It's a New Day: KB0426's Post-Whole30

kb0426

My surgery went well. In addition to repairing the ligament, he had to do a reconstruction to my second toe. This included fusing the knuckle and putting in a pin to set it. The pin head is actually sticking out of the top of my toe and is the most worrisome part of this for me. The pin will have to come out you see. I will save that worry for 4-6 weeks from now.

Recovery is including LOTS of bone broth and proteins and strong doses of pain meds. Interestingly enough, my surgeon recommends no grains as they are what seem to cause the nausea. He was right, I discovered yesterday. All I wanted were crackers, wheat of course. Big mistake!

Breakfast today is chicken broth and blackberries. I am SO not hungry, but have to have something to take my meds.

Anyways, just wanted to check in and say, yes, the pain sucks but it can only get better from here!

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A note about recovery. When friends bring you food and tell you that you are not allowed to complain about what they brought, you don't. You appreciate the hell out of them, enjoy the fruits of their labor, including homemade lasagna, and you know that when you are back on your own two feet fully you can prepare what you want.

Yes, I likely have eaten more gluten this passed week than I have in the last 6 months, but I am feeling ok. Bone broth has been a lifesaver, and I strongly encourage anyone that is having surgery to make a lot and have it ready! I had quit caffeinated coffee back in December, and this week had absolutely no desire for coffee, decaf or not. I started each day with my cup of broth, and it was so good.

While I have been eating off road all week, I have not had wine, chocolate or many of the other foods I would typically choose for off roading. I ate when hungry, which led to some rather odd meals and meal times.

Today I started the day with grape tomatoes and eggs scrambled with spinach. A week of off roading does not mean a life of it; you just have to start again when you are ready. Today I was ready.

Hi from the "Jan grad" as you called us :) When I start to feel that I am obsessing about food way too much I always read a post or two from your log. It has healthy and wise approach sonreality check happens right away. Thank you, recover soon.

Yep, it is time!

Saturday is the day! Finishing up the wine tonight and tomorrow, cleaning out the refrigerator, and Saturday I am back for whole30 #2!

I am excited and really looking forward to my whole30 sleep :) .

• 1 month later...

Good morning post-whole30 log :).

m1: 3 eggs scrambled with coconut milk, kale salad and 2 slices bacon. Oh and decaf w/ cm.

m2: salad with chicken breast, mango, blackberries, avocado and cashews topped with homemade caesar.

m3: not sure!

I hope to have my post-whole30 thoughts written up tonight. I need to get them out of my head!

Good morning post-whole30 log :).

m1: 3 eggs scrambled with coconut milk, kale salad and 2 slices bacon. Oh and decaf w/ cm.

m2: salad with chicken breast, mango, blackberries, avocado and cashews topped with homemade caesar.

m3: not sure!

I hope to have my post-whole30 thoughts written up tonight. I need to get them out of my head!

WB to post30-land, KB :) M1 is shockingly similar o what I'm planning (Eggs over easy and sautéed cabbage, kale and broc over here; with ya on the bacon, and my coffee is full strength ;) ). That M2 salad sounds divine. What time is M2? Perhaps I can catch a plane :D

m2 was indeed a delicious combination! It inspires me to try a "salsa" soon with mango, blackberries, avocado and jalapenos. Will keep you posted of course!

m3: This asparagus and sweet potato soup:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/9388-roasted-asparagus-and-sweet-potato-soup/

and chicken wings. I had every intention of putting buffalo sauce on them (Frank's red hot and ghee) but just went for straight up bird.

There were also going to be plantain chips, but there was the soup, and I got a lazy streak waiting for the chicken wings!

The pin was removed! Seriously, it was such an easy process! My doctor just talked to me, looked me in the eye and pulled it out while we were talking! Quick and I kid you not, painless!

The issue at the moment, however, is that even though the pin is out, my foot remains a bit swollen. I will sleep with the brace on and hope for the best in the morning. Shoe options are going to be a challenge tomorrow. Plus there is more *&^% snow falling right now.

Have strange things been happening? Has hell indeed frozen over?

G'night!

