Starting today!

Lunarose

Well, wrapping up Day 22 with a so-so dinner (compliant taco meat, romaine lettuce, avocado and tomato). I had a pretty big drop in energy at work today which was concerning, but I think it has to be due to my crappy breakfast (pineapple orange juice...not a breakfast). My lunch (zucchini noodles and shrimp) did not "pick me up" which was surprising. Just bought a bunch of vegetables from the Farmers Market for the first time. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all of them. :D  I bought some orange-ish zucchini which looks pretty interesting. I also bought an eggplant even though I am pretty sure I don't like those...I thought I should give it a try now that I am eating so much better. If anyone has a great recipe for eggplant, feel free to send it my way. 

Sarah

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I forgot to mention that I bought an orange-ish tomato that is apparently less acidic than most. I don't think this is particularly interesting, but wanted to show you that it made my "taco salad" look colorful and tasty even though it was kind of boring. :D

Sarah

Taco salad.png

On 8/22/2017 at 10:52 AM, blgmw2 said:

Day 2 for me. Prep was Sunday and oh boy it was long.... I gave up yogurt, cheese sticks and splenda about three weeks ago and have tweaked my coffee with coconut cream and a little bit of water to reduce the coconut taste. No headaches for me yet, but I'm just waiting for it... It seems like this is a lot of food. The food is similar to what I have been eating other than compliant ingredients. Also the protein and starch after my workout at 7:30 has me eating breakfast at 10:00 in the morning. I work from home most days. It seems like there is alot of food. Thinking about eating leftovers for dinner in my first week due to not wanting to throw it out The frittata was a serving for six for me. I can only eat so much. I stop when I am full. Looking forward to hearing other stories as well as support for the next 29 days.... 

Looks like we are on the same schedule.  I have made it with no prob so far, but you guys are starting to scare me.  Was it easy in the beginnng then hit you by day 16 or 17?   i wasn't really following recipes, are there ones I should be following?   I am closely looking for no sneaky sugar.  I guess I should have read he book.  Did you all read it?

ETA:  I am reading the timeline now.   Some f my questions are answered in there.  

@SarahSun I went to the farmer's market today too! Got peaches, nectarines, chard, and pork chops. I am also not a fan of eggplant but have found I can eat it tomato sauces... don't have a recipe but maybe that helps? Also that salad is so pretty! :) zucchini is great because you can add it to just about anything. I've found any time i'm not feeling a pick me up from foods, I go for steak. Even a cheaper sirloin steak... always seems to satiate and give me energy.

@MarcyW I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it definitely got easier as I went along... I think it was just that around day 16 and 17 I had a lot of work stuff come up and was really stressed out and didn't have time to make good meals. So then I was constantly hungry, and stressed... you get the idea. Overall the first week or two were much more difficult for me physically and psychologically, just adjusting to the dietary changes. Sorry if we scared you, haha!

Here's a few blogs that have Whole 30 recipes: 

http://nomnompaleo.com/

https://meljoulwan.com/

I've basically found all of my recipes via the internet, haven't gotten the cookbook. I did listen to the audio book "It Starts With Food" before I started, it is pretty sciencey but interesting to learn about how different foods affect us. 

Wow! Sounds like your doing great! Your foods sound very tasty. The wings sound delicious. Is that hot sauce hot? Lol! I am finding I am a bit light headed today but truly not bad. I have some things to do before the evening ends. Write more later. 

@MarcyW, Don't let those posts scare you! :D  There are many phases to the process and a meltdown here and there is totally normal!! For me personally, the book (The 30-day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom) was a life-saver for me! I actually carried it around with me to the grocery store on several occasions and still reference it constantly. One of my favorite parts of the book is the timeline that lists how you will most likely feel (physically and emotionally) on each of the 30 days...it is a lot easier to deal with a craving or tiredness if you know that it won't last and that there is a scientific reason for it!!

Also, this forum has been so helpful to me. The people in my life are happy for me and the changes I am making to be a more healthy eater, but they can't relate to what I am going through as a person navigating the Whole30 for the first time!

