July Fivers reintro

misshannah

Hello Ladies - 

I finished my first Whole30 on July 29th and as you may know in reading some of my forum entries - I was very meticulous with my choices during my 30 days. I even re-started when I was on my original Day 12 all because I found out that my bacon had sugar in it. After that majestic effort I have struggled with what to do now. I thought about a slow re-intro, then picked one thing a week to bring back and then got overwhelmed. In my confusion I am seeing some of my old habits coming back but with compliant food. Things like eating outside of my 3 meals and not doing the pre- and post- WO mini-meals. What a mess. I am hoping to share my challenges with you guys and also share my solutions. 

I am on Day 35 and have brought back several previously eliminated foods. Wine, gluten and sugar have been my intentional and some non-intentional re-intro's. I am struggling with some personal disappointment with not doing my re-intro in a planned manner. I need to get over it and just move on with the Whole 30. Just stick with it each day and not worry about a planned re-intro "plan". I think I am using this W30 end as the opening of the flood gates!!!!  OMG

More tomorrow.

I have modified my plan because I am having celebratory cocktails. I intend to refrain from alcohol in my day to day but it's so hard to deny its role in celebration. I'm just trying to do my best so I will stay compliant w food today and the next two.

Okay, I'm a little freaked. I'm going to stick with the whole 30 for a while longer. I feel sort of overwhelmed. Really gals, this is the first time I've been able to lose any weight in four years and I was gaining about 20 pounds a year! I'm so happy to not be sick and crazed about food. I know I'm supposed to get back in the drivers seat. But I am not ready. I do have a five day vacation at the end of the month and even though several of us have told them we are paleo, there will be no meat. It's all vegetarian with lots of soy and carbs. Yikes!!!!! I'm thinking I'll bring a cooler. Feeling a little down today, but I'm compliant and that will help me to balance. Thank you for your support.

Sister even if you do get farther off track than you'd like, you now have a powerful tool. Be at peace so your brain knows this is not a time for fight or flight, because the last thing you want is stress hormones coursing thru you. 

You got this, don't worry. Going off track is part of the process. It's ok. 

Sister and "Missy" I believe that the power in each of us is in the power to forgive ourselves and RESTART. I have set so many goals and expectations for myself that I started with gang-busters and slipped up. I have learned over the years (can you see the gray hair in my pic) that the power is in the NEW next day. Forgive an forget - yourself. 

Sister, I was hoping to lose more weight with my W30 but alas ... I lost 4 pounds. I had 12 to lose so now I only have 8 to lose. These last few will be a bugger thus the exercise program I am putting together.

I went bonkers yesterday with my out of bounds eating but I started today with a plan and I stuck to it. Had a bad day with a few business issues but I did get in my workout plus my pre- and post- WO mini meals which were my challenges.  Since my hubby and I are in business together - we had a couple of glasses of wine on the patio to wind down together. My wine of choice was my Frey  - Cabernet with no added sulfites. I will let you know if it disrupts my sleep like it did before.

I am excited about tomorrow.  Sister - I would pack my cooler for your vacation at the end of the month. Shoot, I packed my cooler for a busy afternoon. You can do it.

21 hours ago, misshannah said:

Sister even if you do get farther off track than you'd like, you now have a powerful tool. Be at peace so your brain knows this is not a time for fight or flight, because the last thing you want is stress hormones coursing thru you. 

You got this, don't worry. Going off track is part of the process. It's ok. 

Yes! I feel silly. So I had a ham steak for dinner last night. I was afraid the sugar it was cured with might trigger cravings for sugar or to over eat, it did not! I'm feeling braver now. Today - a little milk in my coffee. The only thing I've really missed. Thank you for your support misshannah!

So, drum roll please.... weight lost = 9 lbs!!!! 225 to 216. It may not seem like a lot, but when you have a sick thyroid it seems like a miracle. I was on WW and other programs and never moved the needle. *Happy Dance*

Other measurements: waist 40 was 42; hips 47 was 51; bust 42 and 42, thighs 26 was 27, neck 15 was 16, arms 14 was 15.

Take that hypothyroidism!

Love and hugs everyone :)

I plan on weighing myself after I get back from working out this morning, but I honestly don't think I've lost anything (not that that was my goal). I'm reintroducing legumes first. I had some peanut butter with some banana slices with my lunch, and a cup of miso soup with my dinner. This morning I had a spoonful of peanutbutter mixed into my breakfast bowl instead of almond butter. I hope peanut butter is fine. It's so much more affordable than almond butter, even the good kinds. I don't feel any differences yet. Next I think will me non-gluten grains. I'm saving dairy until last because I suspect that's what was causing at least some of my skin and digestive issues.

im still fighting my sugar dragon, and I think that will be a life long battle, but for now I'm successfully limiting it to fruit except for special occasions.

