Sulfite Free Sambal Oelek (chili paste) and Sulfite rules

Does anyone know of a substitute or a brand of Sambal Oelek (chili paste) that doesn't contain Sodium Bisulfite?  I cannot find any prepared version that doesn't use this as a preservative.  I don't really want to deal with making my own.  Wondering if Harissa would work as a substitute? 

Also, how come its okay to use balsamic vinegar when they have naturally occurring sulfites but not if its added (like a preservative)?

Thanks! 

• Administrators

Did you try googling this, @Jewels_V? I did a quick google and got this result from the forum which also contains a recipe for you to make it at home:

As far as naturally occurring sulphites, I assume it's the same as naturally occurring sugar vs added sugar. One is fine and one is no bueno.

22 hours ago, Jewels_V said:

Does anyone know of a substitute or a brand of Sambal Oelek (chili paste) that doesn't contain Sodium Bisulfite?  I cannot find any prepared version that doesn't use this as a preservative.  I don't really want to deal with making my own.  Wondering if Harissa would work as a substitute? 

Also, how come its okay to use balsamic vinegar when they have naturally occurring sulfites but not if its added (like a preservative)?

Thanks! 

I think the added vs naturally occurring has something to do with eating food in it's completely natural state. You'd be altering the taste/composition of something by adding sulphites (or sugar like @ladyshanny mentions, but if a food inherently has sugar or sulphites, you're still eating it in its natural state. At least, that's how I make sense of it!

Thanks @ladyshanny and @racheleats !  

I decided to bite the bullet and just make my own.  One of the great things about W30 is if you couldn't cook beforehand, you'd pretty much starve (this was me) but I have gained some pretty impressive skills in the last couple months.  That's probably my biggest accomplishment lol. 

Archived