It's a New Day: KB0426's Post-Whole30

kb0426

Yay to bone broth!

The book is new, just published in 12/12. I have been a fan of Dr. Lustigs since watching that same video. His series on obesity and sugar is also riveting, heartbreaking, and thought provoking. The message thus far in the book that I love? My obesity was NOT my fault. This just emphasizes what ISWF already taught me. Rather freeing!

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved catching up with your journey. I started a Whole30 on January 7th. But I'm pondering making it complete as a Whole14, since I just recently did my first in October. This was my reminder reset post- holiday.

I'm really more interested in a long term viable framework going forward, living the Whole9 principles. I'm worried I could use the Whole30 as a rules crutch and not really move forward, if that makes sense? So I really enjoyed reading your posts, from the holidays on:)

Happy Weekend!

There has been a bit too much wine in my week this past week. I guess it is to compensate for the whine ;). Just calling this out to myself so I can keep myself accountable. Cut back woman!

This morning I was faced with a challenge. I was out of eggs. :o What is a girl to do without eggs? Open the refrigerator and get creative I guess. It being Saturday, old Mother Hubbard's trip through the refrigerator was an easy one. It is like an empty cavern in there. Despite being blinded by the light reflecting off the clean shelves (I scrubbed my refrigerator down last weekend :D ), I spotted the package of baby bok choy. I had purchased it last week with the intention of sauteing it with added shrimp for protein. Breakfast was born.

I know so many who successfully transition from thinking of breakfast "foods" to meal 1 "foods". I guess I am a die hard breakfast traditionalist. I love me some bacon and eggs! I can even survive without the toast! For me to make this and really enjoy it was a success.

I also had 2 cups of decaf coffee with kerrygold and coconut oil. Damn that is good.

Figuring out the plan for the day. I obviously have to hit the co-op, and bring my 3 empty egg cartons with me. I know for a fact that I am getting the ingredients for the AMAZING kale salad I had last weekend. Massaged kale, grapefruit, pumpkin seeds, avocado and raisins in a dressing made with orange, tahini, olive oil and maple syrup. PM me if you want the link. Yesterday at the cheese shop (it is connected to the wine shop, sigh) I got a package of pistachio kernels. I am going to use those instead of the pumpkin seeds. Drooling. Can't wait for this salad later! Likely I will have this with some hard boiled eggs on the side for protein ;).

I have a streak of laziness about a mile long. The house is actually pretty clean after the scrubdown it got last Sunday. Amazing what a cup of caffeinated coffee will do! I have kept it up, so this weekend it will just need a good vacuuming.

I will continue to read my book by Dr. Lustig. It is quite fascinating, yet at the same time a little taxing on the brain. ISWF was SO easy to read. Lustig does not quite breakdown the more biochemical discussions down. I find myself reading and rereading chapters to make sure I have absorbed it.

I know I need to make bone broth this weekend. I am out of chicken AND beef. This girl loves her cup of broth a day!

Did I make a plan for the day with all this babbling? I guess I did. Get my ass of the couch, go to the co-op, get home, get the broth a-bubbling, vacuum, then read. Dinner will be kale salad and hardboiled eggs. Hmmm - better add mayo to the list to make deviled eggs.

Sounds like it is going to be a lovely day.

Whine and wine-free at that! :P

Ass off couch - check

Go to co-op - check

Beef and chicken bone broth bubbling - check

Poached chicken taken off the bone and in the refrigerator - check

Mayo - check

pecan butter - added to the list and check

vacuum - :ph34r:

feet up on couch preparing to read - check

There is another day in the weekend, after all. Why accomplish is ALL today?

Sunday observations...

I made nomnompaleo's cinnamon paleo pancakes. I was a bit concerned that they would not fill me enough, but happily they did! I had bacon and also a hard boiled egg, just to be sure ;). Oh, and I made them with blueberries.

I realized one of the reasons why this needs to be only a once in a while thing - they definitely push veggies off your plate!

I had the vacuuming and two loads of laundry done before noon! Winning!

The rest of the day is feet up and doing whatever the heck I want. I may even take a nap later. Just a 30 minute, sink into the couch and sleep nap, not an afternoon long one.

Lunch is going to be plantains and a swiss chard wrap like I had yesterday.

Dinner is going to be chicken wings and the kale salad that I never made yesterday. I was too full from the 2 swiss chard wraps! I now know that one will be plenty to keep me going.

I would love to take a walk today but that darned torn ligament in my foot just tells me no. I am having surgery on 3/8 to correct it. I will have to sit on my ass for 23 hours a day for the first three days. There will be LOTS of food prep before that happens! Not that I don't trust my BF's cooking...but this will make it far less stressful on us if the food is ready to go. He makes an amazing mac n cheese and chicken enchiladas :D . Great for once in a while, but not for 3 days straight!

