Pre/Post Workout Snack Ideas

Brie Bacotti

Hello,

im on day 6 and I'm really struggling with pre and post workout options. 

I typically workout at the end of the day. I'm in sales so I'm on the road all day and keep my food in a cooler in the car. This week I made deviled eggs to have pre workout. I am struggling to find a good post workout option. 

I tried going straight home and eating dinner which consisted of sweet potato, grilled chicken and broccoli. I found that it was taking me longer than 30 mins to actually eat it and I ended up snacking on a lot of cherries in the process. 

I need some better pre and post workout ideas that are realistic to have in the car with me all day. 

Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated! 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Brie Bacotti said:

Hello,

im on day 6 and I'm really struggling with pre and post workout options. 

I typically workout at the end of the day. I'm in sales so I'm on the road all day and keep my food in a cooler in the car. This week I made deviled eggs to have pre workout. I am struggling to find a good post workout option. 

I tried going straight home and eating dinner which consisted of sweet potato, grilled chicken and broccoli. I found that it was taking me longer than 30 mins to actually eat it and I ended up snacking on a lot of cherries in the process. 

I need some better pre and post workout ideas that are realistic to have in the car with me all day. 

Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Have you googled 'whole30 post workout ideas' or anything similar? This has been discussed enthusiastically all over this forum. The recommendation is lean protein and starchy carb... anything that fits into that category works.  Also, i note that your dinner listed does not have fat in it... have another gander at the template linked in my signature below.

Hi @Brie Bacotti. If you are keeping deviled eggs in the car all day, you could just have an extra and eat just the white post-workout. Per ISWF, you don't need the starchy carb unless you are doing a lot of HIIT, so I skip it entirely. I've also taken bags of chicken and sweet potatoes with me to the gym, if you're needing carbs. I like roasted sweet potatoes at ALL temperatures, so it didn't bother me to eat it cold. Think of it like a salad. :) 

I love the whole30 salmon cakes.  I make them in a batch and then bring them to work. You can heat them up or eat them cold.  They are super easy, and contain your protein (salmon) and carb (sweet potatoes). The recipe is in the Whole30 book.  Read the label on your canned salmon though.  I have also made tuna salad (with the whole30 mayo, celery chunks, salt, pepper, lemon juice) and put in a container. Pack lettuce leaves in a separate container. I use Boston bib or butter lettuce  because it makes a good "cup" and does not have a huge stalk.  You can then make a "tuna wrap" out of the lettuce and tuna.  Throw a few slices of avocado on it and you'll get a healthy dose of fat.   The "Wild Selection" brand of tuna only contains tuna and water, no soy.  Chicken salad would work well too.  Use shredded chicken, whole30 mayo and add what ever else you like ( I use celery, grapes, walnuts, chopped apples, green onion, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper) You wont even need the lettuce, just eat with a fork. My favorite pre/post workout beverage is cocoanut water.  You can cut it with regular water or seltzer water, add ice and it is very tasty.  I also like sweet potatoes with ghee and cinnamon post work out.  Bake a bunch of sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week, mash, stir in ghee and cinnamon while they are hot, put  them in a container and the and you can scoop out what you need each day.  Eat hot or cold.  

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, farrellcat said:

I love the whole30 salmon cakes.  I make them in a batch and then bring them to work. You can heat them up or eat them cold.  They are super easy, and contain your protein (salmon) and carb (sweet potatoes). The recipe is in the Whole30 book.  Read the label on your canned salmon though.  I have also made tuna salad (with the whole30 mayo, celery chunks, salt, pepper, lemon juice) and put in a container. Pack lettuce leaves in a separate container. I use Boston bib or butter lettuce  because it makes a good "cup" and does not have a huge stalk.  You can then make a "tuna wrap" out of the lettuce and tuna.  Throw a few slices of avocado on it and you'll get a healthy dose of fat.   The "Wild Selection" brand of tuna only contains tuna and water, no soy.  Chicken salad would work well too.  Use shredded chicken, whole30 mayo and add what ever else you like ( I use celery, grapes, walnuts, chopped apples, green onion, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper) You wont even need the lettuce, just eat with a fork. My favorite pre/post workout beverage is cocoanut water.  You can cut it with regular water or seltzer water, add ice and it is very tasty.  I also like sweet potatoes with ghee and cinnamon post work out.  Bake a bunch of sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week, mash, stir in ghee and cinnamon while they are hot, put  them in a container and the and you can scoop out what you need each day.  Eat hot or cold.  

All this food sounds amazing!  Just a quick reminder that pre workout is protein and fat and post workout is lean protein and starchy carbs, NO fat... fat slows down the absorption of protein into the body and we want it to get in there in the window (0-45 min after workout).  The sweet potato mash with the ghee and cinnamon done at the beginning of the week is a wicked tip for meals tho!

Tuna cakes would be a better option for post workout too as salmon is a fatty fish... I've never made tuna cakes but I imagine they go much like the salmon ones... 

I typically workout/run early in the morning.  Any recommendations for easy, small pre-workout snack?  I go as early as 6:00 and find it difficult to eat much. Before Whole 30 I would eat nothing.  I will eat a full meal for breakfast after...

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, antytrebs said:

I typically workout/run early in the morning.  Any recommendations for easy, small pre-workout snack?  I go as early as 6:00 and find it difficult to eat much. Before Whole 30 I would eat nothing.  I will eat a full meal for breakfast after...

A hard boiled egg, maybe with a little mayo. Leftover chicken, maybe with a little guacamole. 

Archived