Thinking Twice about starting now

travelingidahogirl

I already signed up to start--day 1 is today--but I just read the "Thinking About a Holiday Whole30?" article, and it has hit home for me. For the past couple of days, since I decided to try this, I have been so stressed, knowing that I will fail. I hate to admit that--I know I am setting myself up to fail, but how do I unbelieve something?

The article makes sense. The biggest reason for NOT starting now is the stress it will add. I actually think I will have less holiday temptation than many people. I live in Italy and won't be attending big family dinners (of course, I live in the land of pasta...but that won't change after the holidays, so I will have to figure out how to deal with that, one way or another).

I really decided to try Whole 30 with minimal information as to how much planning this will take. Now that I've done my shopping and trying to meal plan for the next week-ish, I am super stressed. I work full time, and I know I have many weak moments ahead related too tired to figure this out at the end of the day and lunch-packing mornings. Maybe if I spent November and December dabbling in Whole30 recipes, shopping, arming myself with quick and easy meals--AND (critically important) making conscious decisions to avoid the sweets and breads that I mindlessly and uncontrollably eat ALL THE FREAKING TIME--maybe that is a better idea then starting now, and restarting Monday and restarting 25 more times in the next two months?

I know this is long (I'm a rambler). If you're still reading, please tell me what you think. Am I just fooling myself, making excuses? Can I send a request to change my start date to December 26? I am racked with guilt and the haven't even started trying yet.

There's no better time than the present! The holidays do create a challenge for many, but if that isn't a particular issue for you, I say just dive in! Give it all you've got bc it is worth it, YOU are worth it. And if you slip up, you do -- it isn't a catastrophe, you just learn from it and move on. You won't regret it, and you could wait a long time if you hold out for the "right" moment to begin.

Ok, you made me go and read the article and as always, it makes a lot of sense. Only you can decide whether it applies to your situation or not. I would do a couple of things. First get rid of the whole idea of setting yourself up to fail. Tell yourself I WILL NOT FAIL whenever I decide to do it. Secondly ask yourself, really honestly now, does the article apply to your situation or are you grasping it as an excuse. No one knows the answer to that except you and you don't have to tell anyone else as long as you're honest with yourself. :ph34r:

W30 is definitely easier with planning and preparation but don't get so bogged down that planning becomes an end in itself rather than a means to a goal. I agree making food decicions when you're just in exhausted and stressed from work is definitely hard, so is planning lunches to take with you when you're rushing around in the morning getting ready. Spending some time at the weekend or day off planning what you're having for dinners makes it a lot easier. You come in, you know what you're having, you don't have to think, you just throw it on, have it and relax. Bag up your lunch and sort out your breakfast before you go to bed (plus lay out your clothes for the morning - an old fly-lady trick) and chaos really is kept to a minimum.

As Ann said there's no time like the present to jump in, the water's warm. On the other hand it'll still be here and still be warm after the holidays. :) Mind you, so will all the stress from your job :( Take a deep breath and try to look at the situation objectively - if you were advising someone else when to start, what would you say? Decide when suits you best, jump in then and let us know how you're getting on. good luck whatever you decide

OK... So you wait til after the holidays..... Start jan 1.... Wait a min, my cousins wedding is in Feb.... Lets start then.

Hold on Easter is coming up....I can't miss Easter brunch!!!! Then I'll start!!! Vacation over spring break, cruise during the summer........

Eat like a European and enjoy all the wonderful, fresh meat,fish,local produce,olives, oils, farm fresh eggs.... That Italy has to offer. Pasta! Let me at some prosciutto de Parma!

I know my opinion may be different from the others, but I do believe you have to set yourself up for success.

I think you can start whenever you want to and when it feels right. After reading It Starts with Food, I knew I had to start immediately. I was not going to be faced with the holidays, however.

I like your plan on learning the way to eat, and meals to prepare ahead of time to leave you with the knowledge of how to be 100% on day 1. I would not say that you are afraid of failing, but that the stress of navigating this food-centric time is affecting you. Stress in the long run could not only derail you, it can just make you sicker.

You have to do what is right for you. Ease into it, eat mostly compliant meals the majority of the time, yet enjoy the holidays. Whole30 isn't going anywhere and it will be ready when you are.

Just my opinion!

Keep in mind that the Whole30 isn't meant to torture you. If there are certain foods that are special (not everyday items), you can have them. Just be ready for the consequences...tired, tummy ache, etc. However, you need to eat those foods without guilt. I plan to eat a few special foods at Christmas, but keep the rest of my diet compliant. AND I am not going to let Christmas eating linger over many days. I will eat my special foods on one day...no leftovers...no falling into the traditional mind-set of "dieting starting January 1st. This is a lifestyle change. I am proud of myself for making this change. There isn't an "end date" or "restart date" for me. I'm already into it and reaping the benefits. One of those benefits is that I CAN choose to have special foods. I'm aware that the next day will hurt, but I will prepare by making sure that all of my favorite compliant foods are ready to go. I don't think there is anything wrong with starting your whole30 now and allowing yourself a day for the special things. Just one day. Then restart your Whole30. Your body will be ahead of the game. Why continue to eat bad foods from this point up through the holidays? Think of the destruction you are doing to your body for the sake of one holiday...it is ONE day. There are many days left before Christmas that you can choose to be healthy and do something awesome for your body. You can do this!!!! Best wishes and Merry Christmas! :D

I think that either way can work. I did find my first Whole30 to be rather stressful and a lot of that had to do with getting use to how to cook and feed myself. So your plan to get use to cooking and eating for a month or two is a good one. But also, since you already have the food and a good idea of what to do, why not give it a try? My first Whole30 took place during an extremely busy and celebration filled month. We had my son's 4 year birthday (with cake, of course), my 5 year wedding anniversary, my own birthday and my daughters 12 year birthday (with more cake) during my reintroduction stage. I found that eating Whole30 made me feel good and as long as I was well fed and had healthy snacks (and tea) around I wasn't bothered by the cupcakes, cake, pizza, etc. My husband and i went out of town for my birthday and we made special meals each night. We were prepared and it turned out great. It felt really special without having non-Whole 30 foods. We brewed berry herb tea and chilled it and served it in wine glasses for a special treat.

