Starting 8/28 Excited

Scott W

16 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Well it looks like you are a good cook:). I'm using Territory Foods for some of my meals.  If you can, try eating some raw baby spinach with plenty of water, that may help you too.

Good luck!

Thanks. <3 I have used baby spinach on smoothies together with almond milk, banana, fresh or frozen berries etc. But to cover entire breakfast it probably needs some extra protein and my usual choice 100% Whey isn't an option at the moment.. Maybe I'll try with egg whites! Ooh, those Territory Foods' dishes look really delicious! I don't know if there's anything like that near my hometown. Which is located in Eastern Finland, actually. :D But I really like the idea!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Suski Hi, I'm on my day 28 today, but I thought I would let you know. The first 3-4 days I was hungry all the time! (and so were most of us in my starting day forum). I think it's common because it takes awhile for our bodies to adjust to burning fat rather then carbs. Your pictures look good, so maybe just eat more of the right foods until your satisfied! Also for me I really had to beware of whole30 friendly carbs because even though they are compliant too much fruit and potatoes really revved up my hunger and cravings. 

It will get better! Good luck!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Suski said:

Well, I suppose all the ingredients are ok and nutritious enough, but perhaps portions could be slightly larger at the beginning. Here's what I've been eating.

Breakfast on Monday, muffins including organic free range eggs and organic pork, drop of coconut oil and chives on top

eggmuffins.jpg.9ffb778d79371f7fdb14422e5f814390.jpg

Monday's lunch was the poor one, I forgot my optimized lunch at home so I had carrots, almonds, strawberries, small amount of ham and an apple for lunch. Dinner was some burgers and home made guacamole.

holymole.jpg.5ecb05b858b73251418c95d9d075f919.jpg

Today's breakfast was 4 thins slices of organic bacon and some of that guacamole (I got hungry again really quick)

59a57ed02ba1e_baconsammies.jpg.7a6da9a14613a5ea00cd4739706ff714.jpg

Lunch was green chicken curry with green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, one tablespoon of sunflower seeds sprinkled on top.  Portion size seemed to be ok but after an hour I was hungry again.

chickengreencurry.jpg.f0d492763449ccc4bb43e2148734721c.jpg

Sorry, but I tend to photograph most of my cooking and eating for my blog, just in case if something turns out so spectacular I just might want to have it again. Oh, and to keep up with how certain kinds of food make me feel, the cravings, hunger etc. :ph34r:

Have you seen the template?  4 slices of bacon (fat) and guacamole (fat) is not a sufficient breakfast.  It's missing protein and veggies so it's no wonder that you got hungry again in an hour.  How much chicken was in the curry?  Was it 1-2 palms (your own palm's thickness x width x length)?  I think you're undereating... you don't need to measure things like sunflower seeds down to the tablespoon... yes, we say nuts and seeds to be limited but you don't have to measure out to that degree.  Your breakfast on Monday had no veggies and a 'drop' of coconut oil would not be sufficient fat.  (I would also caution you with ham; it's almost unicorn-esque to find compiant ham... sorry.)  

25 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Have you seen the template?  4 slices of bacon (fat) and guacamole (fat) is not a sufficient breakfast.  It's missing protein and veggies so it's no wonder that you got hungry again in an hour.  How much chicken was in the curry?  Was it 1-2 palms (your own palm's thickness x width x length)?  I think you're undereating... you don't need to measure things like sunflower seeds down to the tablespoon... yes, we say nuts and seeds to be limited but you don't have to measure out to that degree.  Your breakfast on Monday had no veggies and a 'drop' of coconut oil would not be sufficient fat.  (I would also caution you with ham; it's almost unicorn-esque to find compiant ham... sorry.)  

I thought as much with the undereating. The veggies are missing, because I forgot to make breakfast salad. I hate plain tomatoes and most greens in the morning, it would be best for me if it was somekind of finely chopped salad or something I could drink. I have tried to avoid all scales, I used to be a slave of both kitchen scale and the one scale that used to measure not only my weight but also all of my identity and worth. :( Sunday evening I "buried" both scales. But probably my brain is still on the weight loss-mode, and I keep seeing too small portions sufficient. Curry had 400 grams chicken breast and I had 4 portions out of it. It also contained coconut milk.

I do read every label and buy mostly pure ingredients, very little anything that actually has a label on it. I checked that ham and I think it's ok. Won't be eating it everyday. :)

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Suski said:

I thought as much with the undereating. The veggies are missing, because I forgot to make breakfast salad. I hate plain tomatoes and most greens in the morning, it would be best for me if it was somekind of finely chopped salad or something I could drink. I have tried to avoid all scales, I used to be a slave of both kitchen scale and the one scale that used to measure not only my weight but also all of my identity and worth. :( Sunday evening I "buried" both scales. But probably my brain is still on the weight loss-mode, and I keep seeing too small portions sufficient. Curry had 400 grams chicken breast and I had 4 portions out of it. It also contained coconut milk.