Good morning,

My bitch pants are on today and they are t-i-g-h-t. :angry: That is just my way of saying Winter, please go away! More snow last night. I am up early today to hit the roads before too many maniacs get out there.

m1: 2 HB eggs, asparagus and sweet potato soup, banana w/ homemade almond butter and 1/2 regular 1/2 decaf coffee with coconut milk.

m2: same salad as yesterday...baby lettuce, chicken breast, mango, blackberries, avocado and almonds this time with caesar dressing

pre-wo: HB egg

post-wo: sardines with mustard from the tin, then probably some more of this soup.

If you have warmth and sun where you are can you please send some to MN? We are getting desperate here! :wacko:

Have a terrific Tuesday!

I didn't go to the gym tonight.

As I drove home, I was actually seeing a bright yellowish-white light. I believe it is called sunshine? Having not taken Paco for a walk in ages (okay we went two weeks ago but that doesn't really count ;) ) I thought he deserved to test out my new foot with me. I had some significant swelling in tennis shoes today, and was uncomfortable, but really wanted to breath in fresh air and not gym air. So, we got out and walked. Well, I walked, and Paco ran. He had such a good time! We only did two miles, but it felt good.

Since it wasn't really a workout, I skipped the sardines and made this chicken instead:

http://www.thislifeofbliss.com/2013/04/mushroom-chicken-legs.html

It was good; I give it a 3 smiley face rating :) :) :)

I also had some plantain chips and kale which always get a 5 smiley face from me! :) :) :) :) :)

That's all from me tonight. Headed to bed early; I got up at 4:15!

G'night!

Good morning,

The snow has stopped - for now - but is in the forecast for this afternoon. Everyone swears this is the last of it, and we are expected to see increasing temps towards the end of the week. I always wanted to be a meteorologist ;).

My foot is sore. I honestly dread getting dressed for work today and putting on shoes. I refuse, however, to wear the orthopedic boot anymore so I guess I am creating my own hell!

m1: 3 HB eggs, asparagus and SP soup, banana, coffee with coconut milk and coconut oil

m2: out and likely completely noncompliant

m3: Not sure!

Off to start the day!

m2 ended up being lamb kabobs at a Greek place with a Greek salad and pitas.

Yes, I ate the pitas.

Yes, I ate the feta cheese on the salad.

Who knows what the lamb was cooked in.

I am now hungry 3.5 hours later and I am sleepy. :wacko: I have not felt sleepy in the afternoon in ages!

I <3 feta. Just sayin'. But, it doesn't <3 me!

I am not sure if it was the pita with lunch or what, but I have been in a funk all afternoon! I know dairy doesn't cause these issues with me from my first whole30.

Besides yawning all afternoon, I was having a pity party about my foot. It was really uncomfortable today people. It is like wearing a shoe 1/2 size too small, with the amount of swelling in my foot. I have a pair of sandals I wore all last summer that I might bust out tomorrow just to be more comfortable.

Deciding I needed to rest my foot, I came home instead of the gym. Enter in the feelings of guilt.

I had a handful of walnuts and a kiwi as I was prepping dinner.

m3 was a beef burger, kale chips and sweet potato fries. Comfort food to me I guess.

I also was talking on the phone and ended up crying over nothing. Nope, not PMS.

I think it was the friggin' pita.

Sigh.

Hitting the couch and off to bed early tonight!

Sandals will make it an official summer! So sorry you are not feeling your best. Sleep it out and may tiger blood be with you tomorrow :)

Thank you Nadia! This just MAY be hormonal. Not sure what is going on, but I may be getting my period early this month. Ah the joys of perimenopause and readjusting one's hormones through healthy eating!

I am wearing an older pair of running shoes to work; even if they are not good enough for running anymore, they can hopefully get me through a full day of meetings. I was able to be rather casual in dress today as well so hopefully I don't stick out too much...like I give a &^%$.

m1: Chocolate chili, HB egg, banana. I only had the HB egg so that I would have something to share with Paco since he can't have the chili. Spoiled baby.

m2: out! May go with the salmon salad. I shall see what my mood says!

m3: Will I go to the gym tonight or not is the big question that impacts my dinner choice!

Off to get the day started, and I am shooting for a much better attitude than I had yesterday. I hate when I spiral into negativity. :(

So today will be smiles :D !

Archived