Compact Lunches (physically compact)

jperk77

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, jperk77 said:

Hi all,

Weird question--what can I bring for lunch that is physically compact? We have tiny shared work fridge. Today I brought a sandwich sized container and a mason jar sized container and they barely fit.

Thanks!

How about something that doesn't need to go in a fridge?  Room temp food is fine - remember when you took lunch to school and left it in your locker/desk from 8am-noon?  Or can you buy a cooler bag and an ice pack and put your lunch under your desk in your own 'fridge'?

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old post, but if anyone (like me) happens to read it in the future, here are my two cents:

I'd recommend you buy yourself a small/mini fridge and put it under your desk.  They are fairly affordable new but you can always use Facebook Marketplace to buy a used one in great condition at 50% off too.  The more you can take control of everything around your meal habits, the longer the experience will last.  Good luck!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BeachLily said:

I know this is an old post, but if anyone (like me) happens to read it in the future, here are my two cents:

I'd recommend you buy yourself a small/mini fridge and put it under your desk.  They are fairly affordable new but you can always use Facebook Marketplace to buy a used one in great condition at 50% off too.  The more you can take control of everything around your meal habits, the longer the experience will last.  Good luck!

Check with your hr department and make sure this is okay. It seems like it ought to be, but in some places they are picky about food and using electrical outlets, especially if you need a power strip or extension cord that may not meet fire safety standards. I'd hate for anyone to lose a fridge of food because they didn't get it cleared first.

A cooler also fits nicely under a desk if someone can't do a fridge for whatever reason.

• 2 months later...

I carry my lunch with me everyday, and the walk is not short so I keep things compact. I have a pint mason jar that I fill with shredded chicken (1-1.5C seems like 1-2 of my palms), 2T sunflower seeds (for crunch!), and a handful of cherry tomatoes. Putting them in one jar saves space. I put 2T of homemade vinaigrette in a reused glass baby food jar. I have half an avocado wrapped in plastic wrap, so  I container to take up more space. Then I put salad greens into a ziploc bag, which you can squish down smaller than you could a jar or plastic container. This all fits in my lunchbox with room to have a can of sparkling water and two icepacks! I keep a large bowl at work so I don't have to tote that around every day, which makes it easier to eat. You could probably put everything in the bag and mix it, especially if you use a gallon bag.

Archived