Happy Sunday!

Sorry about your foot! If I lived closer I'd be down to cook for you. :)

Sounds like a great Sunday to me! Where did you post that plantain/chard wrap? Sounds...interesting. I love fried plantains (and I might take a page from your book and fry them in some ghee post-Whole30!). Or do you think this is acceptable on a Whole30?

Take care...love your posts!

Here is the swiss chard wrap:

http://forum.whole9l...iss-chard-wrap/

The plantains were separate from the wrap. I sliced thin, then fried in coconut oil. (Expensive!)

Johnny the mod posted a recipe last night for baked plantain chips...I am going to try that next weekend! Here is a link to his blog:

http://www.eatingforidiots.com/

I would love a caregiver ;). Maybe some day!

Just curious, as I know you're a fellow wine person. How do you find that it affects things? Just enjoyed my first glass (or 2-3, but over the course of 2 days). Obviously, a bit more of a light-weight than I used to be. But I enjoyed it quite a lot. I did find that my hunger was off the next day or two. As in, I was more hungry than I generally have been, almost ravenous feeling the next day before the new "usual" times.

The one thing I force myself to do now that I was terrible about before was making sure I had plenty of water before, during, and after my wine. I think one of my issues is that it is dehydrating to me. Really, though, it is sugar in another form. Sugar itself causes me to be hungrier the next day; it is quite the vicious cycle. And when do I tend to drink wine? In the evening hours, heading up to bedtime. Maybe I should start drinking earlier in the day? ;)

Wine and kerrygold butter in coffee are the only things I have in my life on a regular basis vs when I was whole30. Wine is definitely a slippery slope. I am glad my last bottle is empty and I WON'T be stopping tonight for more. No surprise that I don't overdose on the butter - there is no bread to put it on! :P

Confession time. I just baked cookies for my coworkers tomorrow. These are not a health conscious cookie my friends. These are my famous cookies. Mrs. Fields has hers, I have mine. There was a time when I would eat 2-3 of these in one sitting.

I just ate one.

And it was almost, how do I say, too much. It was too sweet, it was too rich, it was just too much cookie. That is a very good thing.

Dear Sugar and Wine Dragons:

I will not allow you to make me your bitch. Just because I brought cookies into work, does not mean I need to eat one today. I had one last night, and will not allow you to tempt me to have another.

Also, NO, I am not going to stop at the wine shoppe to feed you. You will have to survive on bone broth and kombucha just like you did last night.

Kombucha and Downton Abbey sounds like a wonderful plan, and sitting on my shoulder hissing at me to pick up wine is NOT going to work.

My best,

Kel

So I did a bit better this week with the wine.

Not with alcohol, however. Two happy hour events meant I enjoyed a Crispin Cider one day, and a fancy schmancy Cesar Chavez tequila based cocktail another day. I absolutely could have just had club soda, but I wanted a drink. I did not need a drink however.

Overall this was a sugary week, however. Cookies, a co-worker's coffee cake and some chocolate chips. Sigh.

I did have a rather strange experience last night; strange for me, at least.

I went to my favorite wine shop (heck yes I did) which also has a cheese shop. The cheese shop also has breads, chocolates, desserts, grab and go gourmet foods and the like.

I walked into the cheese shop thinking "oh what the hell..." and had every intention of offroading in a big way. I walked around, examining a few things. I passed by the sample of blue cheese. I left the cheese shop and got my wine. I then went back into the cheese shop, thinking maybe something would look good. Nope.

I came home and had roasted brussels sprouts and old bay steamed shrimp dipped in homemade mayo. with a glass of wine ;).

I call that success in my book.

Breakfast was an orange, roasted butternut squash, eggs and pork sausage as well as coconut milk and coffee. I have a lazy streak due to being awakened at 3am by the sidewalks being plowed in my association. Back to sleep until 6am when my digestive system decided it did not care that it was Saturday. Back to bed again until 8.

I need to go grocery shopping, and sadly, a lot of the veggies I purchased last weekend are still in the refrigerator. I was really lazy at dinner times this week, so will work on better planning for this upcoming week. I need to make a "salad bar" in my refrigerator which will just allow me to build a nice salad on those lazier nights. Still working to increase those greens and this will help! I thought of this as I enjoyed the salad bar at work this week; yet more evidence about how lazy I was.

I blame Downton Abbey. I want a maid to cook my meals.

Happy Saturday!

