finishing up cooking for today and ate a couple of chicken tenderloins. Then I didn't go to bed until 12:30 but at 4am I was woken by pain! It was the familiar gastric pain right in my gut and accompanied by this hollow feeling of deep hunger. So crazy. I was also super warm (I am in perimenopause - it comes early in my family), so I cooled off, went to the bathroom and tried to focus on sleeping again and NOT getting up to eat. Eventually I fell asleep again. 

Is this common? Today I was hungry almost right after breakfast (3 eggs, sauteed kale, sauerkraut, avocado - begun at 8am but then continued at 9:15 because I had to leave for work) and that feeling was on and off until I had lunch (2 turkey burgers, green leaf lettuce w/primal kitchen dressing and walnuts) at 1:30. Then at 4 I had a snack of a chicken thigh w/half avocado and about 1/2 cup of the sauteed kale. And I'm still feeling like I could eat so I know this is purely physiological. But I feel crazy. 

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Tips are welcome. 

welcome @coachgad That's tough being hungry all the time! My best guess would be that your body is used to using carbs for fuel and switching to this way of eating it hasn't adapted to using fat for fuel just yet. How were you eating before you started this? I'm sure it will get better for you soon! The first few days were the worst for me and now almost halfway through my cravings and hunger are very low. Just make sure you are eating lots of fat with every meal, fat is very satiating and will help get you through. 

@coachgad I agree with @Alisha Alexander it is probably just the switch to a different energy source (carbs/sugar to fat). I definitely had that constant hunger feeling in the first week and part of the second week, but would always feel better once I had a meal with healthy fats. If I didn't have time to make a full meal but was really hungry, I'd have a spoonful of almond butter or sunbutter (although you're not really suppose to do that all the time). I bet it will get easier as you go along. I hope the gastritis pain continues to get better too!

Hi @coachgad, @Brandi0301, and @penelope123! Welcome aboard...on this particular thread, there are 4 of us that check in with each other often throughout the week...feel free to jump in anytime and talk or ask questions!!! 

@penelope123, Congrats on NOT licking or tasting a single one of those 48 cupcakes you had to make. I will be making a birthday cake for my 10 year old in a few days so I'll be going through that same thing soon. Also, I think several of us are looking forward to reintroducing cheese back into our lives...only 30 days without it, right?!?

@Brandi0301, Congratulations on having a baby recently!!! AND on starting the Whole30. If you haven't read this in the book already, you will most likely get really tired in the next couple of days and won't start getting your energy back until about day 7 or 8. It is your body trying to hold out for more sugar (glucose) to create energy from...it eventually gives up and lets starts using your fat/liver instead which is a much better source of steady energy. I probably didn't explain that very well. :D

@coachgad, Sorry to hear about all the pain you are experiencing and the crazy hunger you are experiencing. I am not a doctor or even remotely close to being a Whole30 expert, but after reading so many testimonials from people who have completed the program, I am guessing you will not have any of those problems by the end of the 30 days. I am on Day 13 and am quite surprised and happy how much better I feel already. Hopefully you'll get some relief even sooner than that!

@Lunarose, @Alisha Alexander and @imaginepilates, how did you guys do today? It was my 3rd day back at work...I didn't a slightly better job of planning ahead, but not perfect so I haven't eaten dinner yet. Of course I picked a meal that requires an hour of simmering (not smart), but it is almost done so I'll survive. Let me know if anyone tries a new recipe and they like it. I've got to start getting a little braver and trying some new things!

Sarah

• Moderators
5 hours ago, coachgad said:

Hi, I started yesterday and my hubby is doing his "own version" of Whole30 while I follow it to the letter. I'm about 50lbs overweight and have been having a lot of gastritis for the past several months. Started working out 4 months ago but there was no change in weight or size, but I felt stronger and my muscles were more defined. Along with the gastric pain, I realized I needed to do something drastic. So here I am! 

