Started on Wednesday, August 2nd...want to talk?

SarahSun

This is my first Whole30...I started on Wednesday, August 2nd. I would love to hear what people are eating and if their tastebuds are as grumpy about the changes as mine are. I am distracting myself with the 30-day guide and forums...if I didn't have kids to watch, I think I would literally feel like laying in bed the entire day. I know all of these negative feelings are only temporary...I am definitely looking forward to a time when my energy and happiness is no longer directly connected to amount of sugar I consume!!!!!

Is there anyone else out there whose tastebuds are not "on-board" yet?

Hi there, I started Sunday, July 30. I was missing sugar first few days but not as much now. I miss my condiments! I feel like I've been doing a ton of research. I was making a lot of my own salad dressings but I always added honey or agave, so I can't use these. It's definitely a learning experience. 

I also started the program for the first time on August 2nd--we are start buddies! The mid-week start was a choice I made because all of my weekends have been incredibly busy (weddings, camping, concerts) this summer. I had time after work to get all my supplies the Tuesday before and it took me a really long time. I spent a ton of time in the produce aisle looking for things I hadn't bought before.

So far I am missing dairy a lot, and last night I needed to make Mac and cheese for my husband, who just had oral surgery. IT WAS TOUGH. The good news is that I love unsweetened iced tea and Klarbrunn sparkling water, and I also love meat/seafood, so those are keeping me sane. 

My first breakfast recipe was a sweet potato-encrusted egg quiche with spinach, leeks, and bacon. Really, really good, and freezable so I can eat some this week and save some for later weeks.  My friend also brought over a Whole30 compliant potato/hard boiled egg salad with green onions and an avocado oil-based mayo that was pretty yummy. I think I'm finding that discovering healthy ways to make familiar recipes has made his feel like a fun "project" rather than a diet so far.

• Moderators
On August 5, 2017 at 10:38 AM, CPerez said:

Hi there, I started Sunday, July 30. I was missing sugar first few days but not as much now. I miss my condiments! I feel like I've been doing a ton of research. I was making a lot of my own salad dressings but I always added honey or agave, so I can't use these. It's definitely a learning experience. 

You can definitely still make salad dressings... there are thousands of amazing recipes online if you google 'whole30 salad dressing'.  You may find that after you've done your Whole30 with your home made salad dressings that you don't like the sweetened ones anymore... I have a ceaser salad dressing recipe that is amazing and a friend made the same one but added a touch of sweetner and I couldn't even choke it down... :)

25 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You can definitely still make salad dressings... there are thousands of amazing recipes online if you google 'whole30 salad dressing'.  You may find that after you've done your Whole30 with your home made salad dressings that you don't like the sweetened ones anymore... I have a ceaser salad dressing recipe that is amazing and a friend made the same one but added a touch of sweetner and I couldn't even choke it down... :)

That's good to hear.  I went to Whole Foods on Friday and got some Tessamae Balsamic Vinaigrette.  It's good, just not my preference.  My problem is I have a terrible sweet tooth, which is one reason I wanted to do Whole 30.  I need to get it under control.  Once I start eating sweets, I have no control.  I can't stop, it's like an addiction!

Could you share your ceasar dressing recipe?  

Thanks, SugarcubeOD.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, CPerez said:

That's good to hear.  I went to Whole Foods on Friday and got some Tessamae Balsamic Vinaigrette.  It's good, just not my preference.  My problem is I have a terrible sweet tooth, which is one reason I wanted to do Whole 30.  I need to get it under control.  Once I start eating sweets, I have no control.  I can't stop, it's like an addiction!

Could you share your ceasar dressing recipe?  

Thanks, SugarcubeOD.  

Sure!

Dump the following into a jar or a magic bullet cup:

3/4 cup of EVOO

1 egg

Juice of one lemon 

around 3 anchovies or a blob of anchovie paste (or if you don't like anchovies, throw some capers in)

Garlic (I don't measure, I use a heaping teaspoon of the minced garlic from costco, but probably about 2-3 cloves)

Salt and pepper (salt at the end after you've put the anchovies in and mixed it because they can be very salty)

Buzz it all together and store in the fridge.  If it doesn't emulsify, stick the whole thing in the fridge and then reblend when it's all cold... for some reason sometimes it doesn't... if you can't get it to, then consider it more of a ceaser vinegarette... it's weird looking but delish all the same.

5 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Sure!

Dump the following into a jar or a magic bullet cup:

3/4 cup of EVOO

1 egg

Juice of one lemon 

around 3 anchovies or a blob of anchovie paste (or if you don't like anchovies, throw some capers in)

Garlic (I don't measure, I use a heaping teaspoon of the minced garlic from costco, but probably about 2-3 cloves)

Salt and pepper (salt at the end after you've put the anchovies in and mixed it because they can be very salty)

Buzz it all together and store in the fridge.  If it doesn't emulsify, stick the whole thing in the fridge and then reblend when it's all cold... for some reason sometimes it doesn't... if you can't get it to, then consider it more of a ceaser vinegarette... it's weird looking but delish all the same.

Thank you! I will pick up some anchovies this week and give it a try.  

I started on August 4th! I had my first food dream last night. Yesterday I went to the fair with my boyfriend and there were these delicious looking deep fried cheeseburger balls....I dreamed I ate one that was accidentally on my plate, and then had to start over!  I was glad it wasn't real lol.

Archived