I do read every label and buy mostly pure ingredients, very little anything that actually has a label on it. I checked that ham and I think it's ok. Won't be eating it everyday. :)

How does 100g of chicken relate to your palm size? Try and get out of the standard metrics of measuring food and use the template (your own palm, your thumb, getting 4-5 hours between meals) because 100g to you is probably not the same to me because of body size... so it coud work out that 100g matches your palm, but that would be more coincidence than anything :)  Good for you for getting rid of both scales.. it's definitely a hard mental switch out of 'diet' mentality but so worth the work!

Hey yall started yesterday too! Day 2 has so far been good, still trying to adjust my meals so I just eat 3 times per day. Honestly I have been eating 5 meals a day for over 3 years. I feel SO MUCH BETTER without dairy I just have never had the gall to kick it, Melissa Hartwig is such an inspo on IG and I have all the Whole 30 books lol so excited for this journey!!!

I began my first whole 30 this Monday 8/28, and this evening I feel bloated. I hope this feeling resolves overnight. I'm drinking plenty of water.  28 more days to go :)  I was planning to begin in September, but I'm planning to go to the Maryland Renaissance Festival on September 30th, so I started early.  After that weekend, I'm planning to begin another Whole 30 on October 2nd. 

My husband wouldn't do this with me, but my 18 year old son joined me which makes me very happy. He's even helped with shopping and meal prep. I'm excited and I really feel like we can do this.

Two pretty good days for me. These last two evenings have actually been a little chilly so oven roasted broccoli really hit the spot and warmed my kitchen! Tonight it's rainy so I found a package of leftover chocolate chili buried in my freezer.  Half a can of tuna with a few cut up hard boiled eggs made for two easy meals. One of those was for breakfast. With my first W30, the thought of tuna for breakfast would have sent me running screaming from the room. Now it just feels like something easy. As does the homemade mayo. I think I've had just one fail in over 2 years and I just turned that into salad dressing. Always feels like a miracle when it turns all white and creamy. 

Suski, I find when I'm feeling hungrier than usual, adding some more fat really helps. 

Good luck everyone!

Half way through day 2 and all is well, already feeling very much less bloated and more alert. I'm cycling home for luch as well as to work & back, so 10 miles a day, plus my running - not feeling massivley hungry at the moment but I know I will in a few days, just need to remember to start adding in a sweet potato or two on heavy work out days when the hunger starts...

Hey guys! Hope everyone's Day 3 is going well. :)
My first two days have been kinda rough because I stuck to starting Monday, despite having a work-trip sprung on me. Traveling without prepped food prove to be extremely difficult. Also had a hard time being that person in a restaurant with an abundance of questions about the menu... I'm usually the person trying to make things as easy as possible for waiters. :unsure:

Anyway now that I'm back home, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for whole30 compliant pre and post workout snacks? I can no longer rely on my rice cake/peanut butter/banana & protein shakes, so I'm in need of new ideas!

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, julie.oliver said:

Hey guys! Hope everyone's Day 3 is going well. :)
My first two days have been kinda rough because I stuck to starting Monday, despite having a work-trip sprung on me. Traveling without prepped food prove to be extremely difficult. Also had a hard time being that person in a restaurant with an abundance of questions about the menu... I'm usually the person trying to make things as easy as possible for waiters. :unsure:

Anyway now that I'm back home, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for whole30 compliant pre and post workout snacks? I can no longer rely on my rice cake/peanut butter/banana & protein shakes, so I'm in need of new ideas!

Pre workout would be protein and fat and post workout would be lean protein and starchy carb so any food item that fits in those categories is good to go!

Still cruising along, staying committed to keeping things simple. Had some deboned with skin chicken thighs in my freezer and am making Nom Nom Paleo's cracklin' chicken. (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken). Now roasting the rest of my broccoli. I pan fried some tilapia and will let it cool and make a talapia salad for lunch tomorrow. Eating cherry tomatoes and sliced cucumber for my easy breakfast veggies with leftover chicken .  In addition to staying simple, I'm trying to empty my freezer of meats, fish and chicken that I bought on sale (and had such good intentions to eat but somehow never got to!).

Keep on keepin' on!

Hi everyone,

I started this week too. I have been light headed in the afternoon on most days. My meal prep has been completely lame. I'm not a cook since I live alone.

I also hate meat and fish (couldn't bring myself to buy raw chicken last night, the smell of the Whole Foods meat dept was overwhelming), so this is going to be a challenge. I bought compliant chicken and beef hot dogs. Yuck. 

I used to get heartburn, and I haven't had it at all this week. I also don't feel bloated anymore. 

Good luck everyone!

