Acid reflux

Took my son to the doc today. He's been having vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pain off and on for a couple of months. We're awaiting blood work results and I have to take in a stool sample (kind of grossed out about this). The doc thinks some of it is acid reflux. He recommended Prilosec, but I don't want to start him on that if there are other options. I finished W30 in September and remain mostly compliant by eating paleo. I have been transitioning the kids. He definitely had a dairy problem. The kids are gluten free and I am grain free. His issue is making good choices outside of the home. I'm having him read ISWF so he understands what's going on when he eats certain foods. He's 11 and it's all about the social scene and fitting in for him. Any recommendations on how to deal with the reflux naturally with food (to add or subtract)? Thanks ahead. I'm doing some research on my own, but would appreciate any help.

You can try some digestive enzymes - a local health food store should be able to help you figure out which ones might be appropriate for him and what a good dosage might be. I'd also take a look at how his foods (at home, of course) are prepared. Cook his veggies pretty well, especially cruciferous ones, if he eats beans make sure they're well cooked, etc.

Archived