I Have a Coconut Allergy... Any Substitution Suggestions?

justbrooke

Greetings, All! 

My life was coconut-heavy before this past January. My first Whole-30 attempt was swimming in coconut, and I couldn't figure out why I was still experiencing lethargy and several other symptoms at seemingly random times yet I felt awesome most of the time; I did not make the coconut connection. Fast forward to this August and I'm revisiting old recipe favorites and new finds- often involving coconut cream :(... does anyone have ideas of how else I might achieve a creamy texture in soups and casseroles? I had thought about blending avocado, but then wondered if the longevity of the dish would then be affected? 

Thanks in advance,

Brooke

• Moderators
2 hours ago, justbrooke said:

Greetings, All! 

My life was coconut-heavy before this past January. My first Whole-30 attempt was swimming in coconut, and I couldn't figure out why I was still experiencing lethargy and several other symptoms at seemingly random times yet I felt awesome most of the time; I did not make the coconut connection. Fast forward to this August and I'm revisiting old recipe favorites and new finds- often involving coconut cream :(... does anyone have ideas of how else I might achieve a creamy texture in soups and casseroles? I had thought about blending avocado, but then wondered if the longevity of the dish would then be affected? 

Thanks in advance,

Brooke

This has been discussed around the forum... go ahead and google 'whole30 coconut allergy' and see what you come up with.  OUtside of that, you would just need to experiment with substitutions.

• 1 month later...

@justbrooke Im not allergic to coconut but I dont love the flavor, especially not in as many recipes as Whole30 calls for.

I tend to substitute nut milk for coconut milk in a lot of recipes. I prefer cashew milk because I can find that in the purest form compared to almond milk which can be harder to find without added ingredients. I use a 1:1 ratio substitution. 

Personally I dont find that coconut cream really acts as a thickening agent like dairy cream so you can always use a nut milk and arrowroot/tapiaco flour. 

Archived