Challenges I'm experiencing are hunger and the gastritis pain, though I have to say that even today (#2), the pain is a lot less. Yesterday after breakfast and lunch I felt famished and believe me, they were large meals. I also had the gripping gastritis pain. Then after dinner, I felt this zen feeling of - it wasn't fullness, it was more like satisfied. Like I didn't need anything else. Not a familiar feeling, that's for sure! But we ate early, at 6pm, and then at 10:30pm I was finishing up cooking for today and ate a couple of chicken tenderloins. Then I didn't go to bed until 12:30 but at 4am I was woken by pain! It was the familiar gastric pain right in my gut and accompanied by this hollow feeling of deep hunger. So crazy. I was also super warm (I am in perimenopause - it comes early in my family), so I cooled off, went to the bathroom and tried to focus on sleeping again and NOT getting up to eat. Eventually I fell asleep again. 

Is this common? Today I was hungry almost right after breakfast (3 eggs, sauteed kale, sauerkraut, avocado - begun at 8am but then continued at 9:15 because I had to leave for work) and that feeling was on and off until I had lunch (2 turkey burgers, green leaf lettuce w/primal kitchen dressing and walnuts) at 1:30. Then at 4 I had a snack of a chicken thigh w/half avocado and about 1/2 cup of the sauteed kale. And I'm still feeling like I could eat so I know this is purely physiological. But I feel crazy. 

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Tips are welcome. 

Your meals don't look too bad.  Sometimes when people come from a place of restriction or diet frankenfood, their body realizes that food is incoming and it's REALLY excited in the form of hunger... if you feel that you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli when these hunger pangs hit, then definitely eat.  When you do eat between meals, your mini meal that you listed as your 4pm snack is perfect!  Protein and fat and ideally veggies... egg or chicken salad and crudite is a good one, leftover whatever is good.  Nuts, nut butters and fruits will do you no favors so try and steer clear of doing that.  Your hunger should level out as your body realizes that this is going to be an ongoing source of fuel.

Some other pointers - try and eat breakfast within an hour of waking.  Some people have an egg limit where they could eat 3 eggs or ten eggs and still be hungry so in that case, add some other source of protein to your eggs which will help you stay full longer.  Try eating the whole avocado (if you can afford it).  Greens are not particularly filling because their volume when cheweed down is nothing so if you're going to eat greens it needs to either be a huge amount or add some cooked or more hearty veggies to the greens. 

We do not expect you to go hungry, 'tough it out' or anything else.  If you're legitimately hungry, eat and then adjust your meals as necessary so that eventually you're getting 4-5 hours between.

@SarahSun today went pretty well, I think overall it's getting easier for me! I feel like I might not be eating enough, haven't been very hungry and so it's easy if I'm busy to just snack or eat light, but I know that's not the best thing to do. I too am hoping to find some inspiring recipes soon, lately just been throwing together whatever I have in the fridge to fit the template, and for dinner pan cooked meat and sauteed or roasted vegetables. Once again this weekend is going to be hectic for me with work, so I really need to make some large-batch meals for leftovers to bring with me.  

So far I am seeing the most improvement in my hair and skin. Also, it is getting easier to go without alcohol, which was my primary concern going into this. Thank goodness!

Will let you know if I find any new tasty recipes! 

@Lunarose, I am like you...for the first time in my life, I don't feel hungry all of the time...it is very liberating! BUT I definitely need to drink more water...my mouth is so dry all of the time! I have also been eating a lot of sautéed vegetables and chicken or beef. My other "go-to" meal is the Chili on zoodles. I am trying to get up the nerve to try the chicken chowder recipe that is in the book...I'm nervous because it has coconut milk and sweet potatoes and neither of those things sound good, BUT the picture looks really good so I'm just gonna have to be brave and try it! :D My sister tried the chicken meatballs and said they were amazing...I'll probably try those this weekend.

On to Day 14! 

I was about to say "Day 15, woohoo!" and realized it is actually day 14. :rolleyes: I think starting on the 2nd messed up my days haha (since today is Aug 15). Anyways... day 14! Woohoo!

