August 14th Start Date

Teatsie

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, aug2017w30 said:

It looks like we have a few of us veterans. Woke up this morning feeling much better. Rottiegirl2017  

Thanks to your post I ventured out for a 3 miler yesterday and now today morning as well. Wohoo. 

BecomingBrroklyn Nutpod is nut based milk . U can order on amazon. Its somewhat similar taste as the unsweetened milk.  

I am hoping the trend continues.

Alright question, how do I reference you guys in my post without having the underline throughout after the post

You can either use the quote button and the whole post you're replying to shows up, or you can use the @ symbol and the person's user name like twitter and they get a notification (this works about 85% of the time)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BecomingBrooklynn said:

Ok! So what is this nut pod stuff?! I have finally gotten used to drinking my coffee with just unsweetened vanilla almond milk or black. Does it give you the sweet creamy taste and texture as regular coffee mate? 

BecomingBrooklynn - Nutpods is an almond/coconut creamer.  I don't find it sweet, but I do like it in my coffee, gives a nice creamy and hint of nutty taste.  It's a bit pricey.  I bought mine from Whole Foods, but you can order online as well.  I may try regular coconut milk in my coffee next - I haven't tried that yet.

Hey all,  Just had to share another must have recipe:  I'm kind of obsessed with my Instant Pot.  Anyone else?  

Anyway, this Kalua Pork recipe from Nom Nom Paleo is out of this world!  And then you cook the cabbage in the water after.  Wow!  I loved that even more than the pork!  It was quite salty, which I like, but I might use less salt next time.    

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/111934821818/pressure-cooker-kalua-pig

If you don't have pressure cooker, she has a slow cooker version as well.  Not to mention a huge Whole30 section on her website.  

Nutpods were okay but just tasted exactly like the almond milk I typically use.  Had it in ice coffee today.  Maybe will try hot tomorrow.  

Day 11 is done.  

16 hours ago, superj5976 said:

Hey all,  Just had to share another must have recipe:  I'm kind of obsessed with my Instant Pot.  Anyone else?  

Anyway, this Kalua Pork recipe from Nom Nom Paleo is out of this world!  And then you cook the cabbage in the water after.  Wow!  I loved that even more than the pork!  It was quite salty, which I like, but I might use less salt next time.    

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/111934821818/pressure-cooker-kalua-pig

If you don't have pressure cooker, she has a slow cooker version as well.  Not to mention a huge Whole30 section on her website.  

Nutpods were okay but just tasted exactly like the almond milk I typically use.  Had it in ice coffee today.  Maybe will try hot tomorrow.  

Day 11 is done.  

What model of Instant pot do you have ? I have been looking for one for a while. For today, I had chicken curry cooked in coconut oil and cabbage and kale sauted

Happy Day 14!  Success:  Had a super stressful Saturday - stuck to W30 plan foods without craving or desiring anything outside it - - not even a big glass of wine!  A couple of friends of ours who are going through the same stress said we should all go get a drink.  Then the one who knew I was doing W30 asked, "Are you going to make your 30 days?"  I said, "YEP.  I be DD if we all go out."

On 8/26/2017 at 1:26 PM, aug2017w30 said:

What model of Instant pot do you have ? I have been looking for one for a while. For today, I had chicken curry cooked in coconut oil and cabbage and kale sauted

I have the Instant Pot 6 Quart Duo, 9 in 1.  It's worth it just for making hard boiled eggs!  They peel like a dream!  EVERY SINGLE TIME!  Now I can add that pork recipe as a must have!

On 8/26/2017 at 6:34 PM, Rottiegirl2017 said:

superj5976 - what almond milk do you use?  I haven't found any that is compliant yet......

I meant before Whole30.  However, I found this yesterday and it looks okay ingredient wise?  But without the vanilla flavor, I wonder if I'll like it in my coffee as much?  As the days pass, I am really enjoying the nut pods, but I can only order it online around here.  

https://silk.com/products/unsweetened-almond-coconut-blend

INGREDIENTS: Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Coconutmilk (Filtered Water, Coconut Cream), Contains 2% or less of: Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

What do you guys think?

Yesterday I had a Huge W30 Success / NSV!!   I went to lunch with some people from work and customers. We went to our typical Italian place, which is not too big of a deal as I always get the Grilled Chicken Arugula salad, no dressing (I use balsalmic). This time, I told them no gorgonzola and no cranberries as well.  And, when I ordered, I looked at the waiter, giggled and said, "Sorry, I am THAT person," then gave my order.  

The big W30 Success and NSV is that I did not TOUCH OR WANT the bread -- which is amazing, especially since they serve it with their insanely good sundried tomato olive oil dip. Usually I am thinking about that bread & dip before we even get into the restaurant and always have at least 1 piece, usually 2.  The bread basket was right in front of me the entire time and I never once had the desire to have any.

