August 14th Start Date

Teatsie

On 9/4/2017 at 8:04 PM, Rottiegirl2017 said:

Another $300+ trip to the grocery store today.  How's everyone else doing with the grocery bills?

Going broke.  But not going out to eat any more so I guess it all evens out.  Thinking about ordering my meats/fish online since I am spending SO much now!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the Sheet Pan Chicken and Sage wasn't very flavorful.  I did use chicken breast instead of chicken thighs (can't stomach chicken thighs - I just don't care for them).   I would have to add more seasonings to the chicken if I try this one again.  The Balsamic Pork, however, is wonderful - and there is TON!  I think I'll have leftover for a couple of weeks (may need to try and freeze some?).

• Moderators
On 9/4/2017 at 7:04 PM, Rottiegirl2017 said:

Another $300+ trip to the grocery store today.  How's everyone else doing with the grocery bills?

There are some past discussions about doing whole30 on a budget, you may find some tips to help keep costs down in some of them. Google whole30 on a budget to find them. Here's a couple to get you started:  

6 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

There are some past discussions about doing whole30 on a budget, you may find some tips to help keep costs down in some of them. Google whole30 on a budget to find them. Here's a couple to get you started:  

Thank you ShannonM816.  I'll definitely take a look.  My husband doesn't blink an eye with groceries - his answer:  "We have to eat."  

Been doing great! Not much to report other than a few amazing recipes. I switched to drinking my coffee with canned coconut milk and vanilla extract instead of vanilla almond milk. I really wanted to use a vanilla bean for my "coffee creamer" but couldn't justify $12 for one bean. :(

My hubby praised me the other day, saying he noticed I haven't been taking naps. Which is so awesome, bc I used to take a nap in the afternoon 5 out of 7 days a week. I feel like I'm getting so much more done each day. 

I have to switch over from 2pm workouts to 6:45am workouts now bc of our work schedule in the winter. (We install remote car starters, and so I can't be gone in the middle of the day during our busy season)  so I got my tush up this morning; I didn't  necessarily jump out of bed, but it wasn't TOO much trouble. 

Tried this sweet breakfast bowl this week. It's literally sweet with banana, strawberries, raspberries, mashed sweet potato, cacao nibs, chia seeds and this protein powder made from  collagen peptides . It's such a nice switch from all these he savory. Breakfasts I've been having. 

I also made a fall inspired egg bake (also sweet) that I could seriously eat every day.  1/4c ghee, 2 sweet potatoes, 2 apples, 3/4 cup unsweetened dried cherries, 1/3 cup raw walnuts, 2t cinnamon, 1/2 t salt, 8 eggs and 1cup full fat coconut milk. 6 serving. http://40aprons.com/whole30-sweet-potato-apple-breakfast-bake/

Not only do I not want to go back to eating the way I was, but I ready to start switching over my kid's and hubby's diets. I've started a strict "1 veg 1 fruit "law for lunches taken to school. And a "must eat what I'm cooking for you" law at dinner. They argue. A lot. But I've let them eat crap for too long. After them, I'm off to change my parents eating habits, then my big brother! (Lofty goals, I know) but I love them and that matters. 

I am so thankful for my crossfit coach for insisting that I do this. My performance at the gym couldn't be fueled in a better way. I can tell I'm down in weight and pants sizes already. My hair, nails and skin thanks him too ;)

I have to admit, for the first time during my W30, I was NOT looking forward to breakfast this morning. My kale was nasty (damn Safeway) so I had to scrounge for veggies to have with my eggs. I had some leftover broccoli and figured, some veggies are better than none. I was ready to just eat it, thinking I wouldn't really enjoy it) . Well I have to say, DAMN it was GOOD.  Quick omelet made with: 1 egg, 2 egg whites, broccoli, and avocado with Tapatio. I'm impressed.  (I know, I know - I should eat the entire egg - all 3 of them but I just cannot stomach that much egg yolk so I have to modify that "rule").