So of course right after I said I am getting bored with meals, I went and made one of my best meals yet! It was spiced chicken, mashed sweet potato (garnet yams) and steamed broccoli - the broccoli wasn't spectacular but the combo of spiced chicken and yams was uh-maaaazing. I don't even normally like sweet potato but it combined perfectly with the spices and felt like total comfort food. Plus the mashed sweet potato includes coconut milk and ghee, so healthy fats were covered. Here are links for the recipes:

spiced chicken - https://www.peanutbutterrunner.com/grumpy-sullie-and-spiced-chicken-recipe/

mashed sweet potato (i omitted the onions) - https://whole30.com/2015/04/bangers-and-mash/

Of course, making this dinner wasn't without drama... I cooked the chicken in a cast iron skillet, and after I brought it out of the oven to make the pan sauce, I GRABBED THE HANDLE. Yeeeeeeooooouch! Fortunately my hand is doing much better today but there were definitely some tears. 

Anyways, about to do my first cardio exercise since starting the program - I am curious to see how it goes as I am starting to feel much healthier. Will report back! Hope y'all have a lovely day.

Thanks for the recipe!  I'll give it a shot this week. Ouch- your hand!  Burns are the worst.

I made the one pan balsamic chicken that was SO GOOD.  I added a small amount of red potatoes too.  

http://therealfoodrds.com/one-pan-balsamic-chicken-veggie-bake/

Good luck with your cardio!  I don't work out at all aside from chasing after a 3 year old and I'm going to start the shred again on Thursday (ouch).  But at least I now have the energy to do it. 

I didn't have the best day 14. I'm doing a class for the next two weeks and I knew it would be stressful but it's only two days in and I fee like I have no time or energy. The cooking and dishes is really getting to me now that I have no spare time, it is still a priority but It would sure be nice to have at least an hour to relax in the evenings! I seen a thing on pinterest about building slow cooker meals in freezer bags and then all you have to do is dump them in the slow cooker in the morning, and I also just picked up a paleo slow cooker cook book, So on the weekend I'm going to do some food prep and hopefully that will help me next week. 

I had a good size breakfast today of cooked cabbage, eggs and a chicken sausage but this afternoon I had what felt like a low blood sugar episode! I was shaky and almost feeling nauseous, It was very weird! I'm not sure if i'm not eating enough or maybe too much caffeine ( I drink two cups of half caff in the morning and thats it- but maybe i've gotten more sensitive to caffeine??). I have also been working out this week, so maybe a combo of exercise and stress... but other then a strooooong craving for coffee with sugar and cream in the afternoon (my usual school afternoon pick me up), I have no cravings and I seem to get full pretty quickly at my meals.

That is my rant for the day lol. Thanks for listening :lol: 

PS tomorrow is halfway!!!  yay!!

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Alisha Alexander said:

I didn't have the best day 14. I'm doing a class for the next two weeks and I knew it would be stressful but it's only two days in and I fee like I have no time or energy. The cooking and dishes is really getting to me now that I have no spare time, it is still a priority but It would sure be nice to have at least an hour to relax in the evenings! I seen a thing on pinterest about building slow cooker meals in freezer bags and then all you have to do is dump them in the slow cooker in the morning, and I also just picked up a paleo slow cooker cook book, So on the weekend I'm going to do some food prep and hopefully that will help me next week. 

I had a good size breakfast today of cooked cabbage, eggs and a chicken sausage but this afternoon I had what felt like a low blood sugar episode! I was shaky and almost feeling nauseous, It was very weird! I'm not sure if i'm not eating enough or maybe too much caffeine ( I drink two cups of half caff in the morning and thats it- but maybe i've gotten more sensitive to caffeine??). I have also been working out this week, so maybe a combo of exercise and stress... but other then a strooooong craving for coffee with sugar and cream in the afternoon (my usual school afternoon pick me up), I have no cravings and I seem to get full pretty quickly at my meals.

That is my rant for the day lol. Thanks for listening :lol: 

PS tomorrow is halfway!!!  yay!!

You mention breakfast but it has no fat and then you don't mention lunch between breakfast and getting the episode... are you eating three meals a day that match the template?

@Alisha Alexander sorry to hear you had a rough day. :( It seems like any changes in schedule are really difficult with Whole 30, I've definitely experienced that too. And yeah it sounds like you should probably be eating more if you are exercising regularly. I remember reading somewhere that it's good to have a pre workout snack and post workout snack along with the 3 meals. 