You are smart to look for sneaky sugars...you would be shocked at all the different ways it shows up in food. The program created a document that lists all the different ways sugar is labeled when snuck into food items...I'll try to locate it and attach it. 

Lots of luck to you on your journey. I have spent my whole life eating terrible food because I love the taste of it and I have made it to Day 22 of this program (and will have no problem getting to Day 30) so let that be evidence that this program CAN be done!

Sarah

On 8/22/2017 at 7:22 PM, SarahSun said:

@blgmw2, Congrats on joining the program! Get ready to be tired in the next few days, but don't worry, it won't last long. Let us know if you come across any good recipes you like. If you scroll up, you'll find a few we liked as we navigated through the program. I am currently on Day 21...very exciting to see that I really could do this!! So can you!

Sarah

Thanks! I work from home and so I can catch a nap when needed. I typically take a 10-20 minute nap if I'm on my computer all day. I need to get to my local grocery who has the compliant salad dressing buy one get one. Congrats on making it this far in the program! 

4 minutes ago, blgmw2 said:

Wow! Sounds like your doing great! Your foods sound very tasty. The wings sound delicious. Is that hot sauce hot? Lol! I am finding I am a bit light headed today but truly not bad. I have some things to do before the evening ends. Write more later. 

I get light-headed often...I haven't had a chance to figure out why. Any moderators want to comment on that?   :D

Sarah

8 minutes ago, SarahSun said:

@MarcyW, Don't let those posts scare you! :D  There are many phases to the process and a meltdown here and there is totally normal!! For me personally, the book (The 30-day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom) was a life-saver for me! I actually carried it around with me to the grocery store on several occasions and still reference it constantly. One of my favorite parts of the book is the timeline that lists how you will most likely feel (physically and emotionally) on each of the 30 days...it is a lot easier to deal with a craving or tiredness if you know that it won't last and that there is a scientific reason for it!!

Also, this forum has been so helpful to me. The people in my life are happy for me and the changes I am making to be a more healthy eater, but they can't relate to what I am going through as a person navigating the Whole30 for the first time!

You are smart to look for sneaky sugars...you would be shocked at all the different ways it shows up in food. The program created a document that lists all the different ways sugar is labeled when snuck into food items...I'll try to locate it and attach it. 

Lots of luck to you on your journey. I have spent my whole life eating terrible food because I love the taste of it and I have made it to Day 22 of this program (and will have no problem getting to Day 30) so let that be evidence that this program CAN be done!

Sarah

Here is that document...

Whole30 Sneaky Sugars.pdf

@blgmw2 I'd say franks hot sauce is fairly mild as far is as spiciness although I think that is very subjective! I'd recommend getting a small bottle of it and trying it on eggs or something first, before slathering it on a big batch of chicken wings haha! But we love it, I'm happy it's compliant because it's really tasty, in my opinion. We use the big bottle for chicken wings.

@SarahSun I cook chard the same way I cook kale, they are similar leafy greens. It's really easy! Just saute minced garlic in olive oil for a minute, then add chopped chard, a bit of water or broth, cover to steam (until bright green) and then uncover to finish cooking. then I add salt and pepper and a few splashes of compliant red wine vinegar. But even without vinegar is fine. It makes a nice side dish for meats, or with eggs for breakfast.

I made chicken picatta last night and served it with green beans from the farmers market sauteed in olive oil and garlic and oven roasted new potatoes with olive oill, salt, pepper, and rosemary. It was fantastic! Here's the recipe. https://www.noshtastic.com/easy-chicken-piccata/

Most of the cravings are gone (even wine!!!) But I would kill for some Greek yogurt. 

14 hours ago, Lunarose said:

@blgmw2 I'd say franks hot sauce is fairly mild as far is as spiciness although I think that is very subjective! I'd recommend getting a small bottle of it and trying it on eggs or something first, before slathering it on a big batch of chicken wings haha! But we love it, I'm happy it's compliant because it's really tasty, in my opinion. We use the big bottle for chicken wings.

@SarahSun I cook chard the same way I cook kale, they are similar leafy greens. It's really easy! Just saute minced garlic in olive oil for a minute, then add chopped chard, a bit of water or broth, cover to steam (until bright green) and then uncover to finish cooking. then I add salt and pepper and a few splashes of compliant red wine vinegar. But even without vinegar is fine. It makes a nice side dish for meats, or with eggs for breakfast.

