I have almond butter. Now what?!

• Administrators

You don't need nut butters. Honestly, the people that rave about them ("oh my gosh, i can't live without almond butter, where have you been all my life, best snack ever, eat with a spoon out of the jar") are people that are not using it in a Whole30-spirited way.

There is not much to do with almond butter, really that doesn't involve smearing it on fruit or eating it straight from the jar. You could use it to make sunshine sauce though. (Google "Mel Joulwan sunshine sauce")

If you like spring rolls, you can make an almond butter dipping sauce (pretty similar to the sunshine sauce).  Of course, the spring rolls would need to be lettuce wrapped instead of other types of wraps.  I'll refrain from linking any recipes because several substitutions need to be made (almond butter for peanut butter, coconut aminos for soy, etc.), and I don't want to confuse people.

Almond butter + bananas isn't too shabby, but it's still not the best choice one could make (see ladyshanny's post above).  If you've never had it and don't particularly have a plan for it, I'd return it.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

If you like spring rolls, you can make an almond butter dipping sauce (pretty similar to the sunshine sauce).  Of course, the spring rolls would need to be lettuce wrapped instead of other types of wraps.  I'll refrain from linking any recipes because several substitutions need to be made (almond butter for peanut butter, coconut aminos for soy, etc.), and I don't want to confuse people.

Almond butter + bananas isn't too shabby, but it's still not the best choice one could make (see ladyshanny's post above).  If you've never had it and don't particularly have a plan for it, I'd return it.

100% return it... that's what I would do.  Nut butter is not even allowed in my house... nope nope nope... it's far too easy to go overboard, it's not an awesome choice and it's expensive (so when you do go overboard, it's costly!).  

I make a sauce for my stir-fries using almond butter, which I like better than sunflower butter. A little almond butter, coconut aminos, fish sauce, toasted sesame oil, and Frank's hot sauce; mix together and stir in at the very end. Good stuff! You can leave out any of these ingredients, but toasted sesame oil really makes it.

Stephanie

Actually, I read the comments in the wrong order so I am less inclined to use it now. However, that Sunshine sauce was something that I wanted to try so I'll have to think about that. Thanks to everyone who commented...this forum is valuable to 30 whole days of success!!!

Sarah

8 hours ago, SarahSun said:

Actually, I read the comments in the wrong order so I am less inclined to use it now. However, that Sunshine sauce was something that I wanted to try so I'll have to think about that. Thanks to everyone who commented...this forum is valuable to 30 whole days of success!!!

Sarah

Definitely use it to make sauces - that would be keeping it in the spirit of w30 in my opinion! I bet a google search of whole30 almond butter sauce recipes would get you a few good ones!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Occasionally I will bring some celery with pre-applied almond butter for part of my lunch.

Have you tried this Well Fed 2 recipe? It's delicious and almond butter works well in it as a sub for sunbutter (omit the vanilla extract for your Whole30): http://thehealthyfoodie.com/west-african-chicken-stew-well-fed-2/

Archived