I have always been the 'Restart Queen' so after testing the waters with various re-intro foods - I have decided to push forward with another W30 and this time I am adding exercise to my life. I have not done any exercise for over 15 years. I joined a gym on my birthday and am trying to go every day (5 out of 7) even if it is only for 30 min. Since I only lost 4 pounds going through my first W30, I am going to push with the clean eating combined with exercise and see if that can get another 4 pounds off. This will also lift all of the re-intro evaluations that are driving me crazy. I will just put my Frey wine back on the shelf for a while. I will sleep better.  None of the additions were all that important. I though the wine would be what I missed the most but I don't like what it does to my sleep patterns. 

I will keep you guys posted. 

I had some cocktails on Friday night with predictable results (relatively poor sleep and some joint pain) but they were worth it for celebration.  we had French 75s, which are gin and champagne. 

Satureday we rreintro'd corn. At first I was elated because I didn't feel any immediate ill effects. I thought "yay, can have corn chips and tortillas and popcorn and all the corn!" But the wisdom of the reintroduction process (stay compliant for a couple days) revealed that corn inflames my system and today my lungs feel a tad asthmatic and my sinuses were all stuff this morning! For my partner, he had digestive distress...lots of bloating and gas over the two days.

Learning! Knowledge gained! So now we can decide how much, if any, corn we want to eat, and what to expect! 

I weighed in the other day and found that I lost just under 5 lbs during Whole30. I've officially lost all my baby weight (almost two years later)!

I've reintroduced legumes, specifically peanuts and soy and they went well. Today I took a step into non-gluten grains. I made cornmeal crusted chicken strips and so far so good. I've also been having some sugar, but not candy or sweets. I made homemade honey mustard dipping sauce and it was good but seemed so sweet.

Legumes are up next for me @Hypotheticalfox... specifically peanut butter, green peas, and black beans. I also had a bit of sugar in an almond milk latte (so not worth it) and a honey/garlic/coconut aminos sauce for beef in lettuce wraps with grilled pineapple. More worth it! But yes, super sweet and sticky LOL.

Trying to continue good habits during reintroduction. Made four batches of cookie dough last night (its my mother's birthday, then my step mothers birthday, then my inlaws 40th anniversary, and all of them requested various cookies as presents), and I couldn't/didn't even eat one bite of it. For the first time ever, I didn't even taste the dough! I might be an enabler to others, but special occasions demand shortbread cookies, espresso shortbreads, and chocolate chip cookies, and I resisted.

Then, later that night, I had my husband teach me how to deadlift. I was only lifting the bar (45 lbs I'm told), but I still did 4 sets of 6. This morning I went running for two miles, then road the stationary bike for 15 mins.

it is very encouraging to read about everyones challenges and successes. I had a setback on my restart for yesterday. Busy schedule - bad weather - sinuses that just wouldn't stop - some of my angry moods!!!  All of that just pushed me into eating "non-program un-intentional"  reintro foods. Enough excuses. I am back on track with my basic W30.  The one I am calling my 2nd W30. I hope I can make it for the next 30 days. I really want to drop those next 4 pounds.

Wish me luck.

Hi everyone! It is good to hear how we are doing. Best wishes to Ouisie for a second W30 it sounds like a good idea to add the exercise. The only change I have made is I have half-and-half in my coffee or black chai tea. Otherwise I am compliant in all other ways. I haven't noticed any trouble with the milk/cream and it's been just about a week. However, I'm not interested in adding yogurt, etc. I really wonder if the sugar in yogurt -- even the good brands that I buy -- won't conjure up that nasty sugar dragon! But I am getting bored with my three or four favorite meals. I think it is time to experiment and do some cooking. As some of you know cooking is not something I have much experience in so it is challenging because I feel resistant to do all the work that is necessary, figuring out what to make, shopping, storing, preparing and chopping, and cooking. I know it may not sound like much to everyone, but every step of the way seems like such a bore and so tedious. I'm trying to be mindful and take my time and accept that this is how good wholesome food is created. I'm trying to think love in every step and movement through a recipe. Maybe it will get easier. *sigh* The only other thing I am thinking of adding is oats for breakfast. It is the only other thing I feel is really missing from my diet. I lost another pound so am at 10 lbs down from when I started. I too need to get more exercise in every day. We are doing great! Big hugs to one and all :)

Archived