@BecomingBrooklynn - GREAT JOB and awesome that you can see and feel results!  Where do you find your dried cherries?  I haven't been able to find compliant cranberries or raisins =( . I have been on this journey alone at home as well.  I make most of the dinners so they are compliant (although there are some additions or subtractions made for the other members of my family - my older daughter is a vegetarian so no meat for her), but breakfasts & lunches for the kids are still the pretty normal kid lunches I've made for them (not totally unhealthy, but not 100% W30 compliant) and as for hubby, well who knows what he eats for breakfast and lunch.  I've managed around the "snack" foods that have never left the house and am proud to say, I have not been tempted by them.  In fact, during my journey so far, I have only had one RX bar and that was because I hadn't had dinner and was at the high school football games - my daughter performs at both the JV and Varsity games we we were there by 4:30 not home until about 10pm.  I had both an RX bar and a compliant LARA bar with me and decided the LARA bar felt too much like a snack (my mind was looking at it like a sweet treat/candy bar) so I decided on the RX bar.  That LARA bar is still in my purse by the way as are the 4 others and couple other RX bars that I stashed in cupboard for emergencies.

4 more days to go to complete this W30.  Anyone planning on continuing to a W45, W60 or beyond?  Ideally, I would like to extend to W90 which will bring me up to just before Thanksgiving.  

Still going strong over here.  Feeling kind of bored.  I feel great physically for the most part.  Though some headaches have seeped back into the fold this week.  I do have a constant state of "just a bit tired" going on all the time.  It's never really subsided even though my sleep has vastly improved!  My thyroid was tested in January and was just fine, so I dunno.  

I am looking forward to a special treat on day 31.  But am hoping if I just keep up with meal planning, we won't stray too far off the path while at home after this is over.  Though maybe just some cheese? ;)

The fact that we go though 4-5 dozen of eggs a week is astounding!

@superj5976 - I'm with you on the slight headaches lately and feeling tired (I actually took a 2 hour nap yesterday).  Along with that, my muscles just feel tired and achy.  I can't contribute that to my workouts because I was working out before my W30 with no issues.  I read somewhere that achy muscles/legs may have to do with lower sodium.  I am not a salt eater so that could be my issue - I do not add a lot of salt to anything - never have.

1 hour ago, Rottiegirl2017 said:

@superj5976 - I'm with you on the slight headaches lately and feeling tired (I actually took a 2 hour nap yesterday).  Along with that, my muscles just feel tired and achy.  I can't contribute that to my workouts because I was working out before my W30 with no issues.  I read somewhere that achy muscles/legs may have to do with lower sodium.  I am not a salt eater so that could be my issue - I do not add a lot of salt to anything - never have.

I have taken ZERO naps during the entire time!  That's crazy!  

12 hours ago, Rottiegirl2017 said:

Day 29!  How's everyone doing?  

Holy cow!  I'm a day behind, but it's crazy!  Hubs and I are like, let's keep going.  Well, after the ONE treat I want!  This killer acai bowl!  I've run it through the Off Roading Flow Chart and it passes to the Eat It stage every time!  LOL.

My 10 yo daughter has been planning to make a chocolate cheesecake since Day one.  She bakes a lot so this has been her dangling carrot all month.  The 7yo just wants a chocolate bar which the Tooth Fairy is bringing him tonight!

Good luck on your last day, all!  

Oh, and if you haven't make Nom Nom Paleo's Crackling Chicken yet, I HIGHLY recommend it!  So yummy and really tasted like fried chicken!  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken

On 8/18/2017 at 0:24 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Again, as I mentioned, when eggs are your sole source of protein, it's as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people that's 3-4 whole eggs. If you dont' want to eat that many eggs, add some leftover protein to a couple of eggs.  Also, we don't encourage only eating the whites.

Yes, exactly. Since most of the protein found in eggs is from the yolk, eating just the whites defeats the whole (pun intended) purpose of eating eggs. And to reiterate ISWF, the cholesterol in eggs is not your enemy. Your body creates most bad cholesterol all by itself as the result of eating a poor diet.  

