1st Time and Feeling Lethargic

Lowryn

Hello!  This is my first time attempting a round of whole30.  I just had my second baby about 4 months ago and desperately needed a reset with all of the junk I'd been eating.  I am on day 5 and am just not feeling great.  I feel run down and sort of out of it and hungry alllll day long no matter what I eat.  I've felt this way pretty much since day 2. Is this normal to start?  I am breast feeding as well so I'm not sure if that's effecting me too.  Anyways, just wondering if anyone else felt this way in the start and when I should start to feel better!

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Lowryn said:

Hello!  This is my first time attempting a round of whole30.  I just had my second baby about 4 months ago and desperately needed a reset with all of the junk I'd been eating.  I am on day 5 and am just not feeling great.  I feel run down and sort of out of it and hungry alllll day long no matter what I eat.  I've felt this way pretty much since day 2. Is this normal to start?  I am breast feeding as well so I'm not sure if that's effecting me too.  Anyways, just wondering if anyone else felt this way in the start and when I should start to feel better!

Well, it's pretty normal to feel tired, but it's also pretty common that people aren't eating enough, which can add to the tired feeling. If you're hungry, you need to eat more.

As a nursing mom, you should be eating four full-sized template-based meals a day. So four times a day, you should be eating

• 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein (if eggs are your only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, probably 3-4)
  • 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat, or 1/2 to a whole avocado, or a heaping handful or two of olives or coconut flakes, or a closed handful of nuts, or 1/3 to 1/2 a can of full-fat coconut milk -- pick 1-2 of these in addition to what you cooked your food in
  • a plate full of vegetables, minimum one cup at every meal, aim for more like 2-3 cups. Salads that are mostly leafy green stuff need to be huge, or mix in some denser vegetables with them.
  • occasionally have some fruit if you want to.

Most people feel best with at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day (sweet potato, potato, other root veggies like carrots, parsnips, beets, etc, winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash). As a nursing mom you probably want more than that -- it's okay to even have some at each meal if you want. 

If you're still hungry between meals, it's fine to eat. Just have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three, rather than just something like fruit on its own.

In addition to food, be sure you're drinking at least 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs, at least 60 oz -- and technically nursing moms usually need extra. Also be sure you salt your food to taste.

Archived