Starting today!

Lunarose

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lunarose and @Alisha Alexander, I have finally weighed and measured myself...no wonder why people have been commenting about it. I have lost approximately 3 inches from my butt, hips and chest and 25 lbs! I am very excited...these are from measurements taken on July 14 since I did a 2-week sugar detox before I started the Whole30. I am super happy, but I need to stay healthy because I still have a ways to go...I would like to lose about 30 more pounds although 45 pounds would put me in "normal" range for someone of my height and frame. I told you, I have a long history of bad eating!!

I am super curious to hear about your reintroduction experiences. So far, my body hated the first 2 things I ate...I was in the bathroom suffering the consequences within an hour of eating it!!!! The first meal was compliant mexican chicken, pork, steak and onions with refried beans (legume day). The other one was a brisket and roast beef sandwich from Arby's (gluten day?). On legume day, I think I ate too much which is mostly what made me miserable. Yesterday, I was stuck rushing another introduction because we were heading to the zoo and I did not prepare anything Whole30 approved. I thought roast beef and brisket with a little bit of bread (I took most of the bun off) would be okay, but it wasn't!!!!! I will NOT be eating fast food ever again.

Have a great day!

Sarah

• Moderators

Congrats to all who are finished or finishing and starting the next chapter!  The mods kindly ask that if you guys want to chat through reintroductions and life after whole30 that one of you go ahead and start a thread on the Life After Whole30 section... we often have newbies who come along and only start reading at most recent posts where off plan things are being discussed and it can get confusing for them (and make a lot of work explaining for us ;) ).

Way to go all who completed, you guys did something that is not so simple!  Good work!!!

3 hours ago, SarahSun said:

@Lunarose and @Alisha Alexander, I have finally weighed and measured myself...no wonder why people have been commenting about it. I have lost approximately 3 inches from my butt, hips and chest and 25 lbs! I am very excited...these are from measurements taken on July 14 since I did a 2-week sugar detox before I started the Whole30. I am super happy, but I need to stay healthy because I still have a ways to go...I would like to lose about 30 more pounds although 45 pounds would put me in "normal" range for someone of my height and frame. I told you, I have a long history of bad eating!!

I am super curious to hear about your reintroduction experiences. So far, my body hated the first 2 things I ate...I was in the bathroom suffering the consequences within an hour of eating it!!!! The first meal was compliant mexican chicken, pork, steak and onions with refried beans (legume day). The other one was a brisket and roast beef sandwich from Arby's (gluten day?). On legume day, I think I ate too much which is mostly what made me miserable. Yesterday, I was stuck rushing another introduction because we were heading to the zoo and I did not prepare anything Whole30 approved. I thought roast beef and brisket with a little bit of bread (I took most of the bun off) would be okay, but it wasn't!!!!! I will NOT be eating fast food ever again.

Have a great day!

Sarah

25lbs? OH MY GOSH!!! CONGRATS TO YOU!!!! 

13 hours ago, SarahSun said:

Thank you, @blgmw2! I am pretty excited. I hope your journey is going well too!

@Cherese, Congrats on starting the program! I bet the pot roast was good...I have been meaning to make that, but haven't gotten to it yet! Keep up the enthusiasm.

Sarah

I am doing well! Day 18 and feeling good. I made a big batch of roasted potatoes, green peppers, red peppers and onion with some seasonings and then a big batch of scrambled eggs. I will be eating this for the next 5 or six days for breakfast. It was delicious... 

I am so sorry I've been MIA!!! congrats @Alisha Alexander and @SarahSun !!! I am so happy we made this journey together. And wow - sounds like you both had some amazing results as well! 

I weighed and measured and... my results were not very dramatic at all, haha. I lost one pound (yes, one pound) and just around an inch with all measurements. Granted I did measurements and weight while on my cycle again (I seriously had the worst timing with my cycle for this - started the first week and last week of the 30 days :/ ), so might have been a bit bloated but still don't think there was a whole lot of weight/inches lost for me. Which is frustrating, but with all the other health benefits I got out of it I'm not getting too down about it. Here are the main benefits I got from doing Whole 30:

-better sleep

-healthier hair and skin

- even energy throughout the day

-an entirely new perspective on my eating habits, which continues after whole 30

-no longer require alcohol at the end of the day to wind down (this is a big one for me)

-an ongoing journey to better health 

Here are the foods I relied on most during my whole 30:

-eggs (of course)

-potatoes and yams (my husband and I both discovered that we loved mashed yams)

-spinach, kale, chard (for sauteed greens)

-coconut oil and ghee for cooking

-garlic and spices for seasoning

-almond butter

-berries (for "dessert")

-avocado

-homemade mayo

-frozen hamburger patties

My favorite meals:

Breakfast - sauteed spinach and garlic with fried eggs, salsa or tomato slices, and avocado plus iced cold brew coffee with nutpod cream for beverage

Lunch - salad greens, tuna salad (canned tuna, homemade mayo, chopped onion and bell pepper), olives, tomato, avocado, drizzle of olive oil and lemon

Dinner - Steak, mashed yams (yams, ghee and coconut milk), sauteed kale seasoned with red wine vinegar

Some things I learned:

-meal prep is incredibly important (yes I heard this beforehand but you don't really realize it til you are in it!) - slow cooker is super helpful for this

-healthy fats are very necessary - days I didn't consume enough healthy fats I felt lethargic, cranky and weak..makes sense as the whole point of whole 30 is to get your metabolism burning fats for energy!!!

-it is basically impossible to find compliant foods on the go, always bring meals and snacks (this was really tough for me on days I was running around)

-protein for breakfast is key, fruits and nuts just don't hack it for starting your day with good energy

-I am capable of so much more than I imagined :)

Things I could have done better:

-eat fewer RX bars-- I became a bit too reliant on this when I was running around or didn't have time to make a meal

-eat 3 full meals per day (see above)

-exercise more -- I think it was actually good for me to go easy on exercise the first week or two, but wish I had done more in the last half of it

-drink more water

-set aside one day for meal prep - this would have made the journey so much easier, just lacked the discipline and scheduling to do it. Something I'll keep working on after whole 30

I won't go too much into life after whole 30 as I know that that is supposed to be discussed in another section of the forum, but I will say that my overall goals/intentions are:

-keep eating compliant foods as much as possible

-keep alcohol consumption down to one day (2 drinks) per week

-drink more water

-exercise more

-create a meal prep day

And to everyone who is still in their Whole 30 - best of luck and good health to you!!! 

Wow, @Lunarose, well said!!!! I'll have to create a summary like that about my experiences! So helpful and fun to read. I am glad you are able to see all of the non-scale victories...those really are my greatest gifts from doing this program. I'll get back to you soon (probably from the other forum section/page).

@blgmw2 and @Cherese, I hope your Whole30 experience is going well! Keep it up!!

Sarah

Archived