I want a maid too! All things considered, you did a fabulous job. :) I'd say you had a lot of success. I need to get on Downton Abbey. I'd like to order/watch the previous seasons first. When I start a series, I need to get up to speed...hate coming in mid-seasons.

Cheese, wine, chocolates, bread.... :blink: I don't know how you did that!

This morning in my inbox I was greeted with a groupon AND a livingsocial deal for weight loss programs; one with hypnosis and one with lab work.

I don't have any details other than that as I quickly deleted them.

As I sit here and think about it, there absolutely would have been a time when I jumped onto those deals, and likely would have purchased both at the same time. What I would not have done, however, is realize the key to weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight is to eat REAL FOOD.

A fact here on this forum not known to many is that I had weight loss surgery 8 years ago. I lost 120 pounds and will not live with thoughts of whether or not I should have done it. It saved me in many ways from a very sad life. I am certain that I have long since stretched my stomach back to normal proportions; there was a time about 4 years after my surgery when I was quite depressed and spent a lot of time binging on those foods that would clearly not make me healthier OR happier. Regardless, I had to learn to deal with the emotional triggers and that food (nor alcohol or shopping) was going to solve my problems. I had to open my mouth, not to shove food down it, but to talk and get out those feelings that were making me miserable.

I can happily state that now I live a life where I share my feelings. I got rid of scale worries a few years ago when I did not weigh myself for over a year. Despite the occasional adventures hand in hand with my sugar dragon, such as this past week, I KNOW what foods make me healthier now, and how to enjoy them as well. This is not a life of bland chicken breast and steamed broccoli, friends.

Breakfast today? Sweet potato hash with fried eggs and half an avocado. There were also 2 pieces of bacon (yes, sugar) and a drizzle of sriracha. It was not one of the breakfasts of the past. 9 years ago it would have been a pitiful bowl of the latest and greatest low fat low calorie sugar laden processed cereal with skim milk. Post surgery it was either a protein shake or bar. Calorie counting days of my most recent past would have been a pancake and bacon breakfast, and then I would have then worked all day to either balance out those calories by eating less the rest of the day - and failing at that - or by exercising my heart out. I have the food logs to prove it.

I am not sure where all of this is coming from this morning; was it the ads that triggered these thoughts or were these thoughts looming in the background, just waiting for the right time to spill out onto the screen? I can't be sure.

Today I shall make a bolognese sauce to top zoodles for a couple of meals this week. I shall prep veggies for my salad bar concept. I am making spicy chicken wings AND the blue cheese dip that goes with them for tonight. Otherwise, I have season 2 of Downton Abbey to finish!

Have a wonderful Sunday and thank you for stopping by!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all!

Just wanted to say I am still here keeping on!

I still make the best choices I can every day. Some days are better than others, of course ;).

Today I am starting the day with roasted butternut squash, fried eggs, bratwurst (that contains cream) and Bubbies sauerkraut.

I am in the middle of making a birthday cake for a dear friend. The cakes were baked yesterday and today I am making the buttercream and the ganache that gets poured over it, as well as some mocha truffles to decorate the top. Will I taste it? Well, a lick of buttercream yes, and likely a truffle, but I am dropping off the cake with every intention of just her and her family enjoying it.

Wine and chocolate (the good kind of each) are in my life again, as well as occasional cheese. I still sleep well. I do feel a little off. Just not the same as when you strictly follow the rules.

I am having surgery next Friday to repair that torn ligament. Sometime after that, I will embark on another whole30. Honestly, I just don't have it in me right now to rigidly say no; get me past surgery, others cooking for me, and a bit of recovery, and I think I will be ready again.

The funny thing is that while I am not rigidly saying no, it is not that often that I say yes. Friday was a complete and total disaster, and was actually quite a good reminder of how starting the day with something offroad sets up the day. We had a team breakfast. I did not eat beforehand as I normally would, and the offering was - get ready - cereal and milk with bananas. I ate the cereal and banana, then hit the cafe at 10 for some hardboiled eggs. Lunch was out at a sandwich shop - more bread. Dinner was chipotle, carnitas salad with the sour cream and cheese. The gods were watching out for me though; I ordered the chips and they were going to have to make more. I cancelled that part of my order.

That certainly is not every day, but is enough to make me say ouch. Mind you, I feel no ill effects from that kind of eating. No twisting gut pain, no disruption to my sleep...but that is one day of that. Several days would be a different story. The ouch is evident in my energy level and noticeable in my skin. I get a reoccurring dairy pimple and my rosey glow is off.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello. It is nice to see so many new faces in the post whole30 section! Lots of January and February grads!

Off to finish that cake! Happy Sunday!

Archived