Anyone Starting the Day After Thanksgiving?!

Rebecca30

That's right what I needed now, thanks!

25% through and I do feel headachy again today which I don't like but it might be due to something else.

Had a heavy workout yesterday evening and might have strained neck muscles from that.

Anyways, I need to go shopping for some good food, fridge is empty and I have a fish craving.

(and nut craving again, but I feel I've had a little too much of them over the past few days...)

Have a great day and keep rocking!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tired after a week.of salad. Any great ideas for getting those veggies down?? Needs to be quick and easy because I'm not a good cook.

First thing (3 min): Grab your smoothie maker / food processor / blender and put in some kale, a carrot, an apple, a banana, piece of ginger, cinnamon (if you like that) and add some water - blend to a delicious "green monster" smoothie that rocks.

Second thing (5 min): Slice up a hokkaido pumpkin, drizzle some olive oil on top, season with salt and rosmarin and bake it in the oven for half an hour.

Third thing (10 min): While the pumpkin is in the oven, chop up some tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, and spring onions and make a nice soup, add mexican seasoning if you like my taste ;) Otherwise Italian herbs, salt, and pepper will do the job as well. (And: no need to be a good cook for this, I promise.)

Hope that helps for a start! Keep going and feel hugged!

I survived my first encounter with a restaurant today. I ended up at a mexican place that fortunately has some decent healthy options and ended up getting a bowl of grilled veggies topped with pico de gallo, salsa, and lots of guac. It was pretty good. I think I'm starting to run out of my initial burst of enthusiasm and having to muster up more will power now, though.

Lea, Have you felt any positive changes yet? If so, focus on those! If not then keep plugging along and focus on doing everything right so you will feel them! Also, make sure to have plenty of protein! Without it you can slip into a feeling of being pretty run down. You can do this!

Another good day! Went to my first ever yoga class and I loved it! Then I went to a movie screening and while everyone had popcorn, I brought a bag of toasted coconut with cinnamon and a few raisins. Yum. I shared and people were impressed. ^_^

I have noticed that a few pounds of weight that had crept up have fallen off again and my clothes are looser. Other than that, I feel about the same. No headaches, no bursts of energy. It's pretty much business as usual so far except feeling a bit slimmer.

I bought a bike yesterday (craig's list!) and took a long bike ride to a cafe to study. It was fun, but it was also a reminder of how weak and out of shape I am. Things to work on . . .

I'm feeling really good, physically. So much energy that although I never started this with the intention of becoming a workout-type person, I think I'm gonna have to just to burn all this energy.

Another thing I'm doing as of tonight (adding it as a non-food item to my Whole30) is changing how I do social media interactions. I am realizing that I have some of those internal tussles over certain social media environments that I used to have over Starbucks. It's not about the internet generally, by any means. It's certain sites. So I've taken them off my bookmarks toolbar and for the duration of my Whole30 (and until the new year), I won't be doing them. It will be a relief to just take them out of the lineup of things I have to choose to do or not do.

I don't know if this is traditionally done as part of a Whole30, but I got into it in order to improve mental focus and a sense of control over my life, and the stunning weight loss/body changes/change in my relationship to food have been surprising side effects, for me. With, of course, the added bonus of the blood pressure dropping dramatically!

Anyway, I will check in here, my own blog, and the blogs I read, and a few other sites, and that's about it. (This means I won't be posting on the FB group, ladies! But you'll see me here.)

In food-related news, I'm surprised at how my appetite and my sense of when I'm hungry and when I'm not is changing. Like, tonight I thought I was super hungry, but I decided to wait thirty minutes to cook some chicken and eat it. That's just not how I do things - until now, I guess! And really, I was fine. It's kind of like, with all the sugar highs and lows gone, my body is sending me very different signals about when and what to eat. When I did my first Whole30 I didn't even try to do just three meals a day. I just ate whenever I wanted to. As time has gone on during my second Whole30, I'm finding that working in three meals a day is a thing I have to do. Two meals seems like enough now. I know it's better to spread things out, but I just don't have the blood sugar crashes eating at my insides all the time so I am starting to understand why people plan three meals - in order to remember them. Weird.

Amy, this has been happening with me too! I have just been eating when it is time according to the clock.

I had a food dream last night and guess what my "guilty pleasure" was?! Saltine crackers...wah, wah. :rolleyes: In the dream my BF and I were eating chili and I ate 3 crackers without realizing it and then I was sooo mad! My first thought when I woke up was CRAP, I have to start over.

Besides that, I feel pretty great. And the cravings have not been so bad. Today is the BF's bday and I made him chocolate chip cookies homemade and didn't even touch a crumb! I actually have willpower. Who knew?!