I am going to make them this weekend. My husband and I love Buffalo wild wings so we will try this.... 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, SarahSun said:

Well, wrapping up Day 22 with a so-so dinner (compliant taco meat, romaine lettuce, avocado and tomato). I had a pretty big drop in energy at work today which was concerning, but I think it has to be due to my crappy breakfast (pineapple orange juice...not a breakfast). My lunch (zucchini noodles and shrimp) did not "pick me up" which was surprising. Just bought a bunch of vegetables from the Farmers Market for the first time. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all of them. :D  I bought some orange-ish zucchini which looks pretty interesting. I also bought an eggplant even though I am pretty sure I don't like those...I thought I should give it a try now that I am eating so much better. If anyone has a great recipe for eggplant, feel free to send it my way. 

Sarah

I'm not a huge eggplant fan, but I like baba ganoush (also, baba ganoush is just fun to say out loud). Maybe that's an option?

You mentioned being light-headed -- be sure you're eating enough (double check the meal template) and especially that you're including fat in every meal, generally in addition to what you're cooking in. Also salt your food to taste, and be sure you're drinking enough water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight at a minimum, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz -- more if you're sweating a lot through either exercise or just being outside in heat and humidity).

8 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I'm not a huge eggplant fan, but I like baba ganoush (also, baba ganoush is just fun to say out loud). Maybe that's an option?

You mentioned being light-headed -- be sure you're eating enough (double check the meal template) and especially that you're including fat in every meal, generally in addition to what you're cooking in. Also salt your food to taste, and be sure you're drinking enough water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight at a minimum, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz -- more if you're sweating a lot through either exercise or just being outside in heat and humidity).

Thank you for the input. I know I am not drinking enough water...I don't know why this is such a difficult task for me, but it is!! I will try harder since I know that could be contributing to the problem. I'll check the meal template again too...I have actually been meaning to do that...thanks for attaching it because I couldn't remember where I had seen it. Btw, baba ganoush is definitely fun to say.   :D

Sarah

On 8/24/2017 at 0:00 PM, blgmw2 said:

I am going to make them this weekend. My husband and I love Buffalo wild wings so we will try this.... 

I bought my Franks hot sauce and wings. I'll be cooking them Sunday. I will let you know if we like or love them....Lol!

Day 24... getting into the last week! At this point I am really looking forward to staying up til midnight on day 30 and having my champagne and ice cream, haha. So, dairy will be the first food category I am reintroducing. I keep imagining a fancy fruit and cheese plate as well...

For everyone getting into their last week - what are your reintroduction plans? Which foods will you try first?? We are supposed to reintroduce each food group a few days at a time right? I haven't read up much on it yet.

Overall I am feeling healthy. I don't think I've actually lost all that much weight, but that's okay. I didn't really do a whole lot of exercise during it which may be why. Although the past few days I went for a run and did pushups, kettlebell swings, sit ups, and squats with kettlebell. I actually feel kind of weak when I'm exercising (like tired muscles), but maybe that's because I didn't do anything for the first couple of weeks. Like I said before, my skin and hair are much healthier. I've also been sleeping better, generally have more energy during the day, and less joint pain (my shoulders have always been an issue for me). 

I'd really like to carry on with Whole 30 as much as possible once the 30 days are up. And I'm already thinking about doing it again in January!

Dinner tonight will be steaks, sauteed kale, and roasted potatoes with rosemary. Hope y'all have a lovely evening.

@Lunarose and @Alisha Alexander, I have been thinking about my "first meal" a lot too! I can't decide what to eat first, but it probably won't be anything too exciting until Day 41 when we are allowed to blend all the "troublesome" ingredients together!! :D As I get closer to reintroduction and figure out exactly what I am going to do, I'll let you know.

I have been looking up a lot of "Paleo" recipes and will most likely adopt that type of eating...I also like the idea of staying "clean" by only buying stuff with minimal ingredients. I got a Paleo desserts cookbook and all the recipes in it look amazing!