Hi Everyone,

August 26th was my first day, though in truth I sort of ramped down to this program, so I think the only non-compliant food I had on Friday the 25th was some croutons in a restaurant salad.  It feels like I've been on this forever, though tomorrow is just day 9.

I think I am doing fairly well, though I probably have accidentally had some slips.  I know a friend made a watermelon salad for me and afterwards I was a little shocked to learn she'd put soy sauce and some sugar in it!  Oops.  But I'll be darned if I'm starting over for that!

I am already dreaming about my re-introduction.  I think the first non-compliant food I'll have on day one will be dairy.  I miss cheese and yogurt.

I re-read the timeline yesterday and got a bit of a scare reading that most people quit on days 10 and 11.  So that was good to know!  I have to be extra determined through there

Good luck everyone!

Mo

First week down - hope everybody out there is doing ok!

In keeping with my plan to do things simply, I focused my food prep today on proteins. In the space of 2 hours I roasted a chicken, cooked a pork roast in my Instant Pot, cooked up a batch of pork chops and hard boiled a dozen eggs.  That 2 hours includes the cutting up and storing of the meats as well as the cleanup. While meats were cooking, I made a batch of mayo. When I was done with the chicken cutting, I threw the carcass with some vegs into my Instant Pot so I'd have a nice chicken broth when I got home. I'll cook my vegs as I go this week, supplemented with raw tomatoes, cucumber and carrots. So I think I'll be able to manage limited time in the kitchen this week. That's my goal anyway!

Hi Everyone,

I am on day 15 and happily eating my giant protein salad (leftover chicken) for lunch.  Had roasted squash, stir-fried kale and scrambled eggs for brekkie.  Before this program that would have sounded completely unappetizing to eat.  I cannot believe I'm half done.  I think I will eat like this on some days even after re-introduction i complete.  It's just been a rather shocking reset of my previous food biases.

Good luck,

Mo

@Mau_hutch Halfway there, congrats! It's the best feeling when you nail a healthy recipe that you're excited to eat! I can't wait for my taste buds to finally change and I stop craving sweets.

My day 11 has started strong. Fried eggs, sugar-free bacon, banana & black coffee per usual for my weekday breakfast. I was having a lot of cravings over the labor day weekend that've finally calmed down a bit. Someone brought donuts into the office this morning that I easily turned down. 

Hope everyone here has held strong!

Thanks for the support, Julie. It isn't easy, is it? but it's becoming easier. 

I'm not perfect, but accepting my goofs without a single thought of starting over. I know we are not supposed to snack. I do some days (most?). I know we're not supposed to snack on fruit. I do. I know our post workout meal is supposed to have protein and fat (I think). I usually say f that, because I don't feel like tuna or chicken then.

I have only been to a restaurant once. I had a steak, veggies, a baked potato with regular butter (oops), and the steak came with flour-dusted fried onions. I scooped them off onto my son's plate, but a few were left and I ate them. (And wanted more!!!) I left the restaurant having eaten well but feeling surprisingly pissed off because my husband and son's meals looked yummier. So... I think I will not agree to go to a restaurant until I have at least started some reintroduction.

Bonus: my son who maybe only needed to lose ten pounds is looking trimmer. He's not following the diet except perhaps by accident because my cooking is different. He now looks like he only needs to lose about five pounds and he's super happy about that...

Xo best of luck

Maureen

Two weeks down and one of my goals is in progress- I really do feel more energetic. I find myself plunging into things to get them done , rather than letting them pile up. I'm still appalled by how much food I have in my freezer and am working to eat that down before I buy more so my meals have been revolving around chicken and pork. Just buying fruit and vegs so grocery bill is down. Keeping it simple, cooking nothing fancy. Today I made emergency meatballs from Stupid Easy Paleo and will build a few meals around them: marina and meatballs over spaghetti squash, mashed up into scrambled eggs, and probably just straight up for the portable protein I take for breakfast.

Anybody have any good things they're noticing?

Hi Everyone,

Can't believe I've only got 12 days left.

I had another restaurant accident last night.  I said I wasn't going to another restaurant but hubby and kid talked me into it.  We were going to go to a local chicken place, but decided that shwarma would be quicker and perhaps more whole30 for me.  We went there because I knew they had a low carb meal -  only chicken and salad.  Well!!  Would you believe it?  As I was eating it I discover  these little crumbles of deep-fried pita!!!  I should have asked them if there was any gluten in the meal, but it didn't look like it did in the picture.  So I  scooped almost all of the crumbles I could find off onto my husband's plate, but ended up eating quite a few really.  And man, were they good.  But ya know what?  I got a bit of a gut-ache,  a headache and felt a brain fog and surprisingly sluggish afterwards and for the rest of the evening.  I can't believe it.  Maybe I AM intolerant of gluten.  That would be a bummer.  I'm going t have to really watch carefully from now to the end, so that I can make a proper re-introduction to it.

M

Archived