I made it through a visit to a frozen yogurt place with a friend and his 5 year old. I was expecting to just have water, but they had several types of fresh cut up fruit in the topping section, so I made a little fruit salad with walnuts on top. Perfect! Better than I imagined it would go.

Hey, everybody!! I started a few days later than most of you (day 10 for me) but I just wanted to say that this is a really great thread! It is very informative and the positivity is absolutely grand! Rebecca- I really love your Pinterest board!

I had a very strange food dream about a frozen martini (do those even exist?) with a chocolate truffle in it, lol. I also felt guilty in the dream and woke up very relieved. Today I am daydreaming the sweet potatoes, carrots and steak that I will have for dinner.

Keep up the good work!! :D

Hi gang!

I was so glad to find this thread - I started my first Whole30 on Black Friday as well! It's been quite a ride so far, and I'm really curious to see where the end of the 30 days find me!

Highlights and lowlights for me so far (on day 12 today):

• Decided from the beginning not to add any starchy veggies during this period; I feel like all starches are a gateway drug to cravings and grains for me, I was SO addicted to grains when I was a vegan for almost five years, and have been working on that for months now. Want to keep this as "clean" as possible for maximum effect, and then take it slow to see what I want to add back in at the end.
  • Lots of headaches the first week.
  • Incredibly low energy the first week. I was literally taking naps every day for the first five days. While I love me some mid-afternoon snuggle-time with my puppy, this was a little ridiculous!
  • Positive: Had dreams that I accidentally drank diet coke, and screwed the whole thing up. Oddly prophetic, since on a flight Sunday evening, the attendant offered drinks and out of habit I asked for a Sprite. Didn't think about it until she handed it to me; and then I literally had a five-minute internal debate about what to do. I was thirsty, was it really a big deal, etc. Ended up letting the drink sit in front of me for about 45 minutes until they came by to collect trash, untasted. Unheard of for me, pretty proud of this one and turning an "almost accident" into a health win, instead!
  • Positive: Had a pretty awful cold last week, and managed to survive with just a couple Ibuprofen - did all kinds of homeopathic remedies that were program-compliant to knock it out without too much deadly suffering of the sinuses.
  • I'm leveling out with energy, but certainly not bounding through the fields just yet. Still working on sleeping well at night, although traveling certainly doesn't help with that!
  • I've had an outbreak of acne, which could either be residual from Thanksgiving (had grains, and a piece of pie with dairy in it, which tends to mess up my complexion), the detox process or possibly something I've added in this diet (namely, nuts, I believe). Hopefully it will clear back up!
  • Positive: My appetite seems to have disappeared. Going a whole day without eating would have been unheard of for me a few weeks ago - once I realized I was hungry, it was a HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW kind of thing. Now, it's a more distant association, like "oh, I'm a little hungry, should get around to eating at some point" with no real urgency attached to it. That is absolutely amazing to me, that I'm not really thinking about food very much and it's not urgent to me. I would have thought on this type of program I'd be thinking about food all the time, but I'm really not. It just doesn't feel that important, beyond making sure I'm getting nourished. That is REALLY cool, and literally a first in my entire life!
  • I've been super, super thirsty. Drinking possibly 2-3 times as much water as I was before (and I typically got at least the minimal daily recommended amount). Not good or bad, just curious.

I love the process of writing all this out, it has clarified for me what I've actually noticed since starting this. Wishing you all the best with the continued program!

Christina-

Glad to have you along for the ride! The low energy is probably due to the no starchy veggies. Based on activity levels most of the mods recommend 1/2 to a whole sweet potato. I know you said you wanted to limit starchy carbs but the low to no hunger and increased thirst are some symptoms of being in ketosis. (sort of like what happens on the Atkins diet.) Either way, I just wanted to let you know, you know what is best for you. Good luck! Can you believe we are almost halfway through?! :D

I have no idea how you folks know what day you're on. Haha Hell, I have no idea what day of the week it is these days. But I'm so glad I'm going a Whole30 right now. It's the end of semester at the university where I teach, my voice studio is in flux because everyone's schedules are changing, my kids' dance and piano performances are coming up, I have two of my own performances I'm prepping for, and my work life is taking a radical shift. I think if I didn't have the Whole30 I'd be subsisting on Starbucks mochas and panic. As it is, I'm doing pretty well, and my voice, which I'd expect to be FUBAR with all this other stuff going on, is (if I do say so myself) quite stunning.

Also, I live in the tropics and I'm enjoying a leafy green salad with chicken apple sausage as I type this. Pretty awesome.

Archived