As excited I am about some of those bad foods, I feel so good about my progress on the Whole30 that I have no urges to eat something that will mess it up. In terms on non-scale victories, I have a steady amount of energy all day (which is a big deal for me and the main reason I went on the Whole30 in the first place), my gut problems are very minimal and I have experienced food freedom for the first time in my entire life! 

Dinner tonight was a bunch of stuff thrown together and it tasted really good...shredded cabbage, carrots and zucchini sautéed in coconut aminos and olive oil and mixed with ground beef flavored with various seasonings. :)

Sarah

@Lunarose the basics of reintroduction is to have enough of a food (or food group) to see if your body reacts, and then leave enough time in between testing days to see if there is a reaction (and let your body recover), she recommends 2-3 days. She also recommends to introduce foods that are less likely to be problematic first, like sugar, gluten free alcohol and non-gluten grains, and to save gluten and dairy for the last foods to reintroduce.

So I have mentioned before that I have been 'mostly' paleo for almost 2 years, but I've really struggled to nail it down to 90+% of the time. This way of eating is something I really believe in, I think it's better for my body (controlling blood sugar, preventing disease) to supporting things like pasture raised, animals which is better for the planet (and really the local ecosystem). So I am going to reintroduce some foods but I'm going to take this reset as a chance to really keep myself where I've wanted to be for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is never going to be gluten dairy filled pizza in my future lol. Dairy has been a big struggle for me, because lets face it cream and cheese are life!!! But I have a hard time with how dairy is produced ( I'm actually in school getting my degree in Agriculture so I've been to a few dairy farms), plus I know I don't digest it well. This has been the hardest realization for me, but I know it aligns with what my body and heart want. I've heard that raw grass fed dairy can actually be a really healthy food, but where I live it is impossible to find. 

BUT I am excited to reintroduce other things, and make this way of eating more sustainable. Things like rice, and paleo versions of more indulgent foods. So basically some honey and gluten free grains here and there. Oh and I found a recipe for pumkin spice coconut cream for coffee that I can't wait to try. I do know that some of these foods (like rice) can be a slippery slope for me so I plan to keep journaling and paying attention to how I feel. 

After years, ok almost decades now, of struggling with my weight and yo-yo dieting I feel like I am in the best place I have ever been. I have really let go of the number on the scale (can't believe it!) not to say I still don't have a goal weight in mind, but I'm putting my eating first and I know that will follow. I know these changes are for the long term and the reintroduction phase will be about finding a way I can eat and be happy forevaaa

Guess I was feeling chatty. That was alot :lol:

Hope everyone has a great Saturday! Day 25! 

@Alisha Alexander, that is really cool that you are getting a degree in Agriculture! I am really glad you have found "scale freedom". :D

Although I feel really great in terms of mental status and energy level, I am starting to notice a trend (3 days in a row now) of gut/bowel problems. Anyone else experiencing this? I have literally eaten the same thing for the last 3 days and the only ingredients that are different than what I have eaten numerous times in the last 25 days is coconut aminos and cabbage. Thoughts?

Sarah

6 minutes ago, SarahSun said:

@Alisha Alexander, that is really cool that you are getting a degree in Agriculture! I am really glad you have found "scale freedom". :D

Although I feel really great in terms of mental status and energy level, I am starting to notice a trend (3 days in a row now) of gut/bowel problems. Anyone else experiencing this? I have literally eaten the same thing for the last 3 days and the only ingredients that are different than what I have eaten numerous times in the last 25 days is coconut aminos and cabbage. Thoughts?

Sarah

Well, I figured out how to search for this specific  problem on the forum and have definitely seen evidence that coconut products can cause gastrointestinal problems. Guess I am not gonna use the coconut aminos I bought anymore...NOT worth it!!!

Sarah

OMG...I just need to whine (and over-share) for a minute. I was supposed to be having a relaxing day...no obligations or plans...just comfy clothes and a nice mix of light house work and my favorite stress-reducing activities, BUT I have had so much stomach cramping and diarrhea today. :(

The only thing I can figure out is that it might have been the coconut aminos I used in my last couple of meals.

So UNfun.

Sarah

Archived