Soda is the Devil!

Today was Day 10 for me and my husband is being very supportive by eating a "modified" version of W30. He has cut out a lot of his bad habits and eats whatever meals I make. He isn't having his nightly glass of wine and he says he can really feel the difference in how he feels. However, if I hear him whine about NEEDING a diet soda one more time I might smack him. I have La Croix waters and he says they are disgusting. I have tried adding fruit to his waters to strengthen the flavor. I bought him some kombucha to see if that would help give him a healthier fix. Nothing is silencing the whine!  Any other soda "replacement" suggestions?  He says my "replacements" for him don't have enough flavor  or they taste "off" (kombucha).

He doesn't even drink regular water without Mio or some other flavor added.

I actually really like the La Croix waters and have zero cravings for Devil Soda, so I don't know how to help him get over it. 

Not sure if I should just buy him some or continue not buying it. I figure if he REALLY wanted it, he would just go buy it himself. Seems like he is just whining to whine. 

I've been making "ginger ale" -  sparkling water, with some muddled fresh ginger and a squeeze of lemon. I too just had to get over the diet soda cravings, this really hits the spot.

Also not sure if compliant, but have you tried the La Croix cola flavor? It lacks the sweetness, but tastes like a cola besides that. With a small splash of cherry juice, it's like a cherry coke.

6 hours ago, EllieViolet said:

I've been making "ginger ale" -  sparkling water, with some muddled fresh ginger and a squeeze of lemon. I too just had to get over the diet soda cravings, this really hits the spot.

Great idea! Thank you, I will try this too!

6 hours ago, EllieViolet said:

Ohhhh...good one. He likes ginger ale so I'm gonna try this!  Question...how much ginger?  I would just try it as I go, but I don't like ginger (hahaha). 

2 hours ago, MarieC1978 said:

Ohhhh...good one. He likes ginger ale so I'm gonna try this!  Question...how much ginger?  I would just try it as I go, but I don't like ginger (hahaha). 

For a glass that holds about 2 cups, i just break off maybe a teaspoon worth of the root, scrape the skin off with a spoon, bash it a little with mallet (but not so much so that you have a bunch of little pieces). It's really just to taste. But you need that good squeeze of lemon to give it the ginger ale flavor too. 

Found these Whole30 mocktails today. Some of them are bubbly. 

I get where he's coming from. Even after I stopped drinking soda, there is something wonderful about the sound of opening a cold aluminum can. It's really weird. I didn't like La Croix for a long time either for the same reasons - they seemed watered down. I stopped drinking soda a few years ago cold turkey and after a few months without it, it tasted disgusting when I tried it. That was WAY pre-Whole30. So if he wants to stop drinking it, or if he knows it is a stumbling block for you if he drinks it, I wouldn't recommend replacing it with anything. Just stop drinking it. There is literally no nutritional value (pretty much only the opposite) and anything you think you NEED is probably something you need to walk away from.  Everyone's Food Freedom looks different, so if yours includes soda, more power to you. But the psychological connection he clearly has that is making him "whine," seems emotionally unhealthy. 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, EllieViolet said:

Also not sure if compliant, but have you tried the La Croix cola flavor? It lacks the sweetness, but tastes like a cola besides that. With a small splash of cherry juice, it's like a cherry coke.

The LaCroix NiCola flavours are not keeping with the spirit of the program, especially for someone with a strong soda association.

Hi Marie - A suggestion for you and a (slightly cranky) exhortation as well. 

The suggestion: a splash of fruit juice such as the Bolthouse Farms selection paired with soda water is a really tasty thing; drop in a few berries, a squeeze of lime or a slice of apple in and it's practically a cocktail!  

The slightly cranky exhortation: the last time I checked, grown men were individually responsible for their own health, wellness and happiness.  I am not totally sure why YOU appear to be tying yourself in knots trying to meet the soda happiness quotient of someone who is presumably old enough to vote in the elections that choose our Presidents.  If he doesn't like your suggestions and recipes, he is welcome to try his own -and try to impress you the next time- or to fall off this particular Whole30 turnip truck.  Just as he pleases.

Promise me you'll try one more 'recipe' for him and then....just...stop.  You have quite enough to do in cooking all the meals for the two of you and taking care of yourself.

Good luck, girlfriend!  ;)

2 hours ago, HillDweller said:

Hi Marie - A suggestion for you and a (slightly cranky) exhortation as well. 

The suggestion: a splash of fruit juice such as the Bolthouse Farms selection paired with soda water is a really tasty thing; drop in a few berries, a squeeze of lime or a slice of apple in and it's practically a cocktail!  

The slightly cranky exhortation: the last time I checked, grown men were individually responsible for their own health, wellness and happiness.  I am not totally sure why YOU appear to be tying yourself in knots trying to meet the soda happiness quotient of someone who is presumably old enough to vote in the elections that choose our Presidents.  If he doesn't like your suggestions and recipes, he is welcome to try his own -and try to impress you the next time- or to fall off this particular Whole30 turnip truck.  Just as he pleases.

Promise me you'll try one more 'recipe' for him and then....just...stop.  You have quite enough to do in cooking all the meals for the two of you and taking care of yourself.

Good luck, girlfriend!  ;)

Yup. Agree completely!  We had a "Come to Jesus" moment about dieting and whose responsibility it was for what we put in our own mouths. I pretty much told him I can't handle the whining. If he wants a soda, go get a dang soda. He apologized thoroughly with a back rub and everything. He said he didn't realize what his whining was doing or how it made me feel (responsible, guilty, etc). 

We have an agreement in our house that I handle all shopping, cooking, and cleaning unless I ask for help. He works more than 70+ hours each week. This has always worked for us and if I say I want a day off, HE does the dishes, laundry, homework, etc. Because I handle everything, he has forgotten a few things about how whining or complaining about what the other does is annoying and even hurtful.  It would be like me constantly complaining that we don't have enough money or whatever when he works so hard for us.

He didn't necessarily want to do this diet, but he wholeheartedly wants to support me. So...no more whining about anything. Period. He was sincerely shamed and has decided to make his own drink concoctions without my involvement. But he did say he doesn't really want the soda now that he has gone 11 days without it. 

Archived