Starting now could give you a great boost before the holidays and help you navigate holiday foods a little better. If you start now you still have plenty of time before the Christmas holidays. I also understand not wanting to set up for failure. I'd say if you already have done your shopping give it a whirl. As for weak moments, find something Whole30 compliant you can use to redirect yourself. I found I really like tea, it feels special and there are so many choices and flavors. I drink different kinds of tea throughout the day and I feel like I'm giving myself a special treat and that makes the other "treats" not nearly as appealing.

In the end, you know yourself best and know what you can handle. Then again, you might just surprise yourself. You are strong and can do whatever you set your mind to. Good luck to you!!

Hey - I feel like I'm in the same boat, so I'll share my thoughts. I totally know what you mean being afraid of giving in during the holidays. I'm doing my Whole30 now, and I'm afraid of that too. I actually just had a dream that it was Thanksgiving and I gave into eating cake! That scared the crap out of me. I realized the holiday is something I really have to prepare for, mentally. I have to come up with a strategy to keep myself strong when everyone around me will be indulging. I figure one really good strategy is to learn how to make paleo-treats, even though we are supposed to avoid those if we can. However, I know when I'm in a situation in which I really have to restrain myself, it makes me cranky and annoyed, not good feelings to have during the holiday, during the few days I get to see my family. My plan is to learn some good paleo brownie or cupcake recipes and make them for the one day that I know will be a challenge. I know myself, and I know I need to do that.

Since I also struggle with being tired at night and not having enough time to prepare food all the time, I'll share with you the way I'm trying to deal with it. For me, I need to make foods available that are both Whole30 compliant and almost immediately ready to eat (i.e. less than 5 minutes to prepare). I bought a bunch of canned vegetables (e.g. asparagus, butternut squash, olives, spinach), that I can just heat up when I get home. I bought pre-cut kale and shredded carrots that I throw into a tupperware with canned salmon, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar for lunch. I am also planning on making some homemade turkey or chicken jerky to have around (so I don't eat nuts for snacks all the time). I know you are not supposed to snack during Whole30, but stress reduces the strength of my willpower. I admit that to myself rather than pretend like it won't happen. I'd rather eat W30-compliant snacks than non-W30 compliant ones. I'm slowly trying to build up my willpower, while at the same time learning from past mistakes and knowing exactly what situations set me up for failure. I'm also going to take some of that turkey jerky I make home with me for the holidays!

Lastly, with regards to the hypothetical situation in which you "start over 25 times"... persistence is one of the keys to life. The reason is because everyone falls down. I wish I never messed up, but I do. And the only way to ever reach the goal is to get back up and learn from the past. I could hate myself for messing up and never try it again, or I could keep trying and get better every time. And I think, like Fenderbender said, there is always going to be some event that has potential to mess us up. The best way to get through those events successfully is to PRACTICE getting through those events successfully by just going for it.

This perspective is what helps me, but clearly others think differently. Just wanted to share in case it helps you!

I had those very thoughts when I decided to do my first Whole30 ten days ago. I had read the very article that you read and thought, "Maybe I should wait." But then I know it is just another day to eat. We eat every day. Thanksgiving is just another food day. Yes, there will be special items that aren't available everday that might upset the apple cart, but it's your choice! If you want to partake of small portions of those items, well, it's ONE day. If you feel you cannot control yourself, then start your Whole30 on Nov. 23 - the day after Thanksgiving. You'll have 30 days before Christmas. We put pressure on ourselves. The preparing of the food is not that difficult. Go for simple meals in the beginning. Anything more difficult just save until the weekend. Just make your decision and do it and tell yourself you will succeed!

I saw this site a month ago from a reference from the sock doc. I was following his low fodmap paleo for a month before that. I didn't take to this at first as I thought it would be too hard and I was already paleo... But came back to it as although paleo, I was snacking too much on fruit and nuts, having lots of paleo desserts, gaining weight and obsessing about food TOO much. So I started 3 days ago! It's hard but it's also a relief to be doing something right. So I don't have your answer because on the one hand I am sure it has helped that I got to practice a bit before hand and wasn't toxic with processed stuff at least... But i also couldn't get the balance right without knowing/following the magic template that allows your appetite to correct itself. Good luck anyway!

Thank you, everyone, for responding. I am in Day 2. When I put it off just one day, I ate a bag of Oreos because it was my "last chance." Clearly, I am unable to put this off. My husband is willing to do this with me and that is a big help. If we have to start over, we start over. I will do my best, and my mind is right and ready right now.

I really appreciate everyone's response.

Thank you, everyone, for responding. I am in Day 2. When I put it off just one day, I ate a bag of Oreos because it was my "last chance." Clearly, I am unable to put this off. My husband is willing to do this with me and that is a big help. If we have to start over, we start over. I will do my best, and my mind is right and ready right now.

I really appreciate everyone's response.

My wife and I kept each other accountable. I hated the thought of my screw-up causing her diligence to be undone, so it was super motivating. Good luck. You got this. :-)

Archived