This made me realize that we still have all the normal snack foods for the kids (and then some - I seriously think my hubby is testing me - he bought chocolate covered almonds from Costco - COME ON!!).  Anyway, I have not once had the desire to have any - of any of it!  I see the containers all the time and don't even think twice. I feel so GREAT about that.

On a separate note, I had a wacky dream last night -- I was out with the family and some of the kids friends, we went to a Mexican type restaurant (looked like a buffet?).  The next thing I remember I was slightly freaking out as I had had veggies with sour cream!  OMG - I would NEVER eat sour cream on veggies.  

Day 17 team - WE ARE DOING AWESOME.

So, I wasn't sure what I was going to have for lunch today as I hadn't gotten to making the Santa Fe Chicken yet and was bad and didn't really plan out lunches for the week.  I was looking in my refrigerator and saw that I still had some leftover cooked taco meat.  I dug around and found some leftover chopped broccoli.  I threw them together in the broccoli container and warmed them up, added some chopped carrots, avocado, and sprinkled with crushed red pepper.  I wasn't sure how my hodgepodge concoction would turn out but I have to say........Holy YUM!  

HodgepodgeLunch.jpg

How's Thursday going everyone?  Mine has been interesting.  I had meetings today which lead to a customer lunch meeting.  They decided on a little Mexican place.  We went in, I ordered and watched them make my salad - romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, cabbage, grilled chicken (which was already diced), avocado.  I used a touch of simple hot salsa, no dressing.  I picked around most of the chicken because when I took a bite, it tasted like it may have been marinaded (that and/or it was chicken thighs which I'm not a fan of) and since I didn't know, I wasn't going to eat a bunch.  Well, I have a stomach ache and headache.  Now, one or both could be dehydration - I hadn't really had much water (2 hour drive each direction), lack of food (since I primarily ate the lettuce and avocado) or maybe it's a mental thing (I can psyche myself out), but I don't care - next time I go out to eat like that (a place I don't know), I'll just skip the meat.........that's better for me than worrying about it.

On 8/31/2017 at 7:03 PM, Rottiegirl2017 said:

How's Thursday going everyone?  Mine has been interesting.  I had meetings today which lead to a customer lunch meeting.  They decided on a little Mexican place.  We went in, I ordered and watched them make my salad - romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, cabbage, grilled chicken (which was already diced), avocado.  I used a touch of simple hot salsa, no dressing.  I picked around most of the chicken because when I took a bite, it tasted like it may have been marinaded (that and/or it was chicken thighs which I'm not a fan of) and since I didn't know, I wasn't going to eat a bunch.  Well, I have a stomach ache and headache.  Now, one or both could be dehydration - I hadn't really had much water (2 hour drive each direction), lack of food (since I primarily ate the lettuce and avocado) or maybe it's a mental thing (I can psyche myself out), but I don't care - next time I go out to eat like that (a place I don't know), I'll just skip the meat.........that's better for me than worrying about it.

I would guess you were hungry for sure.  But also it is SO mental, right?  I've just avoided eating out altogether which is not realistic but here I am.  I'm on Day 19 and it's moving along.  Feeling so good physically.  I cannot believe I haven't had sugar in 19 days!  My husband and I were like, how do we go back to the old way?  I'm honestly terrified of the end.  Yesterday I had a 3 hour breakfast meeting with homemade pastries and casseroles and  I ate NOTHING.  It wasn't that hard, which was nice.  But I cannot believe how many times I am "depriving" myself for the sake of the 30 days vs. what I might do after.  

Day 20!!  Food today was interesting.........We went to a birthday party for my nephew's daughter (4years old).  I had to get her presents before we left so I was pressed for time.  Before running to the store, I had some compliant deli turkey and avocado.  On the way to the party (it was an hour drive) I had cut up a green apple and had some almonds (shared the apple with the kids).  I had 2 bottles of water at the party - no pizza and no cake -- and NO Desire for either of them.  I had a couple pieces of my epic jerky (small squares) on the drive home because I was hungry and was getting a headache.  When we got home, I had some more compliant deli turkey and a banana (fast and easy).  Dinner was an organic fed, pasture-free whatever burger (they have a nice selection at Costco) on romaine leaves (l6 romaine leaves stacked together to make a "bun") with avocado and sliced oven baked sweet potato - yummy and I'm full.   I cannot believe we are almost 3 weeks through our 30 days.  I had hoped to go longer than 30 days, and now I know for sure I will.  The only thing that drives me crazy is everytime my husband says, "oh you can't eat that - what are you going to eat?"  I CHOOSE not to eat thing, I CAN eat anything I want - I am a grown up after all =)

Breakfast this morning:  Sautéed kale mix (wilted down like crazy - you should have seen the insane heaping handful I threw in my pan), some leftover oven roasted sweet potato slices, fried egg with 2 extra egg whites topped with a touch of avocado & tapatio. Holy smokes, I am so full.....ugh.  I should've stuck with just the single egg but I've read so many times that you need to have as many eggs as you can fit in your hand (and preferably whole eggs but I knew I couldn't stomach that much egg yolk) that I had to increase the protein.

