Looking for an Over 50 Group to blog with

RBCali

@KimmM I wish I had a magic answer to cure the lightheaded feeling you are having.  Whenever I'm lightheaded and/or nauseous it's usually from not eating.  And I'm not big on oily type fats either.  Most of the time I have the fats mixed in something else, like the coconut milk in the sweet potato soup (add some chicken to make it a meal).  I do like using the ghee for cooking and adding to my potatoes.  The Sunshine Sauce is good and stays together well.  I have even used it to make my tuna salad.  

My favorite is still fresh lemon juice and Bertolli's extra light tasting olive oil.  I started with equal parts of both in a half pint mason jar, shake until emulsified and put over cooked veggies or a salad.  You can play with the ratios/type of citrus/type of oil, to find what suits your taste. Remember it doesn't need to be drowning in it, start with the minimum of at least one tablespoon per meal and work up from there.  

I had to force down breakfast at first.  I'm a habitual breakfast skipper.  Now I'm hungry when I get up.  I'm no expert, and this is my third attempt to reach 30 days.  You have to find what works for you, and I hope you do soon.  No one likes being faint all the time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@cbs17

I

Hello everyone.  I can't believe I am over half way done.

Hubby wanted to go to a restaurant, but I declined.  I have only gone once and it led to a tiny bit of cheating, and also a whole lot of being pissed  because everyone else's meals looked yummier than mine  (even though I ate very well!  I shouldn't have felt deprived, but did)

I will try to hang in there, even though I can't think of a thing to eat for supper tonight!

xo Good luck, gang

Maureen

I am 52, mother of four ages 24, 22, 20 and 14. I teach preschool and I am everything creative!

I have thought, dealt and been obsessed with weight since I can remember! I joined Weight Watchers after college and have come and gone from it ever since. Mind you, I never really needed to lose weight! I just want to feel good, that's the bottom line!! I have discovered that it isn't about how much I weigh, it is about feeling emotionally happy! That is what I want!

This summer my new thing has been listening to podcasts. I love Jen Hatmakers "For the Love" podcasts. She speaks to me on sooooo many levels. It was when I was listening to her (and now Im reading her latest book "Of Mess and Moxie") podcasts that I started to really think about, what do I want in this life?? I am also dealing with someone that is very dear to me, and 6 years younger, that is battling leukemia. You start to reevaluate your life when you are thrown into the thick of life and death. I have decided that I really and truly do NOT want my weight to be what makes me happy or sad. I want to enjoy this life and live it to the very fullest as long as I possibly can.

To make my long story shorter, I listened to Jen's podcast featuring Melissa Hartwig and the discussion was about Whole30. I thought to myself, maybe there is a food category out there that is not sitting well in my, for the lack of a better way to say it, head! Maybe if I truly ate foods that nurish me, maybe I'll feel better, my joints won't hurt, my energy level will increase. I joined this forum because I also want more like minded people in my life, people that get me and will help me achieve these goals, people that also want what I want. I'm looking for that tribe (as Jen would say :o) )

Is anyone else having leg cramps at night?  I remember this from my first whole 30  and wondered if anyone else is experiencing them.  I'm also dreaming about food and feel a little bloated.  Seems a little early as it's only day 4 for me.  Little cranky too but I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day.  I'm a little worried as it's football at 12:30 but I'm taking compliant food so I won't be tempted.  I made the shrimp with tomatoes and pesto for dinner and thought it was really good.  I had leftover pesto from my last whole 30 in the freezer so meal preparation was quick.  I didn't like the pesto first time around but maybe my tastebuds have changed as I didn't miss the Parmesan cheese so much.  I'm putting a roast in the crockpot tomorrow so it will be ready when I get home from the game.  Weekends can be challenging so stay strong.  We can do it!

21 minutes ago, pilatesfan said:

Is anyone else having leg cramps at night?  I remember this from my first whole 30  and wondered if anyone else is experiencing them. 

Yes, going from eating processed foods that contain loads of sodium to eating real food means sodium deficiency, which can lead to those nasty leg cramps.  I've read that magnesium is part of the equation too - I make sure to add salt to my food and I bought an electrolyte supplement that I can use as well.  Making sure you drink enough water helps too.

@Mau_hutch thank you for your post!  I *just* came back from meeting some friends for breakfast.  I ate before I went and made the decision that I would only have coffee.  They all had eggs and bacon and such, but maybe because I had made up my mind or I had already eaten, I didn't feel deprived!  and the waiter didn't charge me!  Win/Win!  :)

I know I could have had the bacon and eggs and such, but I didn't want to have to think about what I could and couldn't have....so, that's what I did.  I have turned down more than one invite out in the past 9 days that I've been on the Whole30.  But it's ok. 

How is everyone feeling?  I am very happy to have made it this far without too much issue.  I was feeling lightheaded for a few days, but am much better now.  I've been *so.tired* though....is that normal?  falling asleep and sleeping for 10 hours!  seems crazy!  In the past when I've eaten different things I got incredibly sleepy and figured it was either an allergy or intolerance....but, is anyone else feeling this way?

Keep up the good work all and can't believe that I'm at Day 9!  I'm gonna do more cooking this weekend to be prepared for next week.  Anyone have thoughts on some good different recipes?  The chicken meatballs and the chili in The Whole30 book were AWESOME!

I hope all in FL and TX and in the path of these storms are ok! 

Hi everyone!  I just started on 9/9 so I'm officially on day 3.  Going great but today I just have an amazing headache, agh.  I know this will pass but wish it was sooner :)  Plan to follow everyone along.  I'm 51 soon to be 52, hoping for weight loss and less achy feeling.

Good afternoon everyone!  Saturday has rolled around again.  For me that means the weekly trip to the grocery store.  I will have to force myself back into meal prepping on the weekends.  I have discovered that on evenings when I get home, if I don't have anything prepped already, I simply don't eat.  Maybe just a piece of fruit or something.  When I'm coming home tired after work I just can't face a session of peeling/chopping etc.  

At least when I had it prepped already it took that excuse away.

I've been in San Antonio visiting my daughter since last Thursday.  I warned her ahead of time we were prepping and eating whole 30.  Turns out her roommate eats gluten-free and dairy free so everything we cooked worked out great! I've gotten in lots of long walks and shopping.  I have to really push the water though, it is very hot, and combined with the travel I have a tendency to retain water.  19 days! WhooHoo! I had no idea I had it in me! One more day here then I head back home and start prepping all over again!

OMG Tomorrow I am starting re-intro  (I'm calling it 'Cheese Day' - not because I plan to eat mountains of the stuff.  I plan on melting some on my eggs, and I'm also having yogurt and berries for dessert at lunch)

.  I can't believe either that I had this in me.  (I haven't been 100% perfect.  Only 98%)

xo 

I'm starting whole90 today to bring down some inflammation and recent weight gain. I want to keep meals simple right now while I caretake my mother, but it's harder to feel satisfied with always grabbing in-the-go foods. That usually means things lik pre-made meatballs or things I can eat from a cooler. I look forward to chatting with all of you and the community support, since I don't have others around me doing this.

Archived