We did it!!!  Day 31.  Stayed food compliant yesterday even with the crazy conference schedule.  Wasn't able to stay on target with veggies and W30 "plate" but managed to find carved turkey breast (only salt/pepper) for lunch.  Added a banana and 2 skimpy pieces of romaine and a couple pieces of tomatoes  (that's what they gave me - sandwich minus bread).  Didn't exactly get dinner.  We had a dinner meeting, but the "happy hour" went until after 7:30 (I drank Peligrino with lemon) so we opted out of the dinner to head home.  I had my reserve RX bar on my drive home and hit the sack about 30 minutes after I made it to my house.  Up at 4:30 today, out the door shortly and another long day. 

Congrats all!

Continuing my journey........anyone else???
I had two VERY long days for work at a trade show Tuesday and Wednesday. 2 - 3 meals a day away from home and I was able to stick with W30 compliant foods.
Feels good to be more aware of what I am nourishing my body with and not "mindlessly" snacking/eating. The candy and chocolates out on booth tables and offered to me by my principals were easy to say "no thank you" to, I never felt deprived or out of place drinking Peligrino and water instead of wine at evening events, and black coffee at restaurants isn't great, but bearable when I was exhausted and needed a jolt of caffiene.
It would have been VERY easy to "have to" eat off my plan - I could have come up with many "reasons" to do so but CHOSE not to. I chose to stay compliant and it wasn't that hard - challenging, but not impossible.
That being said, I'm wondering if something I ate had some sneaky ingredient I wasn't aware of because I have had a serious upset stomach since about 8pm last night - it was no fun having to rush out on conversations with customers to run to the gender neutral bathroom a few times last night.

50 minutes ago, Rottiegirl2017 said:
Continuing my journey........anyone else???
I had two VERY long days for work at a trade show Tuesday and Wednesday. 2 - 3 meals a day away from home and I was able to stick with W30 compliant foods.
Feels good to be more aware of what I am nourishing my body with and not "mindlessly" snacking/eating. The candy and chocolates out on booth tables and offered to me by my principals were easy to say "no thank you" to, I never felt deprived or out of place drinking Peligrino and water instead of wine at evening events, and black coffee at restaurants isn't great, but bearable when I was exhausted and needed a jolt of caffiene.
It would have been VERY easy to "have to" eat off my plan - I could have come up with many "reasons" to do so but CHOSE not to. I chose to stay compliant and it wasn't that hard - challenging, but not impossible.
That being said, I'm wondering if something I ate had some sneaky ingredient I wasn't aware of because I have had a serious upset stomach since about 8pm last night - it was no fun having to rush out on conversations with customers to run to the gender neutral bathroom a few times last night.

Day 31 and I just don't even know where to go from here!  Been reading the reintroduction stuff and I just can't decide on the best way to go.  Gonna take some time to put my thoughts down.  Will share in a bit.  Congrats to all!

Already started my reintroduction;) I had Patron Silver with soda water and lime with lunch, and Cuervo Especial w/sw and lime after dinner while playing cards with friends. I honestly don't miss the alcohol. I doubt I'll drink again until for a bit. Didn't have any major side effects, and I took it slow. But what bugs me the most is how my friends reacted. They said things like "now we have our Brooklynn back". Which makes me feel like I did something wrong for doing my Whole30. Like I changed as a person. I realize I can be more reserved whilst sober. But REALLY? I guess I'll have to reassess my relationships with my best friends... :(

Anyone else have any friends or family give you a hard time? 

• Administrators

Hey Guys, congrats on all those who successfully completed 30 days!

While we are happy to host your discussions about reintroduction, we would ask that you move the conversation to the Post Whole30 section of the forum. It becomes confusing and untidy to have talk of alcohol etc in the general Whole30 portion of the forum.

If you need help making a new thread over in "Reintros", let one of the mods know and we can help.

Archived