Unity kombucha

Dustin.huiting

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Dustin.huiting said:

Can I have unity kombucha beer. It is made like normal kombucha but fermented to 8% alcohol but the alcohol is the byproduct of fermentation and there is no added sugar. 

No, this is still beer.  

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Dustin.huiting said:

If you read the kombucha do's and dont's though it technically is ok. As long as the alcohol is a byproduct and no sugar is added it is ok. The unity kombucha is made just like other kombucha only using organic tea and fruit juices. 

Okay well you asked for an answer, which is no, beer of any sort is not allowed on the Whole30.  Regular kombucha has negligible alcohol content..8% is intentionally brewing something to make it alcoholic for the purpose of being a beer replacement.  I have read all the do's and don'ts and everything else ever published on the Whole30.

Edited to add: I just went and looked at their website and this is beer, regardless of whether Kombucha is in the name.  The official answer is no.

The health benefits of kombucha (when fermented to just that negligible alcohol content in "normal" kombucha) outweigh that negligible alcohol content. When it's further fermented to have a significantly higher alcohol content, then it's more boozy beverage you drink for the sake of getting a buzz than a fermented beverage you drink for the good things it does for your gut. 

You can't have freaking vanilla extract because of the alcohol content; I would think any liquid with a higher ABV than most beers would be obviously out. 

Archived