Canning salsa, need recipe modification ideas

Jschuster

I have always canned my own salsa and love my recipe.  It is no sugar added and we always get rave reviews.  I unfortunately forgot it has corn starch as a thickener.  We are on day 21 of our 2nd W30 and I already know from the first W30 that corn products are not my friends.  I just bought my tomatoes today at the farmers market and they need to be canned soon!

Can anyone suggest an alternative thickener for corn starch that would be adequate to use in canning?  I'm not very familiar with all of the non-grain thickeners and how they should be used.  Thank you!!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jschuster said:

I have always canned my own salsa and love my recipe.  It is no sugar added and we always get rave reviews.  I unfortunately forgot it has corn starch as a thickener.  We are on day 21 of our 2nd W30 and I already know from the first W30 that corn products are not my friends.  I just bought my tomatoes today at the farmers market and they need to be canned soon!

Can anyone suggest an alternative thickener for corn starch that would be adequate to use in canning?  I'm not very familiar with all of the non-grain thickeners and how they should be used.  Thank you!!

I'm not familiar with canning really so I'm going to suggest some things and then I think you should take them to google or an online canning community and ask about them... arrowroot powder or tapioca powder/starch. Can you just cook down your salsa more so that it's less liquidy?  Like reduce it?

• 1 month later...

Archived