Speaking of exercise, I went for a run this morning and did sit ups, push ups, and squats. My run was pretty much half walking, half running, haha. I am definitely feeling out of shape/low energy, which might be due to Whole 30 but also because I took the first two weeks off from any exercise. Going to try again tomorrow. I made a bunch of hard boiled eggs for snacking before/after exercise.

And yes, slow cooker is the way to go! I've already decided that if I ever do Whole 30 again, I am definitely going to take some time beforehand making a bunch of slow cooker meals and storing them in the freezer.

Stoked we are reaching the halfway point tomorrow!!!

@Alisha Alexander, I like it when the Whole30 experts chime in...hopefully, taking her advice will fix your problem! My week is going to be much like yours. I am a teacher and ours students start back at school tomorrow. I have SOOOO much stuff to do and I am feeling very overwhelmed. I just spent the only 2 hours I had free tonight making dinner for tonight and lunch for tomorrow. I've GOT to get this freezer meal thing figured out quick! Also, I still haven't found a breakfast I really like so that is kind of bumming me out. I used to be a big fan of all the bad breakfast foods (i.e. biscuits and gravy, pancakes, etc.), ...my brain is just not on-board with a spinach frittata or hard boiled eggs...once again, more evidence that my brain needs the WHOLE thirty days to change old habits!!! @Lunarose, So sorry to hear about your hand! Thanks for the recipes...I'll let you know when I try one. We are nearly to the halfway mark! So exciting. I hope everyone else is having a successful day (I'm talking to you, newbies.). :)

@SarahSun I am struggling with ideas for breakfast as well - my go-to's are usually eggs in some form with spinach, salsa avocado, or a hamburger patty with mayo, mustard, tomato and avocado. I'm thinking of going really left field and making a salad for breakfast with leftover cooked chicken...

Let me know if you find any good breakfast options. And best of luck with the work grind, sounds like freezer meals are the way to go! I need to do more of that too.

12 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You mention breakfast but it has no fat and then you don't mention lunch between breakfast and getting the episode... are you eating three meals a day that match the template?

Yes I am eating three good size meals a day, the sausage was fairly fatty and I cooked the cabbage in a tablespoon of ghee. I usually make it 4-5 hours no hunger problems and my episode happened 3-4 hours after breakfast. For lunch that day I had steamed veg with some chicken in a coconut sauce, and dinner I had shrimp and mushrooms cooked in ghee and roasted cauliflower and beans with olive oil. 

@Lunarose salad for breakfast is actually really good. There is a recipe in the whole30 cook book and its a bacon tomato avocado salad with poached eggs. Its sooo good. It's a nice way to get some greens in the morning, and poached eggs on salad with whatever leftover meat is surprisingly good. I feel the same way about breakfast sometimes! It can get boring. Also I when I go for a run, I only  half run half walk too, It's all about improvement right!

@Alisha Alexander mmm that salad sounds really good! I think I need to make the investment in the cookbook, and maybe some compliant bacon. Do you order bacon online? I haven't checked whole foods yet but so far no luck at other grocery stores.

And yes, with running it's all about the baby steps! I went again this morning and again walked about half of it but my muscles felt less tired so that's a plus!

On 8/14/2017 at 10:25 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Your meals don't look too bad.  Sometimes when people come from a place of restriction or diet frankenfood, their body realizes that food is incoming and it's REALLY excited in the form of hunger... if you feel that you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli when these hunger pangs hit, then definitely eat.  When you do eat between meals, your mini meal that you listed as your 4pm snack is perfect!  Protein and fat and ideally veggies... egg or chicken salad and crudite is a good one, leftover whatever is good.  Nuts, nut butters and fruits will do you no favors so try and steer clear of doing that.  Your hunger should level out as your body realizes that this is going to be an ongoing source of fuel.

Some other pointers - try and eat breakfast within an hour of waking.  Some people have an egg limit where they could eat 3 eggs or ten eggs and still be hungry so in that case, add some other source of protein to your eggs which will help you stay full longer.  Try eating the whole avocado (if you can afford it).  Greens are not particularly filling because their volume when cheweed down is nothing so if you're going to eat greens it needs to either be a huge amount or add some cooked or more hearty veggies to the greens. 