On that note, this morning, I saw a post on Instragram W30 Recipes that had sauteed mixed greens and one over easy egg.  So now I'm confused, do I have to keep adding extra egg/egg whites to my breakfast?

breakfast_09032017.jpg

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Rottiegirl2017 said:

Breakfast this morning:  Sautéed kale mix (wilted down like crazy - you should have seen the insane heaping handful I threw in my pan), some leftover oven roasted sweet potato slices, fried egg with 2 extra egg whites topped with a touch of avocado & tapatio. Holy smokes, I am so full.....ugh.  I should've stuck with just the single egg but I've read so many times that you need to have as many eggs as you can fit in your hand (and preferably whole eggs but I knew I couldn't stomach that much egg yolk) that I had to increase the protein.

On that note, this morning, I saw a post on Instragram W30 Recipes that had sauteed mixed greens and one over easy egg.  So now I'm confused, do I have to keep adding extra egg/egg whites to my breakfast?

breakfast_09032017.jpg

So ya, the Whole30 recipe page should be treated like an inspiration, not full template meals... I"m not sure why they plate up like that but the template and the recommendations stand... I'll ask Melissa about it actually cause it is clearly misleading.

That said, yes you should be eating either eggs and another protein or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand without dropping... whole eggs... the white and the yolk work symbiotically with vitamins, minerals, fats etc... pulling it apart is pulling apart a perfect food.  

Also yes, kale and other greens really wilt down so the rule of thumb with veggies should be that you are 'calculating' on a cooked/wilted basis... As you saw, what they are raw is not what you actually end up eating once they're chewed/cooked.

2 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

So ya, the Whole30 recipe page should be treated like an inspiration, not full template meals... I"m not sure why they plate up like that but the template and the recommendations stand... I'll ask Melissa about it actually cause it is clearly misleading.

That said, yes you should be eating either eggs and another protein or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand without dropping... whole eggs... the white and the yolk work symbiotically with vitamins, minerals, fats etc... pulling it apart is pulling apart a perfect food.  

Also yes, kale and other greens really wilt down so the rule of thumb with veggies should be that you are 'calculating' on a cooked/wilted basis... As you saw, what they are raw is not what you actually end up eating once they're chewed/cooked.

Thank you SugarcubeOD -  I may have never heard your voice in person, but I swear I hear it in my head a lot =) .   I'm not complaining!  I like the added "good cop" in my ear.

When I saw that Instagram post on W30 recipes - I was like - "WOW, just one egg, really?  I can do that?  I better check."  Most other posts that refer to W30, I take with a grain of salt - I look at the recipe and see if I think it's compliant or not.  The eggs look deceiving, but they are actually folded under themselves (like an omelet) so that I could see everything else on the plate. I honestly could not have added any more of anything to my breakfast plate this morning - it took all I had to finish it.    (But boy was it tasty!)

On 9/2/2017 at 4:33 PM, BecomingBrooklynn said:

But do you all honestly WANT to go back eating the way we used to? I'm excited to reintroduce dairy and no gluten grains. But everything else just makes me sick thinking about it. 

True.  Now that I've made it 2/3 in, I cannot believe we're on the downward slope.  I worry how my kids will react at the end.  They don't feel so drastically different like I do.  

Meal prep for the week (I'm proud of myself):

I made Crock Pot ready Citrus Chicken (http://newleafwellness.biz/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Whole30-Slow-Cooker-Freezer-Meal-Plan-from-New-Leaf-Wellness.pdf) this afternoon and threw it in the freezer for a later date (maybe this week, maybe next?).  In the oven I have a slightly modified version of Sheet Pan Chicken and Sage (http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-sheet-pan-chicken-red-potatoes-and-sage-235985).  I had to split them into 2 pans and added some garlic to the red potatoes.  I have a pork tenderloin in the refrigerator to make Slow Cooked Balsamic Pork Roast (https://paleoleap.com/slow-cooked-balsamic-pork-roast/) tomorrow.  Boiled some eggs, bought prechopped veggie mix, prediced cauliflower (for cauli fried rice or cauli mash), and tons of frozen brocolli (one of my favorite quick veggies that I can top with anything to make a meal) along with berries, apples, bananas, nectarines, watermelon, cantalope (need lots of fruit for the kids). 

I think I'm ready for the week.  Let's do this all!  Day 22 and going strong.

Archived