Disguise the Veggies

Current Situation: This is my 4th or 5th (ok I've lost count people) Whole 30. I am a happy carnivore and do not struggle eating the protein piece...ever.

Struggle: I loathe veggies. I've forced myself to incorporate veg because those are the rules. Before my first W30 I disliked all of them with the exception of corn; which doesn't count anyhow! Now I can tolerate cauliflower in rice form, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, and butternut squash. Carrots only if they're mixed up with sweet potatoes & parsnips. It's a texture, smell, and taste struggle. Lettuce & broccoli I detest...in all forms. The kids love to have a monthly meal where I have to accept a 'no thank you bite' of broccoli. Bleh! :blink:

Need: Now I know I need additional veg in my diet. I do attempt to trick myself to incorporate leafy greens. I'm straight out of a Dr. Seuss book by blending it with eggs so it appears that I'm eating green eggs & whole30 bacon. What other strategies/suggestions can you provide to help me get more greens & veg into my meals? I'm open to new ninja ways of tricking myself! All help is greatly appreciated!:ph34r:

• Moderators

Have you tried sauteeing the greens?  How about mushrooms, eggplant, asparagus... you are a little heavy on the starchy carbs in the list of things you like to eat (tolerate).

How about making a blended soup?  Roasting veggies in the oven at high heat (435-450) brings out the sweetness in them (yes, even broccoli!).  When I make chili, I put zuchinni, mushrooms, peppers, onions, celery etc... anything I can find in the fridge... I don't worry too much about chopping them small because I personally love veggies, but what if you diced it all small?

Cucumber boats to fill with tuna or chicken salad? shredded veggies into burger meat/meatloaf?

Honestly, just keep trying veggies that you think you don't like... I haaaaated cauliflower until about two weeks ago when I roasted it with eggplant and served it with a tahini sauce and a green chili and cilantro lime sauce.... 

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:23 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Honestly, just keep trying veggies that you think you don't like... I haaaaated cauliflower until about two weeks ago when I roasted it with eggplant and served it with a tahini sauce and a green chili and cilantro lime sauce.... 

Okay, this sounds so good! Lots of eggplant in our CSA pickups lately - do you have a recipe for the green chili and cilantro lime sauce?!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, racheleats said:

Okay, this sounds so good! Lots of eggplant in our CSA pickups lately - do you have a recipe for the green chili and cilantro lime sauce?!

Here's the whole recipe...I didn't actually use the dukkah in this case becasue I didn't have the nuts to make it but it was amazing!  The cilantro lime sauce was dead easy and SO GOOD!

https://hanadykitchen.com/2017/01/19/roasted-cauliflower-and-aubergine-with-dukkah-and-chili-cilantro-sauce/

39 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Here's the whole recipe...I didn't actually use the dukkah in this case becasue I didn't have the nuts to make it but it was amazing!  The cilantro lime sauce was dead easy and SO GOOD!

https://hanadykitchen.com/2017/01/19/roasted-cauliflower-and-aubergine-with-dukkah-and-chili-cilantro-sauce/

Thank you!!

• 5 weeks later...

When I brown ground beef or turkey, I try to dice up eggplant, onion and pepper into it to "hide" the eggplant. I am sure this would work with other veggies too.  I also make sweet potato hash for breakfast for the week in advance. When I divide it up, I put a handful of spinach in the bottom of the bowl, then when I warm it up it wilts and is disguised in the hash. 

Archived