We do not expect you to go hungry, 'tough it out' or anything else.  If you're legitimately hungry, eat and then adjust your meals as necessary so that eventually you're getting 4-5 hours between.

Thank you for this reply. The hunger feeling is one that I get when something is off, though, like when I take prednisone (for asthma flareups). Prednisone has a reputation for making people bigger and it does this partially by making people (ME) famished, like no food is enough. It's like a sick-type of hunger feeling but I feel it as real hunger. I will be mindful to use the fish & broccoli visual, though. Egg salad is a really good idea! I will make that tonight for tomorrow. And thanks for the OK re: avocado. Today I have 3/4 of one to have with lunch. That should definitely do me! I think I've been a little afraid to go overboard with the sweet potatoes, etc., so I will be more fearless. 

Good thing: last night was the first night I didn't wake up with that craaaazzyyy hunger pain. So that's a total win! Thanks again!

On 8/14/2017 at 6:32 PM, Alisha Alexander said:

welcome @coachgad That's tough being hungry all the time! My best guess would be that your body is used to using carbs for fuel and switching to this way of eating it hasn't adapted to using fat for fuel just yet. How were you eating before you started this? I'm sure it will get better for you soon! The first few days were the worst for me and now almost halfway through my cravings and hunger are very low. Just make sure you are eating lots of fat with every meal, fat is very satiating and will help get you through. 

On 8/14/2017 at 9:37 PM, SarahSun said:

Hi @coachgad, @Brandi0301, and @penelope123! Welcome aboard...on this particular thread, there are 4 of us that check in with each other often throughout the week...feel free to jump in anytime and talk or ask questions!!! 

@penelope123, Congrats on NOT licking or tasting a single one of those 48 cupcakes you had to make. I will be making a birthday cake for my 10 year old in a few days so I'll be going through that same thing soon. Also, I think several of us are looking forward to reintroducing cheese back into our lives...only 30 days without it, right?!?

@Brandi0301, Congratulations on having a baby recently!!! AND on starting the Whole30. If you haven't read this in the book already, you will most likely get really tired in the next couple of days and won't start getting your energy back until about day 7 or 8. It is your body trying to hold out for more sugar (glucose) to create energy from...it eventually gives up and lets starts using your fat/liver instead which is a much better source of steady energy. I probably didn't explain that very well. :D

@coachgad, Sorry to hear about all the pain you are experiencing and the crazy hunger you are experiencing. I am not a doctor or even remotely close to being a Whole30 expert, but after reading so many testimonials from people who have completed the program, I am guessing you will not have any of those problems by the end of the 30 days. I am on Day 13 and am quite surprised and happy how much better I feel already. Hopefully you'll get some relief even sooner than that!

@Lunarose, @Alisha Alexander and @imaginepilates, how did you guys do today? It was my 3rd day back at work...I didn't a slightly better job of planning ahead, but not perfect so I haven't eaten dinner yet. Of course I picked a meal that requires an hour of simmering (not smart), but it is almost done so I'll survive. Let me know if anyone tries a new recipe and they like it. I've got to start getting a little braver and trying some new things!

Sarah

Wow! I just realized I could quote everyone I wanted to acknowledge here - thank you all for being so welcoming and kind. I was a little under the weather yesterday but stayed on plan. And yes, the hunger is still there but seems less intense each day. I'm not feeling the cravings for anything particular, per se, just the hunger. Hopefully it will get better every day from here on out. Of course my husband already has less bloat and is really feeling full. He doesn't really get my struggle, LOL. :)

On 8/14/2017 at 9:37 PM, SarahSun said:

Sarah

Hi there, it took me a while to get started with meal planning and prep, but they aren't lying when they say that's planning and preparation are the key to being successful on Whole30. ;)  After being on it for 5 days, I'm so much better at it.  I also found a great crockpot meal planning guide (attached).  I did notice that my grocery costs are quite a bit higher this month because I didn't have a lot of the "start-up" items I need for the program. I believe it will get better in a few weeks.

Whole30-Slow-Cooker-Freezer-Meal-Plan-from-New-Leaf-Wellness.pdf

Archived