Swedish Kalpudding (Meatloaf With Caramelized Cabbage)

GLBorchert

The NY Times recommended a Swedish Kalpudding recipe last spring, and it became a Paleo staple for me. (See https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018628-kalpudding-meatloaf-with-caramelized-cabbage ) I can eat on one recipe for a couple of days, and never get sick of it.  The non-Paleo Swedish version tops the finished dish with lingonberry preserves mixed with vinegar and butter.  My view is that no sauce is necessary, but you could always play with berry-vinegar-coconut sauces, maybe with some lemon for added tartness.

Since I'm now on Whole30, some of the ingredients in the NY Times recipe don't work.  I made some replacements and think it's better than ever.  What's cool about Kalpudding is that you can vary the meatloaf, adding various caramelized vegetables for example.  I've added sliced or chopped roasted beets, caramelized bell pepper, steamed chopped kale, and of course tons of chopped garlic to the meat mixture before baking.

INGREDIENTS 

3 tablespoons coconut butter
1 head green cabbage, approximately 3 pounds, cored and shredded 
3 tablespoons coconut aminos
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste 
¾ pound grassfed and finished ground beef 
¾ pound humanely raised, antibiotic free ground pork
1 onion, peeled, chopped and sauteed slightly to soften.
1 can organic coconut milk
Optional: Varied sauteed vegetables can be added to the meatloaf before cooking.

Step 1
Heat oven to 350. Put a large pan over medium-high heat, and add the coconut butter. When it melts, add the cabbage and coconut aminos, lower the heat to medium and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook slowly, stirring often, until all the liquid has evaporated and the cabbage is soft and caramelized, approximately 20-25 minutes. 

Step2 
While the cabbage is cooking, mix the meats in a large bowl, then add salt and ground pepper, the sauteed onion, optional sauteed vegetables, and coconut milk and mix again to combine. 

Step3 
When the cabbage is done, add about a fourth of it to the meat mixture, and mix to combine. Grease a baking pan with additional coconut butter (14 x 9 or whatever you have) and transfer the meat mixture to it, spreading it out to cover the whole surface evenly. Spread remaining cabbage over the meat and place in the oven to cook for approximately 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cabbage is very, very caramelized, almost dry and crunchy at the edges. